SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2013, 06:46 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,329 Posts
Discussion
West coast events: AMA Expo and RCX

How come RCGroups doesn't support west coast events even though Jim Bourke lives in Oregon?
The site sure is well-represented at southern and east coast events.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2013, 05:52 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Are they required to support all/any events?

What does Bourke's address have to do with events being supported?

Is there anything stopping forum members who say, live on the West coast, from attending the forums and taking pics/doing a write up?

And why not ask the question in SSC where you'll most likely get a response from the man himself, rather than here? Are you really looking for an answer or is this just a way to poke the stick?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 05, 2013, 07:37 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,398 Posts
We almost never fly to cover an event. There are so many events all over the country/world there is no way RCG staff could make them all. We are always happy to put an event in the Special Events section if they can provide photo coverage in a timely manner. In the past this has been done by hired photographers of the event, RCG users and RCG reviewers.
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:33 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
Mark it all depends on what type of coverage you are talking about. While there is no live coverage of these events there are members discussing them. I have been doing articles every year on the AMA Expo and the Arizona Electric Festival. I also did an article on RCX in 2012. I do all of those on my own dime. No mileage, no lodging, no food and no freebies. No other author writes event reviews that I am aware of for SEFF or any other events. Jim travels and covers some of the events and was at the AMA Expo one year and posted pictures. I have done what I can to help share these events with our members for love of the hobby. I used to try and post pictures at the event the first night but since my laptop died I haven't been able to do that. I would love for RC Groups to send someone to cover these events and I would gladly give up my annual reviews of them. But until that happens... Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:26 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Are they required to support all/any events?
Of course not. Dumb question and you know it.

Quote:
What does Bourke's address have to do with events being supported?
I consider addressing someone you don't know personally by their last name, especially in print, disrespectful. Just so you know.

It was in regards to Jim Bourke's location, not address which simply makes him a west coast guy...a point in and of itself.
If you can't/won't discern that point, I can't/won't help you.

Quote:
Is there anything stopping forum members who say, live on the West coast, from attending the forums and taking pics/doing a write up?
Nope, and Mike Heer does an outstanding job of doing so. He also does it as a volunteer on his own time and on his own dime.

Quote:
And why not ask the question in SSC where you'll most likely get a response from the man himself, rather than here?
This forum is for "site chat" by definition. SS/C doesn't allow discussion. This forum does otherwise you wouldn't have been able to spout your "questions".
JT did in fact respond. What's it to you where I choose to post anyway?

Quote:
Are you really looking for an answer or is this just a way to poke the stick?
You were almost doing ok until this last question. Instead, now your entire post simply looks spiteful, contrived and provoking.

Mike, you've been one of my all-time favorite folk to see show up at the curtain. I can't remember you missing an AMA Expo and now you show up at RCX which just plain tickles me. I know you do it to support the hobby as a volunteer as I do in order to bring our hobby to the masses and hopefully have it continue to grow.

However, I posed this question only because RCGroups has also physically supported these two RC events with their presence in the past. One of my favorite memories is from the first RCX when Jim Bourke and I fought over a GWS Lady Bug that we modded to actually hover...a real feat in those days with a brushed motor and nicads. Between that and the Sponsors Banquet where one single table of "airplane people" managed to be rowdy enough to draw disapproving glances from all the surrounding "car people", it was fun and comfortable to be surrounded by people I was familiar with and whose company I enjoyed thoroughly.
JT Graham was also involved, btw...just to rat him out too.

My OP wasn't intended to be pointed or revealing regardless of what "porcia83" attempted to make of it. My wish is to have my internet home better-represented at the two largest RC events I work with since the Left Coast has a huge following of RC participants of all kinds. It could only serve to help everyone to grow with regards to our chosen hobby.

Thanks for listening.

mw
Last edited by Mark Wood; Nov 05, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: I hate typos
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Of course not. Dumb question and you know it.

No, I don't know it, and neither do you. It's no more "dumb" a question than the one you asked. And did you really not know what the answer was going to be?

It was in regards to Jim Bourke's location, not address which simply makes him a west coast guy...a point in and of itself.

Hair splitting much? Address/state location...for the purposes of the the comment are one in the same.

This forum is for "site chat" by definition. SS/C doesn't allow discussion. This forum does otherwise you wouldn't have been able to spout your "questions".
JT did in fact respond. What's it to you where I choose to post anyway?

"Spout" my question? That's not spiteful, contrived or provoking right? You asked a question about RCG coverage and specifically called out the owner and what state he lives in. Sure didn't look like a general "lets discuss topic"...more like you know, a question. So why not ask the man himself. His state of abode is completely irrelevant to the question.

