SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:38 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Discussion
Floats on a RTF Foamie ?

Has anyone fitted floats to their electric foamie RTF plane ?

It's crossed my mind as I have a serious problem of too many trees in my grounds preventing fixed wing flying. But I have a large expanse of river at foot of my grounds where I could fly with floats.

Anyone who has experience of floats - I'd love to discuss the subject ....

Is a RTF 600gr ME109 suitable with a 600gr thrust brushless up front suitable ? How much extra power does a plane need for ROW against ROG ?
What is the ratio of float length to fuselage length ?
How far fwd of nose / prop should float nose be ?
Where is the float step in relation to planes CofG ?
How much 'incidence / +ve wing angle' should be built in with floats resting on water ?

Lots of questions ... lots of ideas ... I have plans already downloaded of net - but of course they are for different models and wingspans / AUW's .. so need scaling ..
I also want to construct in blue-foam to ensure a water-tight light form ...

Anyone out there with ideas / info ??
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:05 AM
Somewhere between Nashville and New Orleans
Joined Jul 2010
21 Posts
A PZ SuperCub has foamie floats as an option.

I've got one, and the floats. They work pretty well. You need a bigger prop to compensate for the drag. Which the the SC floats come with.
Filmjay is offline Find More Posts by Filmjay
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I put floats on my PZ Spit !!
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:16 AM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
Float length should be 75% of fuse length, float step should be on or a little behind the cg. Use about 2* pos wing incedence from the the top of floats. if set up correctly floats will stick out infront of prop the correct amount. some planes you may have to go to 80% of fuse length to get the float tips in front of the prop. These # are not writen in stone I have one plane with float that are 26" long, they are an inch short of 75% still work great. You just need to stay close. Have fun and good luck and I like foam floats the best.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc