Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 02, 2013, 10:49 AM
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2013
360 Posts
Discussion
Next Plane Suggestion

Hello, new to the hobby but already thinking of next plane; that's what we do. I am sure there are as many suggestions as users but want to get pointed in the right direction. I am flying The Apprentice now. Amazing plane. Next plane I get I guess would be "sport" category.
Was thinking:
1. ARF Electric
2. non foamie
3. replacement parts available
4. skill level intermediate but could build on
5. able to tolerate some wind
6. 40-50 inch
7. not exotic so easy to get replacement parts
8. low wing position
9. not looking to do crazy 3-d stuff but more basic maneuvers
Thanks in advance
dochoot is offline Find More Posts by dochoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,402 Posts
Taking a slight exception to your requirements, your best bet for your second plane would be the ParkZone T-28 Trojan. Once you get good at flying the Trojan, there are a number of good ARFs that you can get from E-flite. Just go to the Horizon Hobby website and check them out.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,181 Posts
Super Sportster ARF is a good one
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:12 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,198 Posts
o would go low wing but stay foamie for easy repairs. acro wot 49 inch wings from flyzone looks nice.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:31 PM
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
319 Posts
Phoenix Sonic low wing trainer, great first low wing plane, cheap to buy, very easy to fly balsa plane that does not require high end components, .25 size. Tower Hobbies
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
Last edited by timwj1; Oct 03, 2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old Oct 04, 2013, 08:06 AM
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
111 Posts
Great Planes Escapade EP. Reasonably priced, parts available, and has great flying qualities

Edit: Get the optional cowl, It looks great!
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3
Last edited by rammon3; Oct 04, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 08:26 AM
Joined Sep 2013
360 Posts
Thanks for suggestions. I will look them up. I saw this one: Pulse XT 25e ARF by E-flite.
Its labeled intermediate. Maybe go with smaller engine (25) for easier landings?

(daughter loves the yellow!)
Last edited by dochoot; Oct 04, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 09:40 AM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
709 Posts
Hi,

The choice is planes might depend a little on the whether you have access to an instructor or someone with a little more experience to do the maiden flight.

I have flown someone else's Escapade and I did not like it very much. His plane was a little on the heavy side (full size servos), but even after trimming it for him it had a funny feel to it. We played with C.G., throws, thrust line and wing incidence but could never get the right feel for it. He does not fly it much.

If you want something that might be able to re-use the batteries you already have; your choices will be limited. If you are willing to go up to 4S, then there are a few options.

1) The Advance 25 by E-flite. I had the .40 sized one many years ago and it was a decent first low wing plane. My personal preference is for non-trike landing gear: most higher performance planes will be tail dragers and chances are you will want one at some point. A conventional landing gear is also more robust.
2) The Pulse 25 by E-flite. I have seen the .40 sized one fly and it seemed like a nice plane.
3) Either the new Sig T-Clips (high wing, pretty areobatic) or the new version of the 4*54 which is a redo of the original 4*. Both planes are ARF's by the way, not kits.

Good luck,

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Oct 04, 2013, 11:09 AM
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
319 Posts
I own and Escapade and I love it, but not as a second plane and first low wing plane. It is heavy and lands very hot, the Advance 25 would be great but its now discontinued. I own a mini pulse and love it and always wanted the .25 version but haven't purchased one yet. There is a difference between low wing planes and low wing trainers and I'd suggest going with a trainer type that is easier to land and get comfortable with. The Pulse 25 may be ok if you have mastered the high wing trainer type.
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
Old Oct 04, 2013, 12:09 PM
United States, NC, Leland
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
I know you said you dont want a foamie, but I just picked up a hitec weekender extra 300 as my second plane after my supercub that I went brushless and added ailerons. The weekender is excellent so far (15 flights). Highly recommended
pharmer1 is offline Find More Posts by pharmer1
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Sep 2013
360 Posts
Hitec weekender does look like a more logical choice. Hard not to get ahead of myself. I have joined an rc club so some one could help out with a more advanced set up.
Thanks again. I anticipated lots of suggestions. Amazing variety for us.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 08:48 PM
United States, NC, Leland
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
I also wanted a balsa model, almost got a 3dhs edge 540. I am happy I didnt since it is alot more money at risk. Im going balsa 3dhs for my next plane since I feel ill be more up to the task of flying it (and landing it).
pharmer1 is offline Find More Posts by pharmer1