SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Discussion
Newb Here...Couple of ??'s

Howdy everyone. Ron here. I live in central Maine where I hope to get a few great aerial pictures of the beautiful fields and lakes here. I am new to RC planes.

I have decided to buy the Super Cub. Is the SC still one of the best trainer planes for people just beginning to fly.??

Also, how many of you fly in the winter.??

And, is the transmitter that comes with the RTF Super Cub mode 2.??
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:16 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
You may ask away all the questions, but when you order, make sure that is what you want?

S-C is it for a person who never flew? I started out on a Champ, got the hang of it, and advanced to the Super cub. I feel it is for a beginner who has some flight time first. my 2 cents.

ACT must be off, and pulled out of the port of the Rx. would a beginner know that

fingers away from the prop, it will slice and dice you, not the Champ the cub will,

7 minutes flight time knowing you have up to 3 minutes to spare.

Yes flying in winter is awesome, check out Ridgewalker, he is up your way and my offer some advice
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:33 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
another plane to consider is the ares gamma 370. it's a very good plane for the beginner.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:45 AM
Soli Deo Gloria
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
182 Posts
For the last couple of years I've tried to make it a point to be able to say that I have flown every month of the year. And when winter is at its hardest here I still break out the HZ Super Cub. And for someone just learning, try to find someone near you that can help get you started. It really does make a difference.
GhostStone is offline Find More Posts by GhostStone
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
The SC is for myself. The only RC experience I have is with an off-road truck and an indoor helicopter.

One of the reasons I'm going for a SC is that my LHS carries it and has all the parts. Also, I am entering the hobby with a buddy who is quite knowledgable in RC.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:09 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post
One of the reasons I'm going for a SC is that my LHS carries it and has all the parts.
The Supercub is the best choice because you can get parts easily.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:26 PM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
True. Your LHS carries what is best. The S-C will take beating, and some white gorilla glue puts it all back together. It can carry cameras for excellent shots. a gopro, to a keycam.

for I think it is a wise investment. and take care of her, she will last a life time
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
How much money for an introductory camera.??
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:30 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,170 Posts
Quote:
How much money for an introductory camera.??
Have a look here - Aerial Photography forum

The tiny 'keychain' cameras are light, quite cheap, and great for video.

For a stills camera, weight has to be a big consideration.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:39 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,064 Posts
Here is the thread on the key chain camera. (If you are going to buy one use the recommened site from the thread as there are some very bad copy cats ones) Very light and HD qualities for about 1/5 the price of full fleged 1080P cameras.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8+16+key+chain

Here is a flight I took using the 808 #16D (wide angle lens).
Albatross over ball park (3 min 30 sec)
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:25 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,768 Posts
Quote:

And, is the transmitter that comes with the RTF Super Cub mode 2.??
yes. http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...rodID=SPMR4400
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:51 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
710 Posts
While on holiday in Australia I got a Supercub but found it was mode 1.I can't fly like that so spent my hols with it upside down(as you'd expect in Oz!) A great model shop at my next port of call in NZ converted for $10 so happy now. Best to check first though hey!
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great links. This is all helpful to me. I hope to purchase the SC from a LHS in the next day or 2. I will post here my experience. If all goes well and the weather cooperates I may fly this week.

Oh boy, this is going to be fun. I love taking pictures of most anything. It is my goal to fly with a camera often. Some of the pictures I've seen are fantastic.

My buddy is considering getting a SC as well. It would be fun to grow into the hobby together. He's building a balsa glider in these winter months. He's a good model builder.

That was an awesome video. Really great. Congrats.!! I assume it was with a SC.??

Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
I purchased the Super Cub DSM today. I'll get it together sometime tomorrow.

I bought bigger wheels for it to help with grass take off's and landings. I went with the 2.5" wheels. I also bought a cowling and another prop which gives me 3 props to begin with.

First modification is the bigger wheels are too wide so I need to extend the wheel "axle" to accomodate. I'm doing this by cutting down small diameter "brass" tubing which will be glued onto the original "wheel axle." Then the new wheels fit nicely over the tubing. The wheels will be held on by a small "coupler" with a set screw. I'll try to take pictures and put them up here.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
I took the Cub out for it's maiden flight today. It was a classic crash...right up high and into a gnarly pine tree.!! It took 7 sections of a snow rake to get it out of the tree. It was up about 30 feet. Why did this happen.?? I've got the answer...

The Hobby Zone Super Cub RTF comes with a Spektrum 4Xe transmitter. It has a switch in which you can choose Mode2 or Mode4. I had decided a couple weeks ago I wanted a Mode2 transmitter... Throttle and Rudder on the left stick and Aeileron and Elevator on the right stick. I made certain that switch was in Mode2. Guess what... Rudder was on the right stick. Being a newb, when I did my field test I quickly saw that yup, rudder is working, elevator is working, throttle, all things good. What I didn't do was make sure the rudder was on the left stick where I wanted. I saw that it was working and called it good.

Someone please tell me why in Mode2 the rudder was on the right stick.??

The plane took of from rough ground after rolling out about 8 feet. Love the the
2.5" wheels I put on it. But, once in the air it just wanted to turn left. I was hitting the left stick hard to the right but the plane wasn.t reacting. I was about 3/4 throttle and hit the tree hard. Real hard. Broke the cowling and cracked the motor mount.

All fixed up now. No wind in the morning. I'm going to a much bigger field and I can feel a successful flight coming on strong. Today the sky was yellow and the sun was blue.!! And that pine tree was some hungry.!! Ate me alive.!!!!