HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2014, 02:23 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
Discussion
Talk me in to a new plane

Firstly, let me re-introduce myself. I've been a member here for a while, but have become a lot less active in the past few years. I was in college and designing, building, and flying airplanes for class, as an extra-curricular activity, for research, and as a job in the summers. I graduated with an Aerospace Engineering degree slightly burned out of airplanes, and I was definitely not interested in spending what little free time I had on MORE planes. I've been out for a year exactly, have a job, moved to Greenville, SC. My wife and I decided to go to Joe Nall last weekend because of the proximity. Well, we left with two little planes and three little quadcopters and it renewed my love for the hobby. It also reminded me how much I love 3D and how much I need to get back into it. I have an 88" EF Edge at my parent's house (4 hours away) but have no way to haul it around here. Now, I'm looking for a smaller, electric 3D plane option to keep my thumbs busy. Cave diving has become my main hobby, so I'm trying to keep it small and cheap(ish).....but I need suggestions.

So....as the title says, I'm considering a new plane. I want to be talked into one. I've been looking at the EF 48" stuff and the 3DHS stuff up to 51".....and the prices aren't that much higher than the really cheap ones (like SDSHobby, etc). I'm okay with ordering less than name-brand planes, but I don't want to compromise on performance, I have been burned before and have no interest in wasting money on a bad flying plane. I want a little 3D monster to huck around. Any thoughts?

(I posted this in another forum, but RCG is really where electric 3D talk flourishes).
victorzamora is offline Find More Posts by victorzamora
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2014, 02:36 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
Now, I'm looking for a smaller, electric 3D plane option to keep my thumbs busy.
Any of the 48" Extreme Flight EXPs are practical and affordable, and probably exactly what you're looking for.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 23, 2014, 04:44 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,846 Posts
If you are really trying to keep it inexpensive, and since you already have 3D experience, I highly recommend the 42" 3DHS Slick! A ton of fun in a very small package. If you can increase your size a tiny bit more, I love my 57" extra from 3DHS. You spend a bit more on some of the components, but can actually save a little on others (HS-225mg's are cheaper than HS-65 mg's). Since you have already flown "quality" planes, I would recommend that you stick with them.

Good luck, and have fun!

BTW, if you can wait until August, it might be worth your while to head to this event. It is being co-sponsored by 3DHS and EF. I went last year (3DHS only) and it was an absolute blast. Planes of all sizes are welcome, so you could actually get to see the various choices you are considering, and maybe even get a pull on one to see what you think for yourself.
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old May 23, 2014, 05:01 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
989 Posts
Ditto on the baby slick 42, it takes 3s 2200- 1800's, so you can use your battery investment on many other things, incl. DJI Phantom and so on. The EF planes are awesome - but centered around 4s 2200-2700's.

I have the 42-in slick and what I also like is the micro servos like savox 255's and hitec 5065's are relatively strong on it, I am always wanting more torque out of the servos on the 48-inchers.

I also had a 3dhs yak 46 - both this and the slick 42 fly big for their size, 3d, and take wind well.

Just to be open minded, the EF Laser 48 is on the top of my wish list too.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old May 24, 2014, 10:49 PM
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
"Battery investment" isn't a huge concern for me. I've got some 3S 2200s already, but don't mind getting new batteries for the plane....HobbyKing prices make it a lot less painful. If the consensus is that with the baby 42" planes that it requires some 3D experience to fly well.....does that mean less than great flying? I don't want to sacrifice flying characteristics, and I can fit much bigger planes in our vehicle.

Does the 48" fly that much better than the 42" planes?
Old May 24, 2014, 10:49 PM
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
I apologize for not responding for a while, I've been trying to do a lot of reading.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:17 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,846 Posts
Quote:
"Battery investment" isn't a huge concern for me. I've got some 3S 2200s already, but don't mind getting new batteries for the plane....HobbyKing prices make it a lot less painful. If the consensus is that with the baby 42" planes that it requires some 3D experience to fly well.....does that mean less than great flying? I don't want to sacrifice flying characteristics, and I can fit much bigger planes in our vehicle.

Does the 48" fly that much better than the 42" planes?
Its no that the 42 requires more 3D experience, its more that its a bit more high performance than say a 48" edge. So, if you are fully comfortable with good landings and basic aerobatics already, then you would be fine with the slick (great precision for being such a small plane).

In general, the larger the plane, the better it flies. However, the 42 flies like a 48" sized plane. The Slicks have a large fuse, so they always fly a little larger.

I hope that helps.
Old May 27, 2014, 01:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
CrashesALot: If it's just the landings and basic aerobatics....I've got that. I've had that for years. I'm just sick of knocking the rust off on my big plane and being afraid of doing rollers on the deck with it.

