HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:33 PM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
You know what? The rev 8 kit is for a hexacopter yes? Why did I order the extra upgrade $30? gah!
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
You know what? The rev 8 kit is for a hexacopter yes? Why did I order the extra upgrade $30? gah!
If it makes you feel any better, you did need the upgrade kit for a hexa. The base kit includes enough blocks for 4 arms, but enough mounts to allow Y6 and X8. The hexa upgrade adds enough blocks for two more arms, and the octo adds blocks for 4 more arms.

As for the customs charge, this is the first time anyone in Canada has mentioned it, and I've sent a bunch of stuff to Canada. Is this something new, or perhaps something that's just randomly charged? I've heard that some countries only process about 1 out of 10 packages for customs charges, so there's some luck involved.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
I dunno, I've ordered piles from the US, maybe it was fishy to someone and they decided to open it? I dunno.

Good to hear on the extra boom blocks. I'm pumped to get it together. Is there a manual online or somewhere?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Quote:
I dunno, I've ordered piles from the US, maybe it was fishy to someone and they decided to open it? I dunno.

Good to hear on the extra boom blocks. I'm pumped to get it together. Is there a manual online or somewhere?
There's a link at the bottom of the frame page on the shop, but here it is:

http://www.aglhobbiesllc.com/additio...v-8_manual.pdf

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:

uneccessary its pretty straightforward.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
what has the consensus been? to mount as much as possible under to reduce the center of gravity?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
what has the consensus been? to mount as much as possible under to reduce the center of gravity?
So I believe.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:10 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
I had the same question. I was planning on mounting FPV gear on the bottom shelf, power distributions on the shelf just above the arms and the FC/NAV/GPS above that. Should I try to keep everything as low as possible? Or is it a good idea to keep the separate electronic components separated as much as possible? Here's a pic of the center stack (testing out the gopro picture abilities).

pootman
pootman is online now Find More Posts by pootman
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:15 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootman View Post
I had the same question. I was planning on mounting FPV gear on the bottom shelf, power distributions on the shelf just above the arms and the FC/NAV/GPS above that. Should I try to keep everything as low as possible? Or is it a good idea to keep the separate electronic components separated as much as possible? Here's a pic of the center stack (testing out the gopro picture abilities).

pootman
which gimbal is that?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:16 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
does anyone mount the ESCs on the lower level and run extended motor wires through the tubing to the motors for a cleaner look?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:26 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
747 Posts
That's PhotoShipOne's mkTR mount. I've never used it, so I'm hoping it'll provide good results. As for the extended motor wires, I'm using Avroto 2814 motors which came with long wires. I ran the wires through the tubes, but I'm a little worried about rubbing issues where they enter and exit the tube. I did sand each tube end as smooth as I can. I may run some silicone on the ends with the wires centered to keep them from rubbing.
pootman is online now Find More Posts by pootman
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:08 AM
Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
613 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty pissed actually, not because of you Russ, but the Canadian Border Agency dinged me with a $30 bill on the kit for pete sakes.
I did not get charged by Canada Customs for my frame and extras.

I have been charged on a few items over the years. I think they pick on a parcel every once in a while. Kind of a gamble of sorts.

I did dispute the charges one time and they refunded my money. They had valued the items about 10X more than I had paid.

kevin
Hunter850 is offline Find More Posts by Hunter850
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:38 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Quote:
The ideal situation is probably to have the CG in the exact center of the frame, and vertically located at the level of the props. If you have the CG at that point, then the copter could be at any angle, and the weight would have no tendency to make the copter bank or roll.

It's common to think that putting weight low on the craft is better, because it will help it stay level. I would agree, but only when the copter IS level, and often it's not. For example, when moving in any direction, the copter is banked that direction. Even when holding in one spot, it will only be exactly level when there's no wind. Any time the copter isn't perfectly level, the weight will be fighting the control system.

The reality seems to be that it doesn't matter that much as long as it's not an extreme imbalance.

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter850 View Post
I did not get charged by Canada Customs for my frame and extras.

I have been charged on a few items over the years. I think they pick on a parcel every once in a while. Kind of a gamble of sorts.

I did dispute the charges one time and they refunded my money. They had valued the items about 10X more than I had paid.

kevin
I am planning on challenging the $30 charge for sure.

Hunter: Have you done any commercial AP in NS with Transport Canada's SFOC's?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:36 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
$30 charge is nothing I bought MK hexa XL frame + some parts (nylon screws, etc) from MK.de with shipping fee around 287 euro (~414 USD), I just got billed for 198 USD for the import duty. Doh!
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt