HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:36 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post

Mexico - Hahaha! It's a balmy 0 here in the southern interior of BC right now. So far the only heli I can fly below 0 is the F45. The V911 is not too bad, the V929's get strange and unstable and the DH9116 doesn't seem to want to fly more than a few seconds even if it's 10 degrees above 0. For whatever reason, the F45 seems to be fine even at 10 below so long as it's not windy. My only issue then is that things get very brittle. At least the motors are cool as can be.
Brittle is right. When I had mine out 2 weeks ago on a balmy -5 day with a little breeze and my gyro went nuts after about 4 minutes of flying, I managed to get it within 5 feet of the ground before cutting throttle. It dropped flat on the skids and broke 3 of the 4 skid arms.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:02 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
I guess I'll have to resign myself to indoor flight sometime in the next few weeks... not sure if I will survive the winter that way. V911's, a V939 (that has a dead motor), and some S800G's. Sounds so boring... LOL

I keep thinking about a wet weather mod. I've flown the F45 in light drizzle and a few times now in lightly snowing conditions. I think the motor has no problem with the wetness - just the circuit board and connectors etc. I'm thinking it'd be a blast to set one up with full rain gear and a wet camera.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
I keep thinking about a wet weather mod. I've flown the F45 in light drizzle and a few times now in lightly snowing conditions. I think the motor has no problem with the wetness - just the circuit board and connectors etc. I'm thinking it'd be a blast to set one up with full rain gear and a wet camera.
How's that? Put a small umbrella above it connected to the MainShaft?

slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Eric, part of this hobby is making your own things and feeling a sense of pride, if you plan to progress, then buying ready made is great if you have a bunch of money and servants. But really, it cant be that hard to get a Coke or beer can, a pair of sissors and a hole maker, a sharpie to trace out the end of the blade and make your own. I understand that your young, but understand that the satisfaction of buiding your own is worth more than the bought items. Imagination is what stimulates the mind.
You know War Horse,... you're absolutely right. There is a rush of accomplishment when you figure it out with what you got. Sorta like those guys in Apollo 13! Can't get everything at the Supermarket,... and even if you could, what's the fun in that. It also kinda makes you slow-n-sluggish when it comes to figuring stuff out. Point taken! What I was really tryin' to do was to contribute something. I had been doing all the taking, and I just figured I'd try and switch it around for once. Sorry!
Eric.Jr.Sax is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jr.Sax
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
At least you can fly. I have a foot of snow on the ground and out high to day is -10C with 10km wind chill.
With my new setup using the 401B gyro, I can't go out below freezing as the Gyro goes crazy as it cools of. It seems the better the gyro or controller, the more susceptible to temperature extremes they are.
I'm going to move near you. What part of Mexico do you live in.
Ah yes - no snow here except on top of Mauna Kea in January, sometimes. You guys can visit any time! Four flights today with just a bit of wind.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:17 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
I have both but have not done any sort of comparison testing. The original tx works just fine - never had any issues with it at all. I haven't used the new one more than a few short flights and didn't notice any problems with it. Not much help but that's all I have for now.
Ok what new TX ??
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
A bit off subject, but the Solo Pro 228 is much stronger with the added bracing. Too bad NE didn't use the metal frame concept as on the F645. The 228 is a nice bird and fun to fly, but in need of some MJX engineering. Maybe I'll get industrious and make an aluminum frame or possibly add more plastic bracing (or never crash!). Any suggestions other than aluminum?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Ok what new TX ??
Seems there is a "new" TX that mates with the "new" PCB. Looks about the same except for different decals, but according to some seller sites one must use "old" parts together or "new" parts together - no mixing. All I know.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:50 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper View Post
Seems there is a "new" TX that mates with the "new" PCB. Looks about the same except for different decals, but according to some seller sites one must use "old" parts together or "new" parts together - no mixing. All I know.
Ok I wonder what they have changed?
I might have to get a new board and TX and try it out has anyone got a link to one?

As for your post above about aluminum frame this should be fine as it's still light but allot stronger and easy to work with, you can use the frame as a template and cut it out with a dremel tool.

Here is a link to eBay page showing TX and PCB I can't see any changes on the PCB

I have contacted MJX to find out what they have changed and I will try to get a PCB and TX, I can find a PCB but can't find a TX but I will keep looking.

Ok here is the PCB $17.90 USD and here is the TX $28.00 USD
Both at a good price and good shipping for us in Australia $16.00 USD EMS 5-20 working days.

They will accept all cards and PayPal.

I have ordered one of each so when they get here I will instal them and find out what are the changes and if they are better.
Last edited by Whizgig; Dec 07, 2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:29 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Ok I wonder what they have changed?
I might have to get a new board and TX and try it out has anyone got a link to one?

As for your post above about aluminum frame this should be fine as it's still light but allot stronger and easy to work with, you can use the frame as a template and cut it out with a dremel tool.

Here is a link to eBay page showing TX and PCB I can't see any changes on the PCB

I have contacted MJX to find out what they have changed and I will try to get a PCB and TX, I can find a PCB but can't find a TX but I will keep looking.

Ok here is the PCB $17.90 USD and here is the TX $28.00 USD
Both at a good price and good shipping for us in Australia $16.00 USD EMS 5-20 working days.

They will accept all cards and PayPal.

I have ordered one of each so when they get here I will instal them and find out what are the changes and if they are better.
At the price of the PCB and the TX, it makes my Turnigy look better all the time for $55.00
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:54 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
At the price of the PCB and the TX, it makes my Turnigy look better all the time for $55.00
Yep they are a bit pricey but it's the only ones I could find where I could buy both items and get a good price for postage to Australia from USA.

One of them I found the PCB at USD $10.50 and USD $97.00 postage to Australia.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:46 AM
weo
The Netherlands, NH, Schagen
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
first

hey im new here and my writing in englisch is no good
but i wanted to say that i am learning a lot here about the f45
i have a f645 and have only 11 times flight
thanks fore charing so much info
i wil keep one reading and less writing
here is al smal movi of my crach this morning ,i was lucky it was freezing here so the water was turned in to ice
F645 F45 helikopter stort neer op sloot (1 min 31 sec)
weo is offline Find More Posts by weo
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:59 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the thread Weo

Nice weather just make sure you clean out the snow and dry it in a nice warm room as heli's and snow don't mix very well.

Your English is fine and very understandable, nice flying how long have you been flying heli's?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:03 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
That heli with the umbreli looks like fun. If you run into trouble you can let the umbrella gently bring you down.

Nice video weo!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:07 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,847 Posts
MJX Brushless Upgrade

I don't own one of these, so I didn't read all posts, so this
may be in here already.

The extra servo header on the PCB is a direct throttle output
for an aftermarket ESC (brushless too).

HOW COOL IS THAT !!

Just found that out watching an F45 brushless mod video.
If I am thinking clearly, this means you could use this PCB
in all kinds of models.

Looks like I'm buying one of these babies too !!
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:21 AM.