HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2001, 05:32 AM
TAIPEI, TAIWAN
Joined Apr 2001
17 Posts
E conversion of GP Super Decathlon 40

Hi:
I just finished my E conversion of the Modeltech Extra 300, and So many posts in that topic give me a lot of ideas. Now, I looked at my collections of kits, I find a beautiful one: GP Super decathlon. Since I got this kit few years ago, I have all the Glow engine accessories for it even the in cowl muffler. Now, I am sure I want it to be Electric! Guys, give me some suggestions about the Electric power combination. I think the Brushless with gear box is my choice. Thanks.
JS Chen
JS Chen is offline Find More Posts by JS Chen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2001, 07:34 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,151 Posts

Just a quick tip on that decathlon. ENLARGE THE FIN/RUDDER. those planes are quite snap-happy, and need a lot more tail surface than they have. The old SIG Sitabria was the same way. The old "EZ" arf was also the same way. I've flown a fullscale Citabria, and a decathlon and they were very well behaved, but I've never flown a model of one that was really nice. Dunno what it is about the design, but all the citabrias and decathlons I've flown weren't very good models. They flew kinda like they were too short coupled without enough surface area on the tail, hard to describe, but I've never enjoyed flying any of the ones that were modeled.

Quote:
Originally posted by JS Chen:
Hi:
I just finished my E conversion of the Modeltech Extra 300, and So many posts in that topic give me a lot of ideas. Now, I looked at my collections of kits, I find a beautiful one: GP Super decathlon. Since I got this kit few years ago, I have all the Glow engine accessories for it even the in cowl muffler. Now, I am sure I want it to be Electric! Guys, give me some suggestions about the Electric power combination. I think the Brushless with gear box is my choice. Thanks.
JS Chen
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Jul 13, 2001, 02:03 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,809 Posts
I have to say that the GP Super Decathalon (built stock) that I flew on glow, K&B 61, was a pure delight. It would snap on request but never when not wanted,eg, slow downwind turn, hard elevator pull. It would slow down to a walk for landing. It was lost when someone turned on the same frequency I was flying. I have another kit of it sitting in the corner to build someday and a geared Astro 40 in the cupboard to power it.
Dave C.
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old Jul 13, 2001, 02:32 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,494 Posts
I flew both the 20 and 45 size EZ Decathlon, and yes they are tricky to take off. I had to throttle up gradually while it picks up speed, or else the tail would torque so much it would make a U turn. But with correct CG they are stable in the air.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 13, 2001, 03:52 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
I flew an EZ Citabria with an OS 91FS(non-Surpass) and the only problem was the struts breaking. Loved the airplane!

I think that it goes without saying that you need to lighten the airframe. GP kits are stout. Dave, it must be stout to handle a K&B .61! Built light, you could even have a Astro 25G and have good performance.I've always loved the airplane and have a Midwest Citabria that I'm going to put my 40G into. I wish Astro had more gear ratios, though.Anybody have some suggestions?
Frank Hurd is online now Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Jul 13, 2001, 06:49 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
I flew mine with the AF 40G. I did quite a weight reduction exercize during construction, everything looked like Swiss cheese, an no ply doublers anywhere. It performed well on 20 cells, but needed a very light thumb in the turns. Take-off was usually a three try event. If I ever had a brain lapse and did it again, I would introduce a good bit of wash-out and power it with the 25g/16-18 cells. (And do as suggested above: more fin area!!!) Tex.

BTW mine eventually succumbed to an incipient snap roll (1/2) on take-off. T.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Jul 13, 2001, 08:19 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,777 Posts
I had one I bought used...later found out the owner sold it because of a terrible tendancy to ground loop. I decided that the problem was the fuse was blocking the tail out, allowing torque to take it sideways before the tail feathers could get enough air. I ended up putting a small CB assc. tailwheel assm on it, which did two things. It raised the tail of the plane, allowing the tail to get more air over it and thus helping with the problem above, and it de-sensitised the wheel in relation to the rudder, which also helped. This and some toe-in cured it totally...I loved that plane!! Mine had an ST.45, but the next one will be
e-powered.

Hope this helps,
David
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2001, 09:55 PM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
227 Posts
Now I know why the one I had was so squirrely. I always thought it was me. I finally burned it in the hope the airplane gods would be kinder to my next project.
David Pentland is offline Find More Posts by David Pentland