SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Discussion
Are Simulators Worth The Money?

Specifically the Phoenix 4 with the DX5e. I was going to buy this anduse the dx5e with a 120sr, and the simulator of course. This kit is around $170 that more then the bloody 120sr helicopter. The computer I plan on running the software on is a Lenovo v570 core i5 windows 7. Is simulators worth the money?
08charger3.5 is offline Find More Posts by 08charger3.5
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:36 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,177 Posts
Try checking if you can find one second hand, i got mine from a guy that was retiring from the hobby.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:12 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,056 Posts
Yes
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:35 AM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08charger3.5 View Post
Specifically the Phoenix 4 with the DX5e. I was going to buy this anduse the dx5e with a 120sr, and the simulator of course. This kit is around $170 that more then the bloody 120sr helicopter. The computer I plan on running the software on is a Lenovo v570 core i5 windows 7. Is simulators worth the money?
just get the 120SR you won't regret it.
lightfighter363 is offline Find More Posts by lightfighter363
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:51 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Simulators can be invaluable for some, practical experience works better for others. Ideally, you should have both. I found the general lack of depth perception to be the biggest problem I have with a sim, along with the absence of a "fear factor".
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Personally I think that simulators are more than worth the money. I have saved countless times the cost of Phoenix in crashes that I did not have to pay for!

As for the DX5e, I have no experience with that. I had a Futaba Tx when I bought Phoenix so I got the software/dongle only version for $125. I would say that a good computer tx would be far better. Maybe Phoenix without the Tx and a good, even used DX6i? Would cost a little more but again, worth the investment if you are going to stick with RC.

When it comes to helis, the simulator and a good micro heli or two (or three or... ) are indispensable.

Just my opinion...

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:31 AM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
283 Posts
I used this FREE heli sim to learn and practice, you just need a USB cord to connect your transmitter to your PC. I hooked up my Futaba T7C and the sim works great. I found a USB cord on Ebay for about $15.

It's not as fancy as the high dollar sims, but it's saved me hundreds of $$$ in crashes while I was learning to fly my CP birds (T-rex 450s and my Hirobo Shuttle).

Here's the link:

http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSim/

Good luck!

Mark
Scirocco14 is offline Find More Posts by Scirocco14
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:59 AM
chopper chopper chopper!!!
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
i just bought the Phoenix sim and i use my dx6i on it it helps out alot i cant go outside always and fly so i turn it on and work on my skills u should buy it evey heli pilot should have one
Lozki is online now Find More Posts by Lozki
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:59 AM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
612 Posts
Shop ebay for a software/dongle cable version of Phoenix. You can do the upgrades to ver 4.0 for free from previous versions. I started with ver 2.5 and am now running 4.0.m. A sim is worth its weight in crash savings. I participated with CaptJac and his Sim school to get started. That is time well spent as he has the knowledge to get the sim set up properly and the patience to help yuo through it.

I would not spend to much time with the sim and the 120sr. Fly the real one and use the sim for learning CP machines. The 120sr is easy and rugged enough to fly that you don't really need the sim. On days it is to nasty to fly outside then sim inside with a CP machine. For that matter, I fly my 120sr inside. Great for practicing orientation. I have a mQX quad I can also fly indores for the same reasons.

When I started I could not get the heli off the ground witrhout crashing. Now I am hovering in all skids down orientations and flying sport/scale circuits. I have no intention on 3D flying. That is for the younger crowd. I will be flying my helis in sport mode for sure. That said I can see and understand the huge potenial for the sim to learn the maneuvers for 3D flying. The skill set of those that do this 3D kind of flying is mind boggling.

Which ever brand you buy, you will not go wrong!!!!

RWW

ps. Read these threads. You will learn a lot!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234396
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651066
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618444
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Shop ebay for a software/dongle cable version of Phoenix. You can do the upgrades to ver 4.0 for free from previous versions. I started with ver 2.5 and am now running 4.0.m. A sim is worth its weight in crash savings. I participated with CaptJac and his Sim school to get started. That is time well spent as he has the knowledge to get the sim set up properly and the patience to help yuo through it.

I would not spend to much time with the sim and the 120sr. Fly the real one and use the sim for learning CP machines. The 120sr is easy and rugged enough to fly that you don't really need the sim. On days it is to nasty to fly outside then sim inside with a CP machine. For that matter, I fly my 120sr inside. Great for practicing orientation. I have a mQX quad I can also fly indores for the same reasons.

When I started I could not get the heli off the ground witrhout crashing. Now I am hovering in all skids down orientations and flying sport/scale circuits. I have no intention on 3D flying. That is for the younger crowd. I will be flying my helis in sport mode for sure. That said I can see and understand the huge potenial for the sim to learn the maneuvers for 3D flying. The skill set of those that do this 3D kind of flying is mind boggling.

Which ever brand you buy, you will not go wrong!!!!

RWW

ps. Read these threads. You will learn a lot!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234396
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651066
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618444
Cool, that sounds like a good idea. I plan on just stoping at 4ch fp or cp helicopters but thats hard to say. I still dont have a transmitter though. If the phoenix 4 combo with dx5e is aimed at anybody it's probaly me.
08charger3.5 is offline Find More Posts by 08charger3.5
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:06 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I have the Pheonix 4 and DX6i. In my opinion, they are good and worth investing in HOWEVER, they are NOT 100% accurate to flying a real model even if you select 100% experience level. They're great for getting stick time when the weather is just being impossible like it is right now.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
I have Phoenix 4 and a modified DX4e and it work fine, but it's not used that much. I'm like others who posted that seeing it on a screen is not like reality. I have made leaps and bounds of improvement just using a used V1 Mcpx as a training tool

You can crash, bash and abuse the heck out of these and they say "give me more". When I do break something the LHS has parts and they are low cost. I'm doing flips and brief inverted with my brushed stock setup.

If you live somewhere that you can fly often, just in your driveway after work (no rain) I would suggest an mcpx over a Sim now.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Blade Crasher is online now Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Closed Thread