You were doing ok until this last question. Instead, now your post simply looks spiteful, contrived and provoking.

Like this response doesn't..or the one down below for that matter? Your responses sure look a lot like what you're accusing me of. Don't get the anger in them?

My OP wasn't intended to be pointed or revealing regardless of what porcia83 attempted to make of it. My wish is to have my internet home better-represented at the events I work since the Left Coast has a huge following of RC participants of all kinds. It could only serve to help everyone to grow with regards to our chosen hobby.

Please... You tied the purported lack of "support" to West Coast events to the owners state of abode, as if one thing had anything to do with the other.

Thanks for listening.

mw

Likewise. Apologize that my "discussion" was not to your liking.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
some typos....

"I consider addressing someone you don't know personally by their last name, especially in print, disrespectful. Just so you know"

If you can't/won't discern that point, I can't/won't help you.

So you made edit's for "typos" but had to add those comments? Your earlier post mentioned something earlier about spiteful, contrived, and provoking?
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:00 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
interesting question...
I'd like to know why they would cover an event anyways... What's in it for them?

the only thing I can think of, is trying to attract new members... Which might boost revenue by attracting more advertisers.

if this is true, then perhaps they would only cover events were lots of non members might be
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Content. I don't think them highlighting an event is going to draw more people into the hobby, rather it's giving more information to those already in it. Most folks not in the hobby I don't think would be here for the content. It could though draw more people to the site, and become members, which in turn could help with advertising revenue.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:28 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,409 Posts
I don't personally cover R/C events very often these days, but I'll consider adding a California event to my list next year.

I was in San Diego over the summer scouting out the area, thinking of potentially moving down that way in a few years. I'm considering all my options from southern California to Arizona to Dallas. I need more sunshine than I get in Oregon.

We are just now in the planning stages for 2014 so this is a good time to hear your feedback. I'll talk it over with the other Jim.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:54 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,329 Posts
JB:

Either AMA Expo or RCX would be great venues for RCG to fly a banner.

RCX was moved to the Orange County Fairgrounds for 2014 and this time the air gang actually has room to fly outdoors which finally opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. Rich Goodwin the event organizer is not an RC operator himself but describes himself as a "bling guy" and considers the air side of the show "definitely bling". Myself and a couple of my venue operators are going to site the place in the near future to see what we can fit where.

In short, the Aircraft side of RCX looks to be taking a large jump in visibility in 2014 and we're all very excited about it seein's how I've been in everyone's ear constantly lobbying for more airspace since you and I flew the first RCX eleven years ago. I sure would like to see the RCGroups banner at either event!

I hear ya about needing more sunshine and San Diego is a place that allows flying callouses on your thumb to remain year 'round!

mw
Last edited by Mark Wood; Nov 06, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:53 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,209 Posts
I'll add a few pennies to the discussion. There are many great events here in the southwest, some of which have been going on for many years. The big ones are:

AMA Convention - Already discussed.

Arizona Electric Festival - Going on it's 9th year this January, and probably the largest electric-only event in the southwest. It always draws about 200 pilots and 40 vendors. Mike Heer does a very nice job covering this event.

Best In The West - Big jet event in SoCal.

Tucson Shoot Out - One of the premier aerobatics events in the world.

Arizona Jet Rally - Going into it's 25th year just a few weeks from now.

Big Jolt - Just did the 4th annual this past weekend. Fast becoming one of the great electric-only events in SoCal.

RCX - Already discussed.

Vegas Ace In The Hole - Not a large event per se, but go look at the current thread in Electric Events. Already over 800 posts in that thread, and the discussion is still going one a month after the event.

London Bridge Seaplane Classic - For over 25 years this event has been held in scenic Lake Havasu just up from the London Bridge. I'll be there again this coming weekend.

And I'm sure I've missed some other big events in the SW.

I know it's tough to pay someone to cover these events on behalf of RCG, but people like Mike Heer have been doing a good job with their own coverage. I'd like to see this continue, and maybe get expanded some if possible.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:08 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,329 Posts
You're absolutely right, Pat. Those are great events as well. I get a little tunnel-visioned with AMA Expo and RCX because I am involved directly in them. Between events in Ca and Arizona there is plenty to see and enjoy. Lord knows there's a jillion RCers that live in the two states!

mw
Old May 29, 2014, 07:29 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Here's a video from RCX this year:
GSTV - RCX Radio Control & Hobby Expo 2014 (15 min 9 sec)
CaliDave is online now Find More Posts by CaliDave