SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
18 Posts
Discussion
Still Looking

I have been trying to pick the right heli to move up to for about a month, I've had the Syma S107G, Blade CX2, and I've been practicing on the new Phoenix V3 Flight Simulator and have gotten pretty good with Blade SR CP on it. Should I skip the smaller Blade FP helis like the 120 SR and get the Blade SR or should I get the 120 SR or is there something else I should look into. I want something I can SEE and fly outdoors. PLEASE ADVISE
lightning47 is offline Find More Posts by lightning47
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
Wrong forum, this is Large Electric helis. A 120 is most definitely a micro, try there.
jhoyda is offline Find More Posts by jhoyda
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoyda View Post
Wrong forum, this is Large Electric helis. A 120 is most definitely a micro, try there.
True, but maybe fate has come into play here, as he will find that the cost to get a good 550 size electric heli (like the Century Swift NX on a 4S power system) into the air would be about the same as it is to get a decent 450 size heli into the air.

Then he would find that these bigger ones are much easier to see in the air and to fly, so they crash a lot less, so his cost of learning will be about the same or less, but he will have spent more time flying then repairing.

He would also then have a radio system, including servos etc. that could probably take him into even bigger helis later.

And when he want to move out of training and into more demanding flight all he would have to do is change the pinion on the motor and go to 5S or 6S packs.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:49 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Dec 2009
342 Posts
What kind of price range are you working with?? Have you checked out RC Aerodynes line of Chaos Helicopters??

They have 450, 500 and a 600. The 700 will be available very soon too....

You can get the 450 for $300 with everything you need except for e radio and battery....

www.scaleflying.com
PilotPete01 is offline Find More Posts by PilotPete01
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:14 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined May 2010
216 Posts
So hard to say!

Budget is a BIG thing! Heck, if your wallet has no bottom, bigger tends to be more stable (for me). You can "tune" a heli into a trainer without much trouble. Increased size means more money when you crash. Notice I don't say "if" you crash. My answer- The best you can afford, and the most you would be willing to lose.
weimer20 is offline Find More Posts by weimer20
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:38 AM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I would probably skip the 450 and to straight to a 500 size. Its a little more expensive but the stability is worth it. The Gaui 425 basic kit is 75 bucks from rcdumbthumbs and can be stretched to a 550 cheap. Eletronics are what ever you can afford as well as the motor. The Tonic-X Z20 980 KV motor works really nice in min with a 16 tooth pinion and a 20tooth auto rotation gear. It may be plastic but that dupont stuff they use is tough.

ScaleFlying.com has the Chaos line of Trex clones and if the 500 is anything like the 600 then there is another good choice on a budget. And on top of that you don't have to change the gearing.

Just a note I built and stretched my hurricane for roughly the same price that I bought the Chaos 600 super combo for. I have to tell you that the 600 is one impressive bird. With that being said the cost of a crash of a larger heli is much more expensive than a crash of a 450. That being said its up to what you think your budget will allow.
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1