HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:19 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Help!
castle creation 80amp esc pulses at full throttle

so i have me a new 80amp phoenix, on a 5S setup, at full throttle, the esc light pulses orange and power of the motor stutters, feels like something holding back from releasing its full power, i had an older phoenix 80 with the red sticker and it was fine, anyone know what the problem is? thanks
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
return the 80 amp phoenix if you can and get an ice 75 or 100 and you will still come out ahead with cash in the pocket.

I've seen/heard alot of phoenixes doing this.

a couple things.

you may have the over amp setting a bit too sensitive
or your 5s pack is not up to snuff.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
return the 80 amp phoenix if you can and get an ice 75 or 100 and you will still come out ahead with cash in the pocket.

I've seen/heard alot of phoenixes doing this.

a couple things.

you may have the over amp setting a bit too sensitive
or your 5s pack is not up to snuff.
i would have to agree with you, this is my 3rd pheonix that has given me issues, i have 10 other turnigy ESC's and they are all rock solid.

my 5S pack is brand new, i also tried on a brand new 4S pack and same thing....i will check the amp setting, or maybe call castle and see what the problem is, the plane flies fine, but light on the ESC flashes and at full throttle the motor seems to be hesitating , still fast but i feel a little power is being lost...strange, i have fiddle with the timing, high, mid and low to no avail
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:31 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,346 Posts
Why not take a look in the Castle Creations forum here?

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:46 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,925 Posts
How much current is it drawing and what is the voltage when that happens?

It sounds like it could be either the current limiting protection or the low voltage cutoff kicking in.

I have two P-80, not very new, and they do what you describe when I have the setting that tell them to do that. The pulsing is the soft cutoff for voltage and over current protection.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
How much current is it drawing and what is the voltage when that happens?

It sounds like it could be either the current limiting protection or the low voltage cutoff kicking in.

I have two P-80, not very new, and they do what you describe when I have the setting that tell them to do that. The pulsing is the soft cutoff for voltage and over current protection.

Jack
thanks so much for the help, it actually was the voltage cutoff, i had it set to 3.5 per cell so took it to 3.3 and it all works great, its strange because my other 80amp phoenix same setup on 3.5vcutoff never did this, so i assumed, but all works great, thanks again for your help and everyone else above that helped.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,925 Posts
That's good to hear.

I use my P-80 mostly on A123 packs so I have the cutoff set to 2.5V per cell or so for those. But I do it by setting a custom setting and making the pack voltage cutoff be 2.5V x cell count. So for a 4S A123 I get a cutoff when the pack drops to 10V.

It is coincidental but when I do that I can also fly on 3S LiPO with some of my planes and then I get a 3.3V per cell cutoff for the LiPOs.

In either case, when/if I see the motor pulsing I know I can back off on the throttle and still have some time left to land before the voltage drops to the cutoff again.

The programming features on the CC ESCs is hard to beat sometimes.

Jack
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
That's good to hear.

I use my P-80 mostly on A123 packs so I have the cutoff set to 2.5V per cell or so for those. But I do it by setting a custom setting and making the pack voltage cutoff be 2.5V x cell count. So for a 4S A123 I get a cutoff when the pack drops to 10V.

It is coincidental but when I do that I can also fly on 3S LiPO with some of my planes and then I get a 3.3V per cell cutoff for the LiPOs.

In either case, when/if I see the motor pulsing I know I can back off on the throttle and still have some time left to land before the voltage drops to the cutoff again.

The programming features on the CC ESCs is hard to beat sometimes.

Jack
so you use A123 on your planes?
ya CC has wicked awesome programming features, but at the same time i like to keep things simple and tothe point, my 80 Turnigy has never ever given me any issues, works just as good if not better then CC ESC's for the fraction of the price, i dont know CC is just to overpriced but still love their products.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:38 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,925 Posts
I have both 1100 and 2300 mAh packs and have planes that have enough space and power that I can use either. Because of the lower starting voltage (3.4V charged and rested) on A123 cells I use a 4S A123 anywhere that a 3S LiPO would work. And in the end it works out about the same as far as power and flight duration.

The plan3es that can use either are planes that fly at about 25-30 oz./700-850 grams or so.

The cheap Chinese ESCs have gotten better but they are still a long ways away from CC as far as the support, warranty service, firmware upgrades, and areas like that. I feel that I am getting more value for what I pay.

Jack
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:04 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
I have both 1100 and 2300 mAh packs and have planes that have enough space and power that I can use either. Because of the lower starting voltage (3.4V charged and rested) on A123 cells I use a 4S A123 anywhere that a 3S LiPO would work. And in the end it works out about the same as far as power and flight duration.

The plan3es that can use either are planes that fly at about 25-30 oz./700-850 grams or so.

The cheap Chinese ESCs have gotten better but they are still a long ways away from CC as far as the support, warranty service, firmware upgrades, and areas like that. I feel that I am getting more value for what I pay.

Jack
sweet, ya never got into 123's cause of their weight and price but im sure i will sometime in teh future for the right application.

i do agree in terms of support, warranty, service and firmware, chinese ESC's are far from it, but functionality wise, its an even race i believe, from its microprocessors to its signal interference etc. i love them,,,anyhow, im off to flying my new wing on a 5S now that it does nto cut off lol