Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
Don't just appreciate them, tape them.
LOL. Don't worry, I don't have to be told twice to tape. I am surprised I taped my cub sparingly. So I taped the tips, tied the battery hatch to the fuselage terminal for the battery with thread.....and I couldn't control myself so I put tape around the cowl as well. Of course, not over the vents.

BATTERY/CHARGER - My battery was very annoying (I think its probably the charger). I recall a post where you said yours was on Conditioning mode all the time. Mine was both solid lights on for at least 3 hrs I think last night - so Charging mode all the time. Finally I decided $#%@ it, I'm flying it one way or the other. I flew for about 7 minutes (was probably 2 minutes of just trying multiple landings). Quick question, would a HZ SC charger be ok to use for the stock battery? http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ1003.html Also open to any suggestions for good chargers that can charge my Cub battery as well as this one at the same time.

TAKE OFF AND THROTTLE - Was no wind at the field. Take off and flying was easy. After take off I turned it around and thought, "what a nice little slow flyer". That was the only time. For the remaining 7 minutes I had it on 40-50% throttle, at times even 30%. This plane has a lot of inertia, takes a bit to get it moving and then it hauls. My plane kept wanting to climb and I suspected the elevator may be a bit up and compensated for it. When I landed I confirmed. I had checked it last night and only made sure the surfaces were moving in the right direction this morning. So it may be something others want to check several times. But this is probably just me not doing a good job. To avoid a stall I never had to put more than 50% throttle. Of course, this was all in ZERO WIND.

STEERING - I am a beginner who has only flown the HZ SuperCub and the Flyzone Micro Albatros so I can't tell the difference that much in terms of steering. To me the steering feels the same as the Cub, very easy and responsive. I flew it with the Tx switch on high rate - but thats only for others' reference. Someone posted here they flew it at low rate and maybe I should have done that too. Also, I flew it low (no more than 50 feet) which was also probably not the best idea but I am extremely paranoid of losing my planes - I would rather crash than lose them. My flying field is adjacent a shooting range and they are legally in their right to confiscate planes and equipment if we ever accidentally fly planes in their airspace. I haven't gotten even close but paranoia sticks with me.

LANDING (eventually) - Had to try landing 4 times and yes, I did let it just glide in, there were many times I didn't have the motor running even in regular flight.
1st try - Bounce
2nd - Keeps gliding
3rd - Bounce
4th - Bounce bounce land
This plane steers very easily on the ground too.
PittSpecial more detailed landing tips would be greatly appreciated.
I think my nosewheel strut is bent back a little bit from the bouncing. I need to check again when I get home. Didn't have much time to inspect 'cause I had to run to work.

Thanks again for all your help guys. My maiden flight was successful thanks to you all.

PS - Sorry if I bored you to death with so much text.

Update - Nose landing gear was bent back a bit. I slowly pulled holding the wheel with one hand while gripping the coil with needle-nose pliers to avoid putting pressure on the plane (having one of the plier jaws through the coil). No more than a couple of seconds pressure at a time and several pulls. Eventually it came back to normal (or seems like it anyways). I really need to learn to land.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Last edited by cmdl; Apr 12, 2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
There are lots of good landing tips in this thread if you wish to dig 'em out. Several methods work well.

I let it get about 2' off the runway on its glide path and then use gentle pressure down on the right stik for up elevator ... GENTLE steady pressure trying to hold it 2' above runway .... it slowly settles. Keep your eye on the wheels, just before it settles flare. If you can catch this 6" above the runway you will get a landing that has others praising your prowess. If they only knew how easy this plane lands

I had a landing with this plane during the winter where the plane basically floated 2" above the runway for 20' .... lucky one, wish I could do it every time.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
Quick question, would a HZ SC charger be ok to use for the stock battery? http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ1003.html Also open to any suggestions for good chargers that can charge my Cub battery as well as this one at the same time.
I honestly would avoid those type of chargers completely. They only charge through the balance port and they give you no information or control. Plus they seem to break, Its a waste of money. More importantly, I don't think it's healthy for your lipos. Get a real charger with a digital display, you will use it for everything. No matter what plane or anything rc you buy, you will never have to worry about a charger. I have an onyx235 and it's awesome. It wasn't cheap but i bought it straight from the lhs. If you're willing to buy online, you can probably get a much cheaper charger with more capabilities. I strongly recommend a digital charger that can charge more than one battery at once. That's my only gripe, having to wait for enough batteries to take with me. I don't know much about what to get and where though, I'm sure some of the guys here can point you to the right place.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:09 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Get the best charger you can

As Kawi has pointed out, the cheap chargers are not a good thing and will result in a much shorter life battery.
Get a good one where yu can set the charge rate etc. It also helps to see and note how many mA did the battery take once it is charged.
This allows you to know for sure how long you can safely fly with a battery.

Please note that in order to preserve the life time of a battery you should try and land always with at least 30%.

This means 30% of the charge capacity ( for example, with a 2200 liPo you'd want to use no more than 1540 MA on each flight)

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:30 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,799 Posts
@immelguy - Thanks for the advice. I'll try to dig through the thread again for other tips as well.
@Kawi, Danny_I - I asked this in the battery section as well and I was recommended the: Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A (sells really cheap, not that I'm complaining). So, I'll look for that and your onyx. Hopefully the LHS carries at least one of them otherwise its the online way. I don't understand why I'm ok driving 20 minutes to the LHS but too lazy to click a couple of buttons online. Thanks guys.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
@immelguy - Thanks for the advice. I'll try to dig through the thread again for other tips as well.
@Kawi, Danny_I - I asked this in the battery section as well and I was recommended the: Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A (sells really cheap, not that I'm complaining). So, I'll look for that and your onyx. Hopefully the LHS carries at least one of them otherwise its the online way. I don't understand why I'm ok driving 20 minutes to the LHS but too lazy to click a couple of buttons online. Thanks guys.
Check my review of this charger. The more we use it the more we like it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620709

We bought a booster box at Harbor Freight and that is working out great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...ply-38391.html

We used it several times Monday and a couple others charged thier
batteries and it didn't even phase it. Probably not for huge batteries,
but for the 1200 to 3200 it works fine.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,799 Posts
Thanks Kimber. I probably won't use it now but this should be helpful for the future. It looks good for the field.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,966 Posts
Check out the Thunder Power AC6
$40, has built in AC supply and has external DC input, it's digital and balances, and very easy to use.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
What Bluhammer said +100

This is exactly the charger that I use, I am 100% happy with it.
it stores up to 5 different settings so that you can switch between your usual batteries quickly, but can be programmed to charge and discharge any battery at any rate of charge / discharge.

A great advantage is that you can see how much a battery takes to fill up, which gives you a good picture of your consumption, helping you make decissions about motors, batteries, flight durations etc.

Brgds,

Danny
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,799 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/TP610CACDC.html. The only ones from your suggestions that were at my LHS was the Onyx 235 and the guy at the shop recommended the Thunder Power based on his opinion of it being easier to use.
On a side note, I am having a tough time finding batteries with the SuperTigre connector that the stock battery has. I am planning to cut out the battery connector, use the connector to make an EC3-SuperTigre adapter (for the plane) and put an EC3 on the battery. This way I can hook up the http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1029 I bought as a 2nd battery for the plane. I think I should be ok doing this - any thoughts (barring of course a recheck of the COG)?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi CMDL,

That looks like a good charger that will serve you well.

One word of advice regarding charging batteries at the field;

Because LiPo's are inherently dangerous, and because I don't stand and watch mine while charging what I do if I charge them from the battery of my pickup is use a set of jumper leads to bridge betwen the charger and the pickup's battery.

This way, if the LiPo happens to burst into flame it is not sitting inside my car's hood...

The 2200 battery will make no difference to the COG, I think we all use them. (I have 5 of them)

The nose gear strut, if it is slightly bent backwards, also don't worry about it.
Mine is also a bit bent, it does not affect the roll, steering ability) if your plane tracks reasonably straight I would not worry about it.

Brgds,
Danny
Last edited by Danny_l; Apr 16, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:10 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi CMDL,

That looks like a good charger that will serve you well.

One word of advice regarding charging batteries at the field;

Because LiPo's are inherently dangerous, and because I don't stand and watch mine while charging what I do if I charge them from the battery of my pickup is use a set of jumper leads to bridge betwen the charger and the pickup's battery.

This way, if the LiPo happens to burst into flame it is not sitting inside my car's hood...

The 2200 battery will make no difference to the COG, I think we all use them. (I have 5 of them)

The nose gear strut, if it is slightly bent backwards, also don't worry about it.
Mine is also a bit bent, it does not affect the roll, steering ability) if your plane tracks reasonably straight I would not worry about it.

Brgds,
Danny
Thanks for the advice. Yep, this charger is pretty neat with memory etc. Charged yesterday, flew today. Charging again for tomorrow as I type.
Yeah, the COG was still fine. The weight was barely different. Nose gear bent again and I straightened it again - maybe I should stop doing that and leave it alone.
I found that flying in wind makes no difference to the response of this plane. And of course this is where I noticed how much better it flies than the cub. Landings are easier too with the wind although this plane still doesn't find the runway long enough and ends up on the grass when I land it.
Had two rollover landings today leading to a broken prop. Everything else seemed fine but attaching pics in case someone spots something off. And both the LHS I go to don't have the stock prop. Looks like I'll have to go with another one as some people on the thread have done. Suggestions welcome.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi CMDL,

you can use these propellerss, the work great.

1. Parkzone 9.5x7.5 (you will need an adapter for this prop, it is the same adapter used on the Parkzone T28 Trojan)
2. APC 10x7E.

Regarding the landings, please look in this thread, a few pages back I posted some advice on how to improve your landing approach and landings.

Brgds,
Danny
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi CMDL,

you can use these propellerss, the work great.

1. Parkzone 9.5x7.5 (you will need an adapter for this prop, it is the same adapter used on the Parkzone T28 Trojan)
2. APC 10x7E.

Regarding the landings, please look in this thread, a few pages back I posted some advice on how to improve your landing approach and landings.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny, appreciate all the help. I'll look for the Parkzone because I'm planning to have the T28 as my 3rd plane so it works out.
I'll have reading material for the week reviewing the landing tips since now only the Cub gets to go to the field until I go get a prop for the Sensei.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
Don't buy one prop...
I keep two for each of my planes in a box I take to the field.

I've not had to replace on in a long time, but it can save a flying day and it works cheaper to buy a couple instead of making many trips to the LHS...

BTW, the 10x7 turns this plane into a homesick angel. lots of power for take off and when its in the air you never really need more than 60% throttle.

Get used to the Sensei before you try flying the T28. Comparing to the Sensei it is considerably faster when it flies and its response to control input can take you by surprise if you are inexperienced. It also needs to come a bit faster for landings.

Once you are a bit more experienced go for it, you'll love it. (I also have one)

Brgds,
Danny