HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:03 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,409 Posts
Hey Pyroman the red ,yellow and white plane is a tidewater pronto with ail .Great flying plane! I scratch built mine last year. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
Thanks for the plan. I think my next build will be a low winger because I have never flown one before and, well. I want to. Haha. I didn't realize your plane was for a .15 engine. I thought about scaling the plan down to better fit my .049, but then I found the Pacer/Mach None and the Jr. Skylark . . .

Mach None
Jr. Skylark

I'm thinking about one of those two for my next build because they are already made for an .049. What do you think about those?

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the single-engine Skylark . . .
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Back to the MM - I won't be able to go to the LHS today The LHS is out of my way and I only go by it when I am going to a class I take at the university. Since the university is closed today due to MLK day, I won't be able to get out to the LHS. So it looks like I'm postponed for another week. Anyway, all the more reason to build another plane
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
Thanks for the plan. I think my next build will be a low winger because I have never flown one before and, well. I want to. Haha. I didn't realize your plane was for a .15 engine. I thought about scaling the plan down to better fit my .049, but then I found the Pacer/Mach None and the Jr. Skylark . . .

Mach None
Jr. Skylark

I'm thinking about one of those two for my next build because they are already made for an .049. What do you think about those?

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the single-engine Skylark . . .
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Back to the MM - I won't be able to go to the LHS today The LHS is out of my way and I only go by it when I am going to a class I take at the university. Since the university is closed today due to MLK day, I won't be able to get out to the LHS. So it looks like I'm postponed for another week. Anyway, all the more reason to build another plane
I think either of those are great flyers ,I flew the ace pacer and it was a good pattern plane but i would go with the skylark nice relaxing flying there. joe
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,852 Posts
Pyroman, green can be hard to see against a blue sky sometimes. Much worse, it disappears against green trees when you're coming in to land, and it's hard to find in the grass/trees should land off field. Don't ask me how I know that....

As to your next build, the Mach None is for a TeeDee, and it wants to be flown fast. It's a great plane (I had both a Mach None and a Pacer, the former Electric and the latter Glow -- both great fliers), but it's not something you can relax with.

So, I'd recommend the Skylark.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
Skylark it is!

That's a very good point about the color scheme Captain Dunsel. I played with the colors a bit more, and I've changed the green to red. I think it looks just as cool, and there should be no problem seeing this thing
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:45 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,852 Posts
Yes, that's a very striking and very attractive color scheme!

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
Ultracote isn't cheap!

So I bought some Ultracote yesterday and did my first covering job ever last night! I only did the horiz. stab. but I am very happy with it overall. It was much easier than expected. The only trouble I had was adding the black trim. I thought it would be too hard to cut out a perfect "U" shape out of the black for the trim and get it lined up just right, so what I did was cut a long strip of black 1/4" wide and just fit it around the curve. I tried to get the wrinkles out of the trim the best I could, but there are still some around the curves.

How do y'all add trim like this? I'm sure there's a better way or a trick to get out the wrinkles on the curves.

Also, on the bottom of my iron's sock there are red lines from the red covering. I'm sure this means I'm doing something wrong, but what? Because of these red lines there is a little spot of red coloring on the cream section. How do I remove this red spot?

Anyway, here's some pics…
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359480546.894006.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 50.5 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359480589.075077.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 55.1 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359480710.519762.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 58.4 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359480736.977324.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 55.0 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359480755.924235.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 27.8 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359480771.176531.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 28.8 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359480787.260381.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 46.9 KB
Description:
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,409 Posts
Rubbing alcihol will take it off or prepsall wont hurt covering either . Its glue that got on your iron cloth and rubbed off elsewhere. joe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:18 PM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
When ironing, the glue melts and can seep out from under the plastic. It's harmless and as Joe mentioned, cleans up easy.

The trim can be stretched a bit as you go around corners, but it's a bit of a pain. Not worth stressing over but there are tutorials out there.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:51 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Pyroman, I never used ultracoat myself so i cant shed any light on useing it for trim. However, if it lays down like Monokote, you could try cutting a 1/8" strip and follow right behind it with the tip of the heat iron. It may stretch around your curvs, i know Monokote will. Another way to do it & get clean lines is with automotive trim tape. I use it all the time & follow it up with a heat iron on tight corners. I used it on my mini mambo, see pic. (hint) if you use a good quality wax after applying it, nitro wont bother lifting it if you wipe down after flying.....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029 View Post
Pyroman, I never used ultracoat myself so i cant shed any light on useing it for trim. However, if it lays down like Monokote, you could try cutting a 1/8" strip and follow right behind it with the tip of the heat iron. It may stretch around your curvs, i know Monokote will. Another way to do it & get clean lines is with automotive trim tape. I use it all the time & follow it up with a heat iron on tight corners. I used it on my mini mambo, see pic. (hint) if you use a good quality wax after applying it, nitro wont bother lifting it if you wipe down after flying.....Gene
Thats a nice covering job Gene ,i can put stripes on but its frustrating to me so i cut trim sheets into thin strips and warm it up with my heat gun to go around curves. I hate doing pinstrips and have been masking them off and spraying them on when i get lazy. joe
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029 View Post
Thanks for the info Gene. I'll try doing the thin strip of covering followed by an iron on a scrap piece of balsa tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work so I won't have to pick up some trim tape. . .

I have installed the servos, hinged both control surfaces, mounted the horiz. and vert. stabs, ran pushrods, and installed the control horns. I really like the sewn hinges. They are different and actually kind of cool looking. Plus they create almost no resistance. I'll be using these in the future!

I've also laminated some balsa to create the windshield and the cowl block. The cowl block is being glued onto the front right now and I'll finish shaping it tomorrow.

I'll have to install the fuel tank before I sheet the plane because it will be a real pain to but in there afterwards.

No pics, but maybe some tomorrow. . .