SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:26 AM
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Nov 2005
40 Posts
Hi Chad,

for F3F the plane performs best at 0° flap setting.

If you are able to fly a smooth F3B speed run, -1° (~1mm flap up measured at the root) flap setting gives best performance. You could use more, but I would not recommend to do so.

Cheers,
Benjamin
benjaminr is offline Find More Posts by benjaminr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to apply snap flap after about 30% ele as well on my Hitec radio. I have noticed though, flying the slope, except for turning or climbing out, the great majority of my ele inputs seem to be downward. None the less want to program my Aurora to do the 30% thing if possible
Walter
glderguy is online now Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
All I can say is WOW!!! I finally got to fly the Precision in a no holds barred competition in F3B this past weekend.

After flying two early morning rounds of duration starting with the first round at about 8:30 am (sunrise was about 6:50) and maxing both of them, I got to fly the Precision in distance against 3 other pilots and earned one of the 1000’s in that round. Unfortunately, upon landing after crossing the base, I hit a flag pole and crashed near the car parking area earning a 300 point penalty and damaging the glider such that I couldn’t fly it the rest of the day. I fixed it that night and was able to fly it for the rest of the contest.

I have been flying the Precision for nearly a year now, and while I have liked it from the start, I have not had the opportunity to fly it head to head in a high stakes competition. This glider is ROCK SOLID in all aspects of F3B! I am confident in the settings that I have currently dialed in at the moment. There could be some additional fine tuning for my distance flight modes that will produce smoother flying, but the performance of this model is right there with the FS4’s, Fosa’s and Shooters that were flying this past weekend.

In speed with about a 8 to 10 mph headwind, I was flying with all ballast except for 2 main ballast blocks (full joiner and 4 brass each wing). Launches were spectacular. The Precision really maintains its speed well through the turns, and flies straight as an arrow. Wing flex is just perfect and minimal, and the efforts to make sure that there is no twist is evident in just how clean the turn can be flown at high G loads. I think I set the fast time of the event with a 13.54. Next was an FS4 at 13.65.

I really can’t say enough about how well the Precision flies in F3B. I know a lot has been said about its ability on the slope flying F3F, but let this go down as a whole hearted recommendation of the Pike Precision for F3B. If I were not already on the US F3K team and planning our trip to Denmark, I would be on this US F3B team, and I would be ordering 3 more to complete my quiver.

Thank you Benjamin, Johannes, and Phillip for your design work, and thank you Samba Models for producing this exceptional model.

Now I have to figure out how to refinish my repair to restore my Precision to nearly its original condition.

Sincerely,

Mike Smith
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,100 Posts
As the other pilot that was flying a Pike this last weekend at the US F3B team selection contest, I must concur with Mike's reveiw of the performance of this ship in full competition.

I initially did not use it because I didn't have enough setup time with it before the competition, but when I had troubles with my primary plane and went to the Precision, it performed amazingly.

The dead air duration flights in the morning were tough for everyone to make their times, but the Pike performed amazingly. I am not anywhere near the kind of accomplished pilot as Mike is, but with a little coaching, this plane allowed me to win at least one duration round, and a few distance rounds.

All in all, I just didn't see that this plane was out-classed in any way to the Freestyler 4's, shooters or Fosa's that were at the hands of the other top pilots in the states...

Kudos to the team at Samba for making such a good model.

Tim
ttraver is online now Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:52 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Not an f3b or f flyer but the two things that impress me most about this plane on the slope are its turning ability and rock solid stability. It turns better than any plane Ive flown. I guess this is a big plus in f3f as it seems to be an event that requires a good turning plane and pilot.
glderguy is online now Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,124 Posts
I love to hear it! Did DZ fly his precision too?
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:06 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cortina View Post
I love to hear it! Did DZ fly his precision too?
No, but he was kicking himself a few times for not bringing it...

Duration was REALLY hard, and the precision was kick ass in it...

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
The WALL
Joined Dec 2010
262 Posts
G'day
Good event coming up in west oz for me , Esperance F3F, by the look of things I'm up against all Cyril's

I with the only Precision!

Will post results
!GO THE PIKE!!
FLY N HIGH is offline Find More Posts by FLY N HIGH
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Jan 2009
96 Posts
Hi,

@fly n high:

so whats your conclusion? How did the precision perform compared to the other planes?

I am in for a new f3f ship. But somehow cant decide.

Cyril, precision, fosa, freestyler4

merry christmas to all of you!

Cyril (yep, thats my name....)
jibber is offline Find More Posts by jibber
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,974 Posts
Getting replacement parts should be a top priority, pike, fosa, are AWSOME planes and soaring USA will get you what you need. Ian
bluffman is online now Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Jan 2009
96 Posts
Hi,

thanks for the answer.
I dont think, that I am going to need many spare parts. At least I didnt need any with my last planes, so I dont expect to need a lot for the new one either.
Since I live in Switzerland, I will have to order any ship directly from the manufacturer. there is no such shop like SUSA in the whole of europe where I could have a look at the different planes...So if there is need for spares, that wont be a problem. Neither with baudis, nor with samba.

Anyway, I am tending towards fosa or precision. Will have to decide soon, so the ship will be ready for the new season.

And of course I will let you know which one i get.

If there are other opinions on these ships, please go ahead....

cheers,

cyril
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
The WALL
Joined Dec 2010
262 Posts
The event is at the end of January so all I've been doing is alot of practice with pike precision.
This is a three day event so we should get a good result. I flew the same event last year with the pike, maiden 20 minutes before comp and finishing third .
Cheers Chad
FLY N HIGH is offline Find More Posts by FLY N HIGH
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Jan 2009
96 Posts
Hi,

thanks for all the answers.

I mad up my mind, it will be the pike precision. Will order it, as soon as I decided on the questions below.

1.what is your experience with the RDS system? What about slop?

2.Would it be possible to fit MKS 6125gliders instead of minis?

I dont fly competitions, this will be my number one slope plane. drops from huge altitudes should be possible.

Would you go the RDS or standard linkage way for this kind of flying?

what about layups? F3B or F3F? Double carbon or single?

thanks for all your opinions.

Cyril
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,974 Posts
I have a double carbon Kawasaki Green, super strong wing skins, RDS in the wings
bluffman is online now Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,100 Posts
Cyril,

I have a Precision (and just got a second one).

If you are just slope flying, and weight is not an issue, then the F3F version is the way to go for those tougher slope landings. The double carbon would probably be very good for that as well.

Yes, you can fit the 6125's in the flap bays, and the 6125mini's in the aileron bays. If you install it right (or have them install them), RDS should be very tight, and you should have plenty of travel. Because the ailerons go all the way to the tip of the wing, it means you don't need as much throws in your ailerons to get the same roll authority.

You simply can't go wrong with this plane...

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
Hi,

thanks for all the answers.

I mad up my mind, it will be the pike precision. Will order it, as soon as I decided on the questions below.

1.what is your experience with the RDS system? What about slop?

2.Would it be possible to fit MKS 6125gliders instead of minis?

I dont fly competitions, this will be my number one slope plane. drops from huge altitudes should be possible.

Would you go the RDS or standard linkage way for this kind of flying?

what about layups? F3B or F3F? Double carbon or single?

thanks for all your opinions.

Cyril
RCG Plus Member