SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
396 Posts
Discussion
need help with primary gain and autolevel Mode gain

Hi, I read through the hoverfly pro manual. Have Hoverfly pro, Spectrum 8 radio, In the illustration, figure 13, it shows -25 and +25 for the two gains. However, in the description below it says, "when the channel 5 gain switch in the the negative mode then auto leveling is diabled and a Primary Gain of 25 is used by the Hovercore Algorithm. When the primary swith is in the positive position the Auto-Level Mode is enabled and a Primary gain of 25 is used." The illistration shows - 25. The description does not say whether it is positive or negative.
Thanks Roman
rkenosha is offline Find More Posts by rkenosha
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,631 Posts
25 is just a starting point. After tuning most of us have a much higher gain. A gain of 80-100 is not unusual. The setup client tells you want mode you are in and the actual board gain. Don’t rely on transmitter numbers always set the gain using the setup client. If the AL box is checked than you are setting AL gain. If it’s not checked than you are setting the main board gain.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
396 Posts
That Part I understand. I am just trying to get the + and - figures correct of setting intial gain. Thanks Roman
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
To follow on from "RC Man"... I'm sorry if I start sounding repetitive

The + and - are just indications on your radio of the end points in relation to 0% - the middle. Some radios have 0% at low stick, 50% at middle and 100% at high stick. For them, I would start with 25% one way and 75% the other...

Try not to analyze your settings on the TX too much. It isn't important - what is important is how the board (and client software) see the gain channel.

The switching from normal gain to AL gain is done by switching from "+" one way to "-" the other way. On the client software - just check the AL box is ticked when you have the switch set in the direction you want for AL. If it is reversed to what you would like, reverse the channel on your TX.

The client software also shows you the "gain" as a number. I start with "30" on the screen and go from there. When you switch to AL, the client will show your new AL gain as a normal number (like 30) without any "-" symbol. You know it is AL as the AL box is ticked.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Last edited by Efliernz; Feb 20, 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: techies acnt sp@ll...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
396 Posts
Thanks. That was helpful reply. I was stuck a little on the + and - side of things.
Roman
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:57 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
No worries. We have all been there...

As for "how much gain". It really is a "personal preference" type of thing! I decrease my gain on my hex when flying in wind (15mph+) as I find the board is over-controlling a little. The basic HFP boards fly really well.

Stacky and I did a video shoot last month that required carrying a couple small cameras on small quads - but because the brief included some intentional carnage, we used CC boards (when we really wanted to use HF boards). I have only flown HF for the last 5 weeks - daily - but I gave one of the CC quads a fly last Friday. Even in perfect weather... it sucked really badly compared to the HF board! The HF boards quite simply fly really well. It is a bonus that you don't need a computing degree to set them up or to adjust gains!

Good luck.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz