HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:28 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
I'm customizing my graphics before assembly and was looking for some input. I always use testers paint when it comes to plastic parts, but I was wondering what's the safest glossiest paint to use on the parkzone foam?

Also, has anyone found a proper green for the inside of the wheel well? I'm planning on making secondary doors from wood, and totally sealing them up. I dig that wow factor, with the bright green is only seen when there open.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Oct 09, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
check out the Tamiya paint rack
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:24 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
check out the Tamiya paint rack
Is it Foam safe?? I know this foam works fine with standard glues, but wasn't sure about paint? I defiantly don't want to damage the foam. Ive heard some guys use Krylon Fusion(plastic paint). Not sure?

Thanks
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
Ducatti - I assume you are referring to painting the wheel wells or foam plane parts with brush paint.

If this is correct....when I tried to touch up my PZ Trojan (I assume the P47 is made of the same foam) with the standard Testors model paint, it ate the foam. I now use Testors Model Master ACRYLIC paint for all my touch ups or brush painting. I think any ACRYLIC model paint will work (eg Tamiya etc).

Not sure about Testor's spray paint.

RvE
RvE is offline Find More Posts by RvE
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,190 Posts
You can use any acrylic or enamel paint. Brush or spray on. With aerosols make sure you keep the can 12-14" away from the foam when spraying because the accelerants can cause the foam to blister. Use light coats. Soaking the foam can also cause blistering.

Krylon Fusion for plastics seems to bond to the foam better than anything I've used in the rattle cans paints.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
I had a little incident with a tree and the tree won. It spit my plane out but kept 1 of my guns. Anybody have 1 of the 50 calibers off a damaged wing??
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:41 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
No I'm looking for a foam safe spray. I'm going to paint the complete tail red, with a tapper stripe up the turtle deck. Ill also be using the same red to re-stripe the wing, and detail the cowl.

I purchased the replacement airframe Kit, and I'm going full custom.

But thank you for the touch up info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
You can use any acrylic or enamel paint. Brush or spray on. With aerosols make sure you keep the can 12-14" away from the foam when spraying because the accelerants can cause the foam to blister. Use light coats. Soaking the foam can also cause blistering.

Krylon Fusion for plastics seems to bond to the foam better than anything I've used in the rattle cans paints.
Thanks man! I do allot of custom detail work, but this is my first foam custom. I always lay the coats on dry at first, Helps with tape bleeding, and paint setup.

I just want to make sure the paint I use doesnt eat foam, and it would be nice to find the proper paint code for the inside of the wheel wells.
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Thanks for the explanation guys - good info.

I've been running my P47 like this for quite a while with no problems, although I rarely ever push full throttle. So far, neither the ESC or the batteries are hot after a 5 min flight - so it doesn't appear that I'm cooking anything.

So what's the safe thing to do? Go back to a 2 blade prop, a bigger ESC or find a different pitch 4 blade that won't over pull the AMP draw?
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,190 Posts
Zinc Chromate commonly used for anti corrosion on aircraft is usually this shade of green or lighter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Moe...s_Gear&vxp=mtr
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:36 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
Zinc Chromate commonly used for anti corrosion on aircraft is usually this shade of green or lighter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Moe...s_Gear&vxp=mtr
Thanks Man! Would hate to paint it the wrong color..

Looks like Krylon fusion will be the foam paint, as long as There is int another recommendation?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
I had a little incident with a tree and the tree won. It spit my plane out but kept 1 of my guns. Anybody have 1 of the 50 calibers off a damaged wing??
No, but I could send you some extra Sea Fury rockets, for under the wing. My first Sea Fury had the wing break up mid flight in a dive, when the plastic bottom wing cover peeled back. The cover ripped out both aileron servos as it departed the wing.

PM me if interested.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Sep 2009
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
I got over 240 flights with eflite retracts. Not even one glitch! And i don't always land smooth. Lots of crosswinds lately
What surface are you taking off/landing on, grass or pavement?

Others w/retracts please chime in.
Buster1000 is offline Find More Posts by Buster1000
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster1000 View Post

I fly off a grass field, short grass but quite a rough surface to be honest. I have used Eflite retracts in my PZ Spitfire, PZ P-47 and my Hanger 9 Corsair 50 size and they have worked great. (Had an issue with a defect on flight 4 with my Hanger 9 retract but Eflite immediately replaced the same, no cost, no questions asked.)

I KNOW that the retracts take an awefull pounding at our field and others have issues with their retracts from various makers, but I have TONS of flights on my Eflite retracts and no issues. Actually well worth the investment to me as I hate having my plane down while waiting for new parts.

My 2 cents ...

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
402 Posts
Hi dudes!
Today buyed a wattmeter, and need your help a little .
I wanna know the amps and watts for the stock motor with stock ESC, static. I need it to compare and calibrate my wattmeter please.
Other question, the wattmeter can be used flying for more accurate tests or is a bad idea?
Other point I have some props from my others planes, a 10x5, 10x7,11x6, this props are safe with the stock ESC or need a better ESC. The stock works great, but I think a 10x7 could go more fast.

Regards!

PD: I know some people think "use the search button" but this post are huge!!!! Hehehe.
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:01 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster1000 View Post

Me too - E-Flite retracts - have crashed one and transferred all electronics to a new airframe and have been flying it for more than two years and have a LOT of landings on it. I fly from a dry lake bed mostly - lots of dust and dirt that acts like sandpaper if not cleaned but a few on paved surface - no grass out here in the desert!! LOL!!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille