Anyone got picks of one?
She is a 80s out rigger
Cope is offline Find More Posts by Cope
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
USA, CA, Selma
Joined Sep 2004
394 Posts
Don had several versions of the "Gator". The early ones had wedge shaped sponson attachments, I think they were called downriggers, and rear sponsons. A later version had no rear sponsons and something similar to a running strake on either side of the center hull an an adjustable (by bending) ride plate. I'll post a picture of the no rear sponson version tomorrow. By the way I have an unbuilt kit for a twin (X or F class) rear sponsoned Gator if anyone is interested.

John
Oian is offline Find More Posts by Oian
Last edited by Oian; Jan 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Sep 2009
73 Posts
Do you have an opinion of the early rear sponson stile design?
I hear it liked to slide around corners?
Do you know if the design used a turn fin?

I think i have one of the very early models
, ill post some picks when it shows up.
If any one has a shot of the transom hardware that would be helpfull as mine has no hardware.

My thoughts were to just gut the boat and rebuild her with all new hardware and a large eletric powerplant.

Im not lookin to break any records just to get a nice old boat back ont the lake and running well.

Thanks for the time.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2009
73 Posts
Here she is.

Boy she looks fast. The wood work is second to none and the finish looks like it once was as smooth as glass.

The rear sponsons are angle adjustable, the drive looks to have been off set almost half an inch.

It dose have holes for a turn fin, just what size and shape?

In one of the picks you can see the hand made brass soldered fuel tank......

My questions are where about should the C.G. sit?

Any ideas on what would be a decentset E power set up for her? Can size and KV? Battery Mah? ESC amps?

It looks like it was set up to run 3/16 drive so i guess ill stick with that?

Do ya think modern hardware will use the same bolt patterns? If not im kinda screwed cuz theres no getting to the T nuts any more.........

Thanks for the time and advice.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:12 PM
Joined Aug 2014
2 Posts
Gator C hydro

HI
My name is Jerry been a long time since I have seen this boat I raced this boat for five years never lost it was the only hydro you could just set in the water and it would have no trouble getting on the plane.
The B and C Hydro look the same except for the length
I love that boat I to sell mine when I got Cancer but it is gone so is she I give anything to find another gator and that is one of the best built boats ever and it is fast and I can show you how to set it up and the hardware you need.
The great thing is those adjustable rear sponson's the right need to be up a bit and you need to put trip chins on the front sponson's I will tell you how if you want the best handling boat and the placement of the skid fin is very important also.
Anyway I could spend five hours telling you in writing just let me know and we can talk or use some sort of media .
God does that boat bring back memories.
Namba 545
Jerry
EndGame is offline Find More Posts by EndGame
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
2 Posts
Electric NO way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope View Post
Do you have an opinion of the early rear sponson stile design?
I hear it liked to slide around corners?
Do you know if the design used a turn fin?

I think i have one of the very early models
, ill post some picks when it shows up.
If any one has a shot of the transom hardware that would be helpfull as mine has no hardware.

My thoughts were to just gut the boat and rebuild her with all new hardware and a large eletric powerplant.

Im not lookin to break any records just to get a nice old boat back ont the lake and running well.

Thanks for the time.
This is Jerry The boat is built for Nitro engines if you take anything away from the boat for making it lighter it would make the boat to weak it was designed to handle Massive twisting from high powered Nitro engines.
I can tell you anything you wish about this boat I knew Don very well and have his last batch or 40 and 60 plus hydro's one B and one C but not the one you have that boat needed to be built just right to race,
EndGame is offline Find More Posts by EndGame