HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Discussion
Solo Pro 228 - spare parts

I am thinking of buying a Solo Pro 228. I am fairly new to helis and from what I read the 228 will make a good trainer.

What spare parts would you recommend that I buy together with the kit?
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,471 Posts
Buy two helis. That way you have spares for everything and can swap parts and components to help identify problems. Really, it's the best way to isolate problems when you have a model that's not very popular, so you can't rely on online help.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAP CHIN POH View Post
I am thinking of buying a Solo Pro 228. I am fairly new to helis and from what I read the 228 will make a good trainer.

What spare parts would you recommend that I buy together with the kit?
I have a Solo Pro 228p and it's a decent heli but certainly not outstanding. Good speed in a straight line but it is more difficult to get it to bank. The shaft drive tail gives it a unique sound. I find it precise in hover and easy to land on a small stool. I fly it with an xtreme flybar and J6Pro tx which does provide better control.

The main weaknesses are the tail parts, landing gear, and flybar strikes. So get a a few tail shafts, gear set, tail holder and landing gear. And lower the canopy to mostly get rid of the canopy strikes. The SP228 is a tinkerer's heli.

If money is not an object then get a full spare heli like Balr suggested. But the bottom line is that the 228 is pretty expensive for what it is, although spare parts are readily available and inexpensive.

If you are looking for a trainer, my recommendation is to skip the SP228. If you are training for basic flying skills you could start with a v911 but a quad will get you thrilling performance and some experience toward cp flying. Both are more durable and easier to maintain than the SP228. Jus take them out of the box and fly.

After flying my quads I find it hard to go back to my fp helis.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
I have a Solo Pro 228p and it's a decent heli but certainly not outstanding. Good speed in a straight line but it is more difficult to get it to bank. The shaft drive tail gives it a unique sound. I find it precise in hover and easy to land on a small stool. I fly it with an xtreme flybar and J6Pro tx which does provide better control.

The main weaknesses are the tail parts, landing gear, and flybar strikes. So get a a few tail shafts, gear set, tail holder and landing gear. And lower the canopy to mostly get rid of the canopy strikes. The SP228 is a tinkerer's heli.

If money is not an object then get a full spare heli like Balr suggested. But the bottom line is that the 228 is pretty expensive for what it is, although spare parts are readily available and inexpensive.

If you are looking for a trainer, my recommendation is to skip the SP228. If you are training for basic flying skills you could start with a v911 but a quad will get you thrilling performance and some experience toward cp flying. Both are more durable and easier to maintain than the SP228. Jus take them out of the box and fly.

After flying my quads I find it hard to go back to my fp helis.

regards . . . g
I'll sure second that. The 228 flies nicely and is a good size. However, it is in need of tinkering. One crash resulted in a broken frame at the places where the skids insert. Repaired by applying epoxy around mounts and adding extra plastic panels to weak frame. Even though I tightened gently all screws, two went missing after three flights. Vertical fin by rear rotor also cracked, requiring repair. I would add screws, fin and tail rotor to parts list. Cheapest at myrcmart.com. Or just get two V911s and fly devil out of them.You will learn quickly with very few repairs needed. When you get a bigger chopper, just remember it will respond slower and need more space to do turns. Happy flyin'!
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
Penang, Malaysia
Joined Jun 2002
414 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys.
YEAP CHIN POH is offline Find More Posts by YEAP CHIN POH