HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:51 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,532 Posts
I had an interesting lunch too. Dead dead calm (other than thermal suck). So if there was any breeze at all you just flew in that direction and would hit lift. ANY other direction and you were in sink... like 0:50 - 1:20 kind of sink. The fun came when there was zero wind (i.e. no nearby thermal). It was a lesson in reading your plane in-flight... that I was maybe 50/50 in getting right. FUN. And the thermals were fairly short lived (~5 min). So the last 20 min or so I tried for 10 min flights. Didn't make a single one of them... all were about 6-8 min 'cause I had difficulty finding that second (and even third) ride.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,151 Posts
I did homework and went to class today. And will probably continue to do so until it's dark. On a happier note, I may have found a sucker who's willing to fetch my Mystic! He will be duly compensated.

Jon, I used to love climbing trees. Now I get vertigo at about 10 ft up. I'm pretty sure I'd get dizzy and fall if I tried to climb that tree.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
Awesome! I'll be down your way the weekend after next. I just found out that my wing repair didn't hold. It's just starting to work loose. No catastrophic failure, fortunately. Do you want me to try to repair it before bringing it to you? I'm a little concerned about my repair not holding again. Maybe I could bring it over and get your help with the repair?
Dont worry about repairing it - I will sort it out Brandon
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:57 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,945 Posts
Quote:
So are we sticking with Oct 27th for this month's contest?
Quote:
I've got an 8-hour exam on the 27th, I don't want to change the contest schedule just for my sake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I wouldn't mind having a contest before AZ. Next weekend is the only one that I couldn't do since we'll be in So Cal for EUA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
If we had it in Ut Co, my chances of attending go up.
Quote:
I think that would be UEA My wife has teacher conferences in Salt Lake on the 19th and I've got fall break that same day, so we'll be down that weekend. If we don't do the contest on the 20th that's okay. I'll still be flying somewhere in Utah County even if it's by myself
Yes, it's time for another UDLG monthly contest. Who is up for one on the 20th? It's Salt Lake county's turn, if they will plan & host it. Otherwise it will be UT co.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:05 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,867 Posts
Does the prosecution rest????
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Nov 2007
138 Posts
Russ Young

Hey Russ would you please give me a call 801-272-4604

Thanks

Dick Bean
Richard L Bean is online now Find More Posts by Richard L Bean
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2002
16,867 Posts
Lunch was a BLAST. Took the Vladios out again and it was DEAD calm. No real reads for an hour. I flew at a park 3 minutes from work that is out of my gf's wind tunnel. Smith Fields park.

It was a blast. Flew 1,2,3,4 and the ladder to near perfection. Lift was only strong once and that was @ 500' but other than that it was almost a repeat of last night in that the air was Budda!!!!!

I had a guy named "Wong" ???? come and talk to me for 20 minutes or so and he was fascinated by it. He is going to look up Utah DLG so I hope he finds us. He wants to come to our next contest.

I think this park would be a great option for lunch in that its 1/2 way between my work and AD's house, and I think it will generally be less windy than my gf's place next to the river.

WORK SUCKS!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post

WORK SUCKS!
so quit
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined May 2002
16,867 Posts
I tried. So I guess I will just keep working and making money.

Its also better than school....

https://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...16146523325934

Cozy, but big enough for 2 to 3 people with relative comfort.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Oct 09, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined May 2002
16,867 Posts
Never mind.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,151 Posts
I snuck away for about 20 min to fly and I'm glad I did. Today was the best air I've been able to fly in for about 3 weeks. It seemed there was always 3:00 air somewhere. The challenge was finding it, and I failed much more often than I succeeded. The problem was that everywhere but that one tiny pocket would be sinking like mad.

I tried a new field near my apartment that I've been eyeballing for a while. Turns out it's very small, but useable. Once you're below about 50' you're done because it's completely surrounded by trees and there just isn't room to maneuver and search for lift. After treeing my Mystic on Sat, however, I'm not keen on flying in tight spaces like that anymore Speaking of which, the tree trimmers were willing to get it, but it'd cost me about 50 bucks. At that price I'd rather just shoot it down with a potato gun and salvage the servos and receiver.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,945 Posts
So how did you get it down, or did you yet? What plane did you fly today?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,151 Posts
Still up there. I flew my Predator today.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:33 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,532 Posts
Any Saturday this month will work for me.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:59 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,945 Posts
Quote:
Still up there. I flew my Predator today.
At least it hasn't swallowed yet . I heard Russ can climb fir trees... or pine...

I'd pay the $50.