Apr 09, 2010, 08:47 AM
My overloaded airframe flew on an APC 4.75x4.75 on a 20g 2200kv motor with a 500mah 2s batt. Flew is a loose term. I could keep it in the air at WOT if I worked at it. My airframe however, is nearly 2x heavier than one built from 3mm depron. Its 5mm depron with hot glue, and a doubled up KFm airfoil. Mine now flies nicely on a larger prop and motor.

I'm curious to the performance increase by giving the wing a slight UC at the leading edge; looking forward to your maiden.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2010, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA
My overloaded airframe flew on an APC 4.75x4.75 on a 20g 2200kv motor with a 500mah 2s batt. Flew is a loose term. I could keep it in the air at WOT if I worked at it. My airframe however, is nearly 2x heavier than one built from 3mm depron. Its 5mm depron with hot glue, and a doubled up KFm airfoil. Mine now flies nicely on a larger prop and motor.

I'm curious to the performance increase by giving the wing a slight UC at the leading edge; looking forward to your maiden.
some one on the thread quite a bit back put some slats on the LE of his wing and said it worked well, i think when i get a new motor i will build another and use this one as a test bed for all kinds of stuff, and its nice to have a spare this plane flys so well i dont want to be without one now

got my f15 done im going to maiden in a min so fingers crossed and the weather is purfect no wind at all no breaze at all perfect maiden weather yay

edit perfect maiden flew mint only needed some down trim tiny bit tail heavy maybe rolls are drill like and very fast tis a fast plane once i dial it more should be good
Last edited by foxy29; Apr 09, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Apr 09, 2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29
what motor are you using on your craptor fraggin
hextronik 24gram bm with a 3s lipo.

Kv - 3000rpm/v
Load [no prop]: 1.2a / 7.4v @ 21500rpm (0g thrust)
Load [7x4 prop]: 21A / 7.4v @ 8800rpm (380g thrust)
Load [8x3.8 prop]: 22A / 7.4v @ 8200rpm (430g thrust)
Apr 09, 2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggin
hextronik 24gram bm with a 3s lipo.

Kv - 3000rpm/v
Load [no prop]: 1.2a / 7.4v @ 21500rpm (0g thrust)
Load [7x4 prop]: 21A / 7.4v @ 8800rpm (380g thrust)
Load [8x3.8 prop]: 22A / 7.4v @ 8200rpm (430g thrust)
it should rip with that prop
4,75x4,75 2s/13,6A/102W 3s/24A/262W
if this is out to go by 262watts will be quick sharp on a light 100-140g plane my 3800kv 10g 7 amp motor is pushing 40mph on 2s so yours should scream have you got a watt meter??
Apr 09, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have a multimeter, but not an inline tool like for R/C. I fitted everything on today, need to balance and velcro in battery and adjust thrust angle on the motor. After that, just some reinforcing and a search for tall grass.

I tested the motor with that prop and it really screams. Sounds like an electric leaf blower.

Couple of questions though.

With all the gear and supposedly balanced, what kind of toss will I have to give it to test cg and glide with no power?

What kind of thrust angle do you guys reccomend?
Apr 09, 2010, 07:52 PM
Quote:
I have a multimeter, but not an inline tool like for R/C. I fitted everything on today, need to balance and velcro in battery and adjust thrust angle on the motor. After that, just some reinforcing and a search for tall grass.

I tested the motor with that prop and it really screams. Sounds like an electric leaf blower.

Couple of questions though.

With all the gear and supposedly balanced, what kind of toss will I have to give it to test cg and glide with no power?

What kind of thrust angle do you guys reccomend?
i dont use any but or 2 degree right thrust wont hurt if its got a lot of torque roll

you can use a multimeter witha a 10 min mod and a few plugs an a reisister
look here its what i use it says 10a on meter but goes to 20 and will do more if you solder to the shunt inside
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=949923&page=2
a post by sir Raleigh has the best pic took me 10 mins to do and i riped a reisister out of some dead leccy crap i always keep
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=2376163

my cg is just after the first tab after the wing /fuse join at about 4 and half cm after the wing break if its about there it will be golden dont need much of a lob to test just try it on maiden with power on, mine flew on first go even with cg to far back just trimmed it out you will enjoy this plane its my fave at the min
Last edited by foxy29; Apr 09, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Apr 10, 2010, 08:01 PM
It flew after getting the elevon mix right. Lots of control. I really need to build another one now and give it the detail it deserves. I like how you can just raise the nose to slow it down.
Apr 10, 2010, 08:02 PM
quick question to those who use this gorilla glue stuff, what size bottles do you buy most, and how many planes does it build on average, seen 2oz-57ml bottles for like £3.50 and 115m bottles for 5 quid and 8 for 275ml bottles from here.
http://www.gluegorilla.co.uk/
and p+p is 1.50 seen cheaper but P+P was way more but this seems like very good glue for depron,and i plan on using depron a lot i love building now im hooked i will never buy another plane again, unless it somthing special lol
Apr 10, 2010, 09:34 PM
Check your six
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
foxy,

A friend of mine is actually working on producing a series of planes similar to the Steve Shumate builds, but reduced down to about 66%. They use 6mm depron and he will use the same power system I have for my mini pushers.

Don't know if he'll post plans, but I may be selling kits for him sometime in the future.