I'm looking for a plane to throw around. I want harriers (inverted and upright) as smooth as possible. I want to perfect KE spins, Torque Rolls (still have a hard time hovering belly-in, no idea why), harriers, rolling harriers, etc. It's also currently a hassle to get my big plane to a field where I can fly, so I get rusty too often......but 60" and below would fit in my wife's car just fine. With my big plane, the rudder has to come between the driver and passenger's seat after removing the HStabs, which is just a bunch of added inconvenience.

ETA: Do the 60"-class planes fly that much better than the 48s that I really need to look into those? That would open the door to several more planes on my list.....from 3DHS and from EF.
Old May 27, 2014, 04:49 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2013
365 Posts
If you like the big Edge you will love the 60" EF Edge as well. I surely do! The 60" planes are more satisfying to me than the 48"ers. They have their place and are fun but the 60"ers just present better and are easier for me to see.
RKevinEstes is offline Find More Posts by RKevinEstes
Old May 27, 2014, 04:56 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,422 Posts
+1 on the 60" Edge. Especially for harrier work.
Sweet all-around plane too though
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2014, 08:52 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,846 Posts
Yes, the 60" sized planes (even the 51" slick) do fly much better than the 48" size. However, especially with something like the 42 slick is inexpensive enough that if your thing is learning to fly closer to the ground, you don't feel bad if you crack it up.

My personal favorite is the 57" extra.
Old May 28, 2014, 06:59 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,482 Posts
[QUOTE=victorzamora;28486294
ETA: Do the 60"-class planes fly that much better than the 48s that I really need to look into those? That would open the door to several more planes on my list.....from 3DHS and from EF.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do. There is a night and day difference between the two sizes.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old May 28, 2014, 07:07 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,082 Posts
Also agree with the 60 Edge from Extreme Flight. I flew 47 and 48 planes for two years before buying the 60 Edge and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I learned more with that plane, and gained more confidence, than with any plane I flew before it.

The hobby is so much more fun when you're not worrying about the bad habits of the plane, and can focus on your own bad habits.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2014, 09:13 AM
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
So, I'm trying to price a few planes out and I'm assuming that the 3DHS 57" Extra and the 60" EF Edge should use approximately the same stuff so the pricing should be easy there. However, I've got a few questions. Are the Hitec 7245s worth it over the 225s or 5245s? I love my coreless on my 88" Edge. Also, what batteries should I go with? I'm thinking 6S 3300mAh packs. It's the smallest 6S pack for the EF Edge and the biggest 6S pack for the 3DHS planes.....or is 6S just too much?

Aeroplayin: What 47 and 48" planes did you fly? I've realized there's a BIG difference between quality 3D airframes and other airframes.

Edit: So, I've done the numbers and it seems like the 42" and 48" planes are about the same price with the recommended parts (within $50).....but the 60" plane is like 50% more. The 48" airframes also aren't that much more than the 42" airframes, but the 60" planes are nearly double. I don't mind spending the money on the better plane, I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $160 over the 48" planes.
Old May 28, 2014, 09:54 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,082 Posts
Quote:
So, I'm trying to price a few planes out and I'm assuming that the 3DHS 57" Extra and the 60" EF Edge should use approximately the same stuff so the pricing should be easy there. However, I've got a few questions. Are the Hitec 7245s worth it over the 225s or 5245s? I love my coreless on my 88" Edge. Also, what batteries should I go with? I'm thinking 6S 3300mAh packs. It's the smallest 6S pack for the EF Edge and the biggest 6S pack for the 3DHS planes.....or is 6S just too much?

Aeroplayin: What 47 and 48" planes did you fly? I've realized there's a BIG difference between quality 3D airframes and other airframes.

Edit: So, I've done the numbers and it seems like the 42" and 48" planes are about the same price with the recommended parts (within $50).....but the 60" plane is like 50% more. The 48" airframes also aren't that much more than the 42" airframes, but the 60" planes are nearly double. I don't mind spending the money on the better plane, I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $160 over the 48" planes.
I've flown the 3DHS 47 inch SHP, and 48 inch Velox, and the 48 EF Edge and Extra.. which I prefer. I've also flown all the 60 EXPs and either the combo power with the Torque MKII 500Kv on 6S 3300 with a 16x7 or the Motrolfly DM4315-480 with the 16x8 Xoar PJN with the same 6S 3300. It's a great power experience. If it's too much power at the beginning, just use a 15x7 or 15x8, but at least the option to go higher will be there. Both are motors you can rely on, and my son and I put over 800 flights on the Motrolfly before we went to bigger planes. It's a very cool-running motor, which is important for flying here in Florida.

Here's my son flying the 60 with the DM4315-480 with the 16x8 on 6S. You may not be able to watch it on a smartphone for issues relating to the music, I think, but it should work fine otherwise.

The 60 is worth the money if for no other reason than you will end up with one eventually, so you may as well bypass the cost of the 42 or the 48. It's that good.

Tom Kitt - Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP__First Flight In A While (5 min 2 sec)
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member