HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetafly View Post
Thanks for the update Danny. I will just go with the separate mixes for now. Not an issue really as my Su 29KS and Slick only use the throttle elevator mix for down lines. Really enjoying exploring this great radio.
I believe I have the fix for asymmetrical aileron mixing. It starts when setting up Basic Properties in the Model Menu. Under wing type select zero Flaps and 1 Aileron.

Next you have a decision to make. I chose to transmit one aileron channel on channel 2. I then programmed the receiver to give me that aileron signal on channel 3 as well as channel 2 and put them both in group A. That way I am sure there is no difference in the latency between the two channels. The results might be the same if I had added aileron to channel 3 in the transmitter, I don't really know.

Now set up a free mixer, Rudder to ailerons and you can set up different magnitudes and/or directions for left and right rudder mix into ailerons. And when you adjust the mix on one side it changes both ailerons equally. A very straightforward and understandable solution.

Jim O
JOddino is offline Find More Posts by JOddino
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2013, 06:48 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
I'd call it a workaround, not a fix, but genius all the same.
Sillyness is offline Find More Posts by Sillyness
Old Sep 08, 2013, 09:06 PM
Melbourne, FL
Joined Dec 2004
1,035 Posts
Interesting....I'll need to check this out. Does the aileron differential work with the single aileron setup in basic properties?

Danny
F1 Rocket is offline Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 09, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Oct 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Interesting....I'll need to check this out. Does the aileron differential work with the single aileron setup in basic properties?

Danny
First of all I agree with Sillyness that this is a workaround not the ultimate fix. However, there is a way to get differential and that is to adjust the Max positive and/or the Max negative for each servo, as required, in the Servo Setup. How this all works with dual rates and expo, etc., and the servo matching when it comes, is unknown and a more conventional two channels for two ailerons fix would probably be better. It is hard to analyze without a functional block diagram of the system.

And then there is always setting up a mechanical differential like we did in the old days. But most folks don't use aileron differential in aerobatic planes these days and planes that need differential probably don't need asymmetrical mixing.

Jim O
Old Sep 09, 2013, 01:36 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
When you do the two mix solution, one of the mixes seems to be the wrong direction. When I adjust both ailerons for what looks like left rudder deflection on mixing graph (let's say 20%) then the same for right rudder (let's say 10%) then the net result was with left rudder, one aileron went up 20% and the other went down 10%, and vice versa. Really strange.

If you use the 1 aileron solution, can you still apply crow?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Oct 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyness View Post
When you do the two mix solution, one of the mixes seems to be the wrong direction. When I adjust both ailerons for what looks like left rudder deflection on mixing graph (let's say 20%) then the same for right rudder (let's say 10%) then the net result was with left rudder, one aileron went up 20% and the other went down 10%, and vice versa. Really strange.

If you use the 1 aileron solution, can you still apply crow?
It sounds like you are close. Make sure you think of it this way. One mixer is mixed into one aileron servo (s1) and the other is mixed into the other (s2). Set them up one at a time. I use 3 point curves. Let's start with the right aileron and let's say we want right roll with left rudder. We would adjust point 1 on the left side of the graph to the value and direction (plus or minus input) that would make the right aileron go up. Then adjust point 3 to give the proper value and direction when commanding right rudder. Then repeat the procedure on the other aileron servo with the other mixer. You can see you need to make two adjustments anytime you want to change the mix value if you want symmetrical aileron throws, up and down for a given rudder input.

At first glance I'd say the one aileron solution would not work for crow but this thing is pretty versatile.

Jim O
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:24 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOddino View Post
It sounds like you are close. Make sure you think of it this way. One mixer is mixed into one aileron servo (s1) and the other is mixed into the other (s2). Set them up one at a time. I use 3 point curves. Let's start with the right aileron and let's say we want right roll with left rudder. We would adjust point 1 on the left side of the graph to the value and direction (plus or minus input) that would make the right aileron go up. Then adjust point 3 to give the proper value and direction when commanding right rudder. Then repeat the procedure on the other aileron servo with the other mixer. You can see you need to make two adjustments anytime you want to change the mix value if you want symmetrical aileron throws, up and down for a given rudder input.

At first glance I'd say the one aileron solution would not work for crow but this thing is pretty versatile.

Jim O
Thanks man. I've got it set up, but its pretty counterintuitive on the right aileron (ie with the left side of the graph set the throw for right rudder deflection). The left one seemed to work correctly. Maybe there's another setting I need to tweak.

