Old Jan 01, 2014, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by Cbed90
Sailplanes Rock & Balsa Rules!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2013
86 Posts
Question
Gentle Lady - Power System & Spoilers

I am about to start my build of a Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady. I could use some advice as I am relatively new to the world of RC. I have searched extensively and haven't seen a very modern write up of:

1. What is the recommended motor and supporting electronics including servos... for the Gentle Lady?

2. Are spoilers a good idea? I have seen references to the spoilers option for the Spirit as a model to copy from.

My inclination is to leave the wing design alone - at least for this first build. I am most interested in the best power source for getting the Gentle Lady aloft.

I'll appreciate getting the Community's input.

Thanks for your advice.
Cbed90 is offline Find More Posts by Cbed90
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:57 AM
Find More Posts by chawkins
Always room for one more!
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Jul 2012
270 Posts
The Gentle Lady is pretty much a 2 meter glider, I fly a Great Planes Spectra, also a 2 meter glider on a Rimfire .10 with a 2200 mAh battery with a 35 amp ESC. Up front is a 10x6 folding prop. I have fantastic results with this combo. I would believe it would do just as good in a Gentle Lady.
As for spoilers, I would leave them off the Gentle Lady, just my opinion.
chawkins is offline Find More Posts by chawkins
Old Jan 02, 2014, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by Bariboy
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
326 Posts
I flew mine with a 2830 1100kv brushless outrunner and a 10 x 6 folding prop, 35A speed controller and a 3s 1300 mah battery. also no spoilers. Climbed aggressively and did well.
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy
Old Jan 02, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined Dec 2013
86 Posts
Thanks

chawkins & Bariboy - thx for your advice. Everything I read tells me to leave well enough alone and build GL just as instructed. Your insight on the electric components really helps.

Now I just have to build and wait for Spring!

Thanks

Any other building advice / lessons learned will be appreciated.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:38 AM
Joined Feb 2006
326 Posts
One thing! I have seen and became a bit infatuated with a pod mounted electric motor set up. If you are building a two piece wing, consider this as an option. I would make the base of the pod the wing foil shape and build it to fit between the wing halves, then come up with enough support for motor, esc and maybe battery. Just a thought. I put the motor on the nose as a add on. If you build with motor intended you should have a better outcome I would think but consider it.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,219 Posts
I agree that for your first glider, you can do without the spoilers. It's a good idea to learn to judge the landing approaches without the spoilers.
Another big decision you need to make is whether you are going to build the wing in one piece or make the tips removable. The one piece wing is slightly lighter but a lot less convenient. Also if you ever want to sell the GL, it would be impossibly expensive to ship that one piece wing.
The plans show the servos placed under the wing. Suggest you move all the radio gear in front of the wing to reduce the amount of nose ballast needed. Remember that this plane was designed around 1980, when receivers weighed a lot more than they do today.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jan 02, 2014, 03:47 PM
Joined Dec 2013
86 Posts
Thanks John

John:

For the GL I will keep the servos in the body. I am debating following some advice to go with a pull-pull rudder set up. Anyone have an opinion here? It seems like it's not messing too much with the spirit of the original design.

I think I am going to go with the single wing design and not the removable tip approach. Whereas I don't imagine selling the GL, I do plan to eventually move back to CA from NY State. I had seen this posting for a shipping tube approach and made note of it for an eventual move - http://allrcflight.com/shipping-an-oversized-rc-plane/

Craig
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
2,230 Posts
It seems every time someone brings up spoilers 99% of the answers involve being able to land the dang plane on a flea's poop. That's fine if you are into competition, but for the real world (Read: Everyday Flying) their best use is getting out of overly enthusiastic thermals (or back upwind). If it were a pure sailplane then I would say yes, but seeing as you have a motor to power your way out of trouble then I would say they aren't as important. They are easy enough to add later if you want to.

That's just MHO.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:02 PM
Joined Dec 2013
86 Posts
Bariboy I have seen the original nitro power pod but haven't come across anything modern I'd be curious to see if there is any sort of clever alternatives. Craig
Old Jan 02, 2014, 04:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
326 Posts
there is a pod for the GP spirit which is in the spirit of what I would try to do. About to build a spirit and make my own pod mount. Check it out at tower hobbies I think. There was guy who made BOT that had the one i described about and it was very sexy and thin and looked to be the right approach. I think his was a puller not a pusher. Not sure if there is a huge difference between them but would go with folding prop as well. I think a hole could be made, with reinforcement through the wing to put all the vitals inside the fuse.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bariboy View Post
there is a pod for the GP spirit which is in the spirit of what I would try to do. About to build a spirit and make my own pod mount. Check it out at tower hobbies I think. There was guy who made BOT that had the one i described about and it was very sexy and thin and looked to be the right approach. I think his was a puller not a pusher. Not sure if there is a huge difference between them but would go with folding prop as well. I think a hole could be made, with reinforcement through the wing to put all the vitals inside the fuse.
Pods add a great deal of drag. This would reduce the thermalling performance.

Sorry about the servo comment. You may actually need to move the servos further back in the fuse to balance the weight of the motor.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,491 Posts
Pods also raise the c/g well above the datum line of the fuse. That makes the plane handle oddly and can cause weather vane issues. You are limited to prop size by pod height. Motor in the nose is much better for performance issues.

Went there, did that on my original Oly II. Quickly moved to motor in the nose and have never looked back.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 03, 2014, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by ScottSails
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,337 Posts
I am about to start my build of a Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady. I could use some advice as I am relatively new to the world of RC. I have searched extensively and haven't seen a very modern write up of:

1. What is the recommended motor and supporting electronics including servos... for the Gentle Lady?

Mine uses a 18A draw on 3C for about 200W (total weight is 29.8oz, 1300mAh 3S battery and gets about 1100 feet per min climb)... The motor I use is no longer available but you want something with about 250W+ rating. Don't use any bigger capacity or your ability to catch thermals will suffer.
This looks pretty good for motor and should be moderately powered:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html

Use a 25A-30A ESC. I have used this in mine for 4? years.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
You might want this for a little more buffer:
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...lyfun-30a.html

Servos - HS82 or HS-65 - others will specify their favorite. While I cheap out on motors (I use EMP which is same as the above which is actually made by XYH?), I don't cheap out on critical servos (spoilers i do) for key control surfaces. A 9 gram servo would likely be just fine for both surfaces, I don't have any to recommend.

2. Are spoilers a good idea? I have seen references to the spoilers option for the Spirit as a model to copy from.

My suggestion is NO spoilers unless you need to land on a dime. Should you get stuck in a thermal, put the wings vertical (on side, NOT a dive) and circle down using elevator to control turn (you don't want to overstress wing with too tight a turn).

My inclination is to leave the wing design alone - at least for this first build. I am most interested in the best power source for getting the Gentle Lady aloft.

Yes - leave wing alone. Try to build reasonably light - use light covering such as Ultracote lite. I use red but that is what works for my eyes.

I'll appreciate getting the Community's input.
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Dec 2013
86 Posts
Great Advice Scott

Thanks Scott! I'll follow,your advice.

My goal is to get up and then sail. I am new to the hobby but think this is the way to get started.

There so much to learn and folks like you and the others above can help us newbies see the "forest for the trees".
Old Jan 03, 2014, 05:06 PM
Joined Feb 2006
326 Posts
Look at post three:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1588504