Pat
Pat let me know if it happens. Marty
Apr 11, 2010, 12:07 AM
Hi guys! I need your opinion.. I cant find a AX 1806N motor locally. What can you say about this motor as an alternative? http://www.gsmodels.com/en/products_view.php?id=256
If im going to use this one, does it mean I have to use a bigger prop (8x4)??
Apr 11, 2010, 02:58 AM
Quote:
It flew after getting the elevon mix right. Lots of control. I really need to build another one now and give it the detail it deserves. I like how you can just raise the nose to slow it down.
glad you got it flying, i love just slowing right down to almost stall and give it full wack and watch it accelerate in an instant,also high alpha is fun with this plane i like to come down as low as i can then shoot off full wack just before i touch the ground impresses the kids they love it ,my nephew thinks he can run faster and likes to try racing it when i slow down and then shoot off good fun
Apr 11, 2010, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by belabs
Hi guys! I need your opinion.. I cant find a AX 1806N motor locally. What can you say about this motor as an alternative? http://www.gsmodels.com/en/products_view.php?id=256
If im going to use this one, does it mean I have to use a bigger prop (8x4)??
dont know those motors but cant you find any hexotronic or there clones, no location in your profile so cant recomend a store if your in the usa try crx's nicco hobbies he has them
http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/

or hobbyking not ordered from them but they do world wide
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5432

but any 10g-to 24g fairly high kv motor will work say 2100kv to 3800kv range will work, the 24g 2100kv and 2500kv ones do very well 50mph kinda speeds on 3s
im using a turnigy 10g t1811 3800kv on a 4x2.5 gws or a 4x3 and a 500mah 2s and a 800 2s
or try a blue wonder type in 2500kv or 3000kv or even a emax 2805 on 2s but seen peeps run these emaxes on 3s with no probs but some have tho,turnigy do a range that will work as well a D2211 at 2300kv 19gram would work on a 5x3 or 5x4

off topic here is a link to pics off my shumate f15 enjoy
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2526
Apr 11, 2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29
quick question to those who use this gorilla glue stuff, what size bottles do you buy most, and how many planes does it build on average, seen 2oz-57ml bottles for like £3.50 and 115m bottles for 5 quid and 8 for 275ml bottles from here.
http://www.gluegorilla.co.uk/
and p+p is 1.50 seen cheaper but P+P was way more but this seems like very good glue for depron,and i plan on using depron a lot i love building now im hooked i will never buy another plane again, unless it somthing special lol
I find Gorilla Glue is only useful for laminating foams, say when making a KFm wing, or a flying wing, or a monobloc fuselage. Gorilla Glue needs to be clamped, because it expands. Its very strong, and if used conservatively, very light. For butt joints, or main air frame assembly its not terribly good. I have started using Fabritac for depron joints, and it works really well. It is supposed to be a great replacement for UHU Por or Creativ. If you can get Por or Creativ, they are the glue to get apparently for depron. Setup time is 1 hour, full cure in 24. Gorilla Glue is set and cured in 2 to 4 hours.

Also, if you can get Elmers Ultimate Glue, its the same as Gorilla Glue, and half the price. I have them both, and its the same thing. Goes on the same, sets up the same, and is as strong.

My 8oz bottle of GG has laminated the wings on 7 planes, and the monobloc on 2. There is about 2oz left. I have wasted a lot learning to use it.
Apr 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA
I find Gorilla Glue is only useful for laminating foams, say when making a KFm wing, or a flying wing, or a monobloc fuselage. Gorilla Glue needs to be clamped, because it expands. Its very strong, and if used conservatively, very light. For butt joints, or main air frame assembly its not terribly good. I have started using Fabritac for depron joints, and it works really well. It is supposed to be a great replacement for UHU Por or Creativ. If you can get Por or Creativ, they are the glue to get apparently for depron. Setup time is 1 hour, full cure in 24. Gorilla Glue is set and cured in 2 to 4 hours.

Also, if you can get Elmers Ultimate Glue, its the same as Gorilla Glue, and half the price. I have them both, and its the same thing. Goes on the same, sets up the same, and is as strong.

My 8oz bottle of GG has laminated the wings on 7 planes, and the monobloc on 2. There is about 2oz left. I have wasted a lot learning to use it.

thanks for that info ace,i never heard of fabritac looks like i will be looking in the sewing shops, uhu por is £5.50 in the model shop a complete rip or it would be what i use, the depron place i use is 2.50 BIG difference just forgot to stick it on my order. i have been using bostick solvent free comes in 2 flavors bog standard and extra strong its good for bits that fit first time and is like a contact glue if left for 10 mins but takes hours to dry if you just put parts together with no drying time before puttin parts together so guess it needs air to work its like a white glue and bond is fairly strong but gives before the foam does unless a large area is glued and is only £1.67 AND IS SOLD ALL OVER big plus asda/wilco's most diy shops,but sort of helps to absorb shock in my several f22 nose in's lol. looks like all my glue is coming from the land of internet as not one shop and ive looked in almost every shop that does diy/glue type stuff nothing only wood glue and nothing PU like probond, i hate this town more and more each day its pathetic for stuff like this lol
Apr 11, 2010, 02:49 PM
Check your six

An agent

Foxy, you need an agent in the USA to help you purchase what you need/want! Stop farting around with those rip offs where you live. PayPal will convert currency for you when you send money to someone else. I have no idea about shipping prices, but they can't be that bad. Just a thought. Marty

Quick Reply