SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2015, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,190 Posts
Congratulations on the successful maiden wmetcalf!! I am happy that it went so well for you.

I do not consider the TC to be a fast plane with minimal lift. I have calculated the wing loading on my TC to be just over 12 oz/sq. ft. I fly my TC pretty slow at level trim. I think it is pretty floaty. However, I am about 1.25 miles closer to sea level where the air is a bit thicker and I fly with 1300mAh LiPo's and a AUW just over 31 oz.

It should be a fun summer for you with the TC to fly. I am glad that the loss of sight in 1 eye has not grounded you.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2015, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by wmetcalf
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Nov 2009
507 Posts
Put another 10 minutes on her today. She's a tad twitchy compared to the Fun Cub I've been flying, and comparatively much quicker in every regime. Still flying on low rates. Can imagine moving up to medium rates, but I think that high rates may reveal that this little tiger is more capable than I am!

I had less fear of her today. Even managed a brief bit of inverted. Still asks for up trim, so I'll continue pushing the 1800 LIPO rearwards. I was not able to get a clean stall break today...just a mush. I still feel that my lightweight setup with 09 power has enough to pull any sport aerobatics I can handle, and more.

I was able to discover how well she slows down. Haven't induced a tip stall yet but am being watchful for it. Though she lands a bit hot up here, with no flaps for help, she is so precise on final that greasing her on is proving to be quite easy.

On thing I have already learned: The Balsa in this structure is really soft. I already cracked a nose rib just in handling, and had to do a repair. This is one I must pickup underneath the fuselage all the time! She's a great little aerobat though. I will never reach her limits. I should note that I only have a couple years RC flying under my belt at this point.
wmetcalf is offline Find More Posts by wmetcalf
Old Jun 05, 2015, 10:45 AM
Joined Nov 2009
507 Posts
Another brief test today. This time, a mild crosswind further demonstrated the ability of the TC to penetrate wind and remain on a rock-steady approach, even with power off. Still flying on low rates.

Roll axis is very quick, requiring attention there. I moved the 1800 LIPO back to the point indicated in the photo. Going to work with it there for a while. I am able to slow her way down and have yet to experience a tip stall. I am getting about 5 safe minutes out of these batteries with mixed flying.

The 2215-12 905 200W motor is working out perfectly for me, and on a 20A ESC. Not enough power for unlimited vertical. She only makes maybe 25-50 ft. before pooping out, but I like it because it flies like a real short-wing TC might. Careful energy management is necessary, just like the real thing. And all this with the empty weight you see marked on the fuselage bottom. After flying a lot of foamies, the growl she puts out in the air is a treat.
Old Jun 05, 2015, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by scb28
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
443 Posts
wmetcalf,

Sounds like you're finding out what great flying plane the TC is. As you've already discovered landings are a breeze with this plane. It is also a very capable aerobatic bird. When get more comfortable try it you'll like it.

Scb28
scb28 is offline Find More Posts by scb28
Old Jun 05, 2015, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2009
507 Posts
Yes, except I erroneously cited the motor that is actually in my J3 450. The TC has a 2215-09. I may switch the motors as the extra speed of the 2215-12 would better suit the TC.
Old Jun 06, 2015, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by juanito
Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Following from ABQ

Go, metcalf.
juanito is offline Find More Posts by juanito
Old Jun 06, 2015, 11:40 PM
Joined Nov 2009
507 Posts
Thanks. One other minor mod I did yesterday was to add a foam tail wheel to cushion landing shocks and hopefully avoid ripping the assembly out of the tail.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by jobinseattle
You'll just crash it...
Joined Nov 2014
419 Posts
Having fun with the Taylorcraft 450

Fun with the E-flite Taylorcraft 450 (4 min 45 sec)
jobinseattle is offline Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Old Aug 17, 2015, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by Spkey
United States, AZ, Carefree
Joined Oct 2013
33 Posts
I finally got the TC 480 built and I have to wait another month or so until the Arizona weather cools down. Flying in 110+ degree with the sun frying not only your skin but the battery and esc is not ideal. Bummer.
Spkey is online now Find More Posts by Spkey