SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:04 PM
Zog go fly now!
Clarksville, TN
Joined Oct 2002
156 Posts
Question
Graupner Gee Bee/Mega combo

I plan to use a Mega 16/15/5 on a Graupner Gee Bee. For those among us who have "been there-done that," are there any special mounting considerations I need to be aware of? Is downthrust/right-thrust built into the fuse mounting (I can't tell whether it is or not)?

Regards...Fred
ac5tf is offline Find More Posts by ac5tf
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2003, 10:39 AM
Zog go fly now!
Clarksville, TN
Joined Oct 2002
156 Posts
Again...

Anyone?
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:37 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Fred

I actually responded to this one but it didn't take. Oh well, I'll try again.

I used a Mega 4 turn in one, just glued it in, the same way they spec for the Speed 400. Quick , easy and works fine. I used the 4 turn because I wanted to fly with the Graupner 6.5 x 4 scale prop. Your choice will work equally well on a somewhat larger prop.

The Gee Bee is a good flier with strong aerobatic performance, I think that wou will like it. The landing gear is a bit stiff and set in front of the CG, so if you don't fly the plane into the landing it will bounce the nose up on you.

Good Luck and enjoy yours,

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Last edited by Hiflyer; Dec 10, 2003 at 11:40 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:02 PM
Zog go fly now!
Clarksville, TN
Joined Oct 2002
156 Posts
Hiflyer...

Thanks! This pretty much says it all. Actually, I posted this query on 3 different forums hoping to find someone with this sort of experience with the issue at hand. Kind of hate to think about taking sandpaper to the casing of an expensive BL motor, but what the heck!

I am kind of curious how we're getting around the right thrust/downthrust issue...it doesn't appear to be built into the fuse, but maybe it is.

Fred Wegener
Old Dec 10, 2003, 01:45 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
>>I am kind of curious how we're getting around the right thrust/downthrust issue<<

I did nothing about it, I simply mounted the motor per the instructions. It has worked out fine, I haven't felt that it needed to be different.

By the way, if you don't want to glue the case of the motor directly to the plane, you can cover the motor with a length of heat shrink tubing and rough up the surface of the tubing then glue the whole assembly into place. If you later want to remove the motor, simply slit the tubing and take the motor out.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Dec 10, 2003, 02:52 PM
Zog go fly now!
Clarksville, TN
Joined Oct 2002
156 Posts
Heeeyyy now

That's a good idea. I'll have to keep an eye on cooling considerations, but otherwise, this sounds like the way to go.

Thanks...Fred