Overall, it'd be nice to see a real fix for this.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyness View Post
Thanks man. I've got it set up, but its pretty counterintuitive on the right aileron (ie with the left side of the graph set the throw for right rudder deflection). The left one seemed to work correctly. Maybe there's another setting I need to tweak.

Overall, it'd be nice to see a real fix for this.
No, the left side of the mixer graph, point 1, is setting the aileron direction for a left rudder command on both mixers. The right side sets the aileron direction for right rudder commands. Set point 3 to zero on both mixers and you should get no mix with right rudder. Set point 1 positive on one mixer and negative on the other and you will get aileron action, one up the other down with left rudder. Reverse the polarities on point 1 if it is in the wrong direction.

Hope this helps, Jim
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:46 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOddino View Post
No, the left side of the mixer graph, point 1, is setting the aileron direction for a left rudder command on both mixers. The right side sets the aileron direction for right rudder commands. Set point 3 to zero on both mixers and you should get no mix with right rudder. Set point 1 positive on one mixer and negative on the other and you will get aileron action, one up the other down with left rudder. Reverse the polarities on point 1 if it is in the wrong direction.

Hope this helps, Jim
I'll check on this when I get home. Pretty certain mine didn't work like you discussed.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:17 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
Ok... I figured out the problem. I had to switch the opposite symmetric setting on the right aileron, then reverse the mix directions, and now the adjustments for left rudder and right rudder work correctly... Much more intuitive.

Confusing.

Thanks for second guessing me!!!! Much easier now!!!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
232 Posts
Well, ive been through this thread several times, and tried loads of different mix setups on my ds-16 to get this working on a plane with separate servo channels on elevators, and ailerons.
I cant get it to work, without using 4 mixes for aileron, and 4 for elevator. (Single direction mixes). Way to complicated when doing changes to the mix..

I got tired, and made my own 2 mixes for aileron (one for left rudd, one for right) and 2 for elevator, and enable the mixes with rudder stick switch at 4% on/off setting.
This seems to work perfectly, and i have made the mixes on both ele/ail so that positive number % is left rudder mix, and negative % is right rudder mix. Makes it easier to remember which is what, when you cant relabel the mix names.
Ola. is offline Find More Posts by Ola.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Oct 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola. View Post
Well, ive been through this thread several times, and tried loads of different mix setups on my ds-16 to get this working on a plane with separate servo channels on elevators, and ailerons.
I cant get it to work, without using 4 mixes for aileron, and 4 for elevator. (Single direction mixes). Way to complicated when doing changes to the mix..

I got tired, and made my own 2 mixes for aileron (one for left rudd, one for right) and 2 for elevator, and enable the mixes with rudder stick switch at 4% on/off setting.
This seems to work perfectly, and i have made the mixes on both ele/ail so that positive number % is left rudder mix, and negative % is right rudder mix. Makes it easier to remember which is what, when you cant relabel the mix names.
You should be able to do the ailerons with 2 mixers and the elevator with one. When Jeti fixes the aileron mix it will take just one mix also. Why do you want to enable them with rudder? Why not leave them enabled all the time? The whole idea is for them to work only when you move the rudder. What am I missing?

Jim O
Old Oct 01, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Feb 2011
232 Posts
If you only use 1 mix for elevator, how can you then set separatly % for left and right?

I tried alot of different approaches, flattening one side of the curve etc etc, but since the mix only controls output, and not what input should do, i found the results way to complicated.

I have mine permanently on. Whenever i use more than 4% rudder (which is barely moving the stick), i enable the mix for that direction.
Just a way to make less mixes to achive the same goal.

I know it will be alot easier when jeti fix this. My old dsx11 had this, and it was very easy to do.
Ola. is offline Find More Posts by Ola.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:02 AM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,057 Posts
This will be an important missing function to correct in a future update as these mixes are common and easy on other radios.
I need to do these mixes on several planes for knife-edge trim and as stated earlier - it must be different for left and right rudder to ailerons.
Hope the update comes sooner than later!

Joe
JK13 is online now Find More Posts by JK13
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:16 AM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
We have had a few conversations with Jeti regarding this issue. They are aware of it but the fix will not be in the next update. We will continue to push for this to be taken care of but cannot say when this will be. Bottom line for now is please be patient

Danny
Esprit Model/Jeti USA
Hi Danny!
Is this still coming - it is badly needed!!
Flying season is on us and this trim capability would be helpful.
Thanks

Joe
JK13 is online now Find More Posts by JK13