HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How should we act when flying FPV at a location where our right to do so is unclear?
1. Discreetly, with permission or deferential to authority figures who stop you, even when rules seem to permit flying. 86 71.67%
2. Fly anywhere, show off to spectators, when challenged fight back about how the law does not expressly prohibit FPV. 34 28.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
what do you mean?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
seems like Mr Wright had a bad experience with RC in previous years, and/or he was afraid this FPV video would attract other less experienced fliers..

Unfortunately, short of some legislation permitting FPV, his word is final.

In his defense, I bet the sounds of a wing echoes for a long way off the canyon walls.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:16 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i wonder if the toy class provision helps us.

that means that we can fly a park flier still in the park..... I wonder if you ask and do it the right way if you could still get permission to try and record.

They added that provision in for a reason. They did not have to
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,501 Posts
Thought this is worth re-posting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappy
It should be worth pointing out that the park rangers thought that FPV is already banned in the grand canyon and that this is the only reason that no laws had been made prior to our visit. this logic often gets lost in the online reports about this incident. once again, no harm done... I'm $325 shorter and the grand canyon has received a big load of negative press and spent a couple hundred manhours on the case. it isn't over yet though, we still didn't get our SD card.
That's Trappy's last post before the mods banned him again. A pity they have such a grudge against him and won't even let him come in here to defend himself in a thread criticizing his actions.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les 78 View Post
Three pounds of foam hitting someone in the face probably won't cause much harm (if the motor is off). But a styrofoam plane that hits a car, causes the driver to swerve and results in a traffic accident is certainly dangerous.
[Sarcasm]
Yeah! The plane could suddenly fly off in a random direction, with no control
response whatsoever, fly for many miles to the nearest busy road where it
would nearly crash straight into a speeding car along the highway and the
driver would scream and swerve into the oncoming lane which could have a
fully fueled gas truck traveling in it. And then there would be a huge
explosion which would kill everyone in the blast radius then set the park on
fire and burn the entire park down. [/Sarcasm]
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Last edited by Blueshy; Apr 27, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
You do realize he was joking right? Just saying it from the perspective of the Rangers?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, WA, Bremerton
Joined May 2009
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Thought this is worth re-posting:

That's Trappy's last post before the mods banned him again. A pity they have such a grudge against him and won't even let him come in here to defend himself in a thread criticizing his actions.
That's why I don't spend much time here, as there are some here that believe models are for looking at in a static display and should never be flown without someone holding your hand with an emergency box handy, fire extinguisher, fire dept, and no humans for 5 miles....all LOS while flying fpv - what's the point.

Oh wait, the fire extinguisher one I am OK with
ScottTurchin is offline Find More Posts by ScottTurchin
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
FPVing for fun...
Joined Jul 2003
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Trappy why didnt you go into the ranger station and ask for permission. Show them the videos you have made and see what they say?
I don't understand... why should he ask permission to do something that is not illegal?
rcall is online now Find More Posts by rcall
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
legal and park rules are two different things, in state parks in Ohio they ban all open containers... prohibition has been out for a while but it is still fine-able through the park...

what is the airspace regs there? in the canyon? what class? that would and could affect flying from outside of the property into as well..
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
check it out, especially the part twith the pink map...

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueJJ99/canyon.html

i could look up the sfar but this sums it up, also not to mention the already available ban on RC craft.... even cars...

so if you want to play by rc rules your banned, if you want to play by gen av rules then your at 10500-11500ft asl and along a specific flight path....
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:02 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcall View Post
I don't understand... why should he ask permission to do something that is not illegal?
Giving someone a heads up can go a long way with getting what you want.

But it doesn't matter he got us all banned and I hope all other national parks don't do the same.

I can say that I wasnt the one who got us banned.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:59 PM View Post
slowjett
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). Show it to me anyway.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
AKA justabigham
Auburn, WA USA
Joined Sep 2002
305 Posts
If FPV is outlawed then only outlaws will have FPV.....

Count me in!!!!
ka7cse is offline Find More Posts by ka7cse
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post
check it out, especially the part twith the pink map...

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueJJ99/canyon.html
Actually what catches my eye on that page is..
"Flight Free Zones mean just that, no aircraft—GA or commercial tour operator—allowed below 14,500 feet within the zones, period. These zones include the most heavily toured areas of the canyon, including the Grand Canyon Village and South Rim drive, as well as the North Rim's lodge and viewpoints. Also included are the popular hiking trails and campgrounds within the canyon. The idea behind these zones is to preserve the tranquility of the park by eliminating aircraft noise, though I think it would be impossible to hear our little 172 over the traffic noise at the crowded rim-side viewpoints."

Anyone heard a Zephyr? Specific published regs or not, seems pretty easy to violate the intent.

Anyway.. There seem to be a lot of people who claim to be "in the know" so perhaps
one of them can answer this, since Trappy's latest incarnation is banned again. Was there
any contact between Trappy (or his team) and any rangers between the time of
the first day's flight and the 2nd day's flight? Getting arrested on first contact is pretty rare.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Slowjet that's a pretty funny quote commin' from a guy from Mass....... just sayin'
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13