HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:32 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Go for the 550 motor as I've tried a 540 and they don't have the pull like the 550. Maybe on a 3s but that's just defeating the purpose. As you said the gyro would need separate power of some kind. Maybe voltage regulation might work. Not into it, wouldn't know.
If you can score a 4800 kv one go for it. The 4200 is still plenty but like you say too much is never enough ha ha.
Yeah mate i will have to have a look around for a 550 combo, are the stock motors 4 pole?
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Yeah mate i will have to have a look around for a 550 combo, are the stock motors 4 pole?
No I don't think so TJ. Chris N said he was using a Tenshock 5200kv 4 pole motor geared with a 13 and it was hauling. I know the std 4200 will pull a 13 well and also the 4800 is a handful on the track geared with a 13 so really comes down to dollars maybe. Let me know how much the Tenshock is, might consider one for insanity. I think you'd need a different speedo for the 4 pole. Not really up with it as I used to race nitro buggies. I'm happy with the 4200 geared at 12 for track work and even that can catch you out with unexpected wheelies etc. I looked at motors and speedos from LHS and the combo was nearly as much as a VMX at the time. I just bought another VMX instead for parts. Got spare radio speedo motor and every part. Maybe see if you can find any still floating around new.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:31 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,779 Posts
Quote:
No I don't think so TJ. Chris N said he was using a Tenshock 5200kv 4 pole motor geared with a 13 and it was hauling. I know the std 4200 will pull a 13 well and also the 4800 is a handful on the track geared with a 13 so really comes down to dollars maybe. Let me know how much the Tenshock is, might consider one for insanity. I think you'd need a different speedo for the 4 pole. Not really up with it as I used to race nitro buggies. I'm happy with the 4200 geared at 12 for track work and even that can catch you out with unexpected wheelies etc. I looked at motors and speedos from LHS and the combo was nearly as much as a VMX at the time. I just bought another VMX instead for parts. Got spare radio speedo motor and every part. Maybe see if you can find any still floating around new.
I will probably go the 4800 & also get a tenshock 5200 as well, do you know if Chris was using the stock esc with the tenshock motor, i am still learning the electric stuff myself
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,632 Posts
Quote:
I will probably go the 4800 & also get a tenshock 5200 as well, do you know if Chris was using the stock esc with the tenshock motor, i am still learning the electric stuff myself
Sorry TJ no idea. Maybe someone with electric experience can answer that one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,760 Posts
I thought the stock was 2 poles, but its not even that, its 1 and Chris was testing an unreleased 100A esc. If you go the tenshock route there is sensored and sensorless, so make sure you see details. You will need to upgrade to bigger amp esc like 120a and depending on motors you pick it will need to be either sensored, sensorless, or both. With a bigger motor you'll never need 3s with those. Btw, I forgot you asked about motor diameter. I'll try to get that later. Chris N has a few other posts about those tenshock motors, just search this forum for that motor name as I have asked him a few questions. I would love to upgrade to those motors but maybe next year.

Here you go TJ... (PAGE 204)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
LOL...nice,

Im not sure of the difference between them I used the SC411 5200kv and 3500kv in testing so far. Besides color Im not sure of the specs yet but at a glance I see there is no sensor plug so it may be non-sensored vs sensored?

The 100A ESC Im using will be an update to the 80A ESC, no other word on this yet.

The only mod is to open up the motor plate slot for the shaft to allow the pinion gear to pass through.

The stock motor is a single pole. More poles (pole = magnets) the more torque the rotor will have. For the same rotor diameter if one is a 4 pole and the other is a single the 4 pole will have more torque. The 4 pole rotors cost much more to make due to complexity and materials.
The stock motor is 4200kv so for comparison I took a 3500kv SC411 and put a larger pinion gear on it. The math suggests the rear wheel RPM will be slightly higher than the stock motor and stock pinion gear for the same voltage. That means the motor has more torque to handle the same vehicle load with a larger pinion gear than stock to reach basically the same speed. So I tried the other extreme and ran the 5200kv motor to push the amp load further, no problem.
I would suggest if anyone tries this to use the motor with the sensor cable on another ESC that is sensored. The non-sensored 80A ESC we sell can handle this motor but the bottom end is not smooth, or as smooth as you would like. If you have a good sensored ESC from Tekin or LRP then it would be a better match. The 80A ESC has a harder time with the 4 pole rotor and picking up the timing but it does run it. So basically take this as a motor report update rather than a recommended set up tip.

Its like Dungey going from a 250 2 stroke to a 450. The torque is just on tap and spread further out in the power range. The stock motor has to rev up to make torque and then falls off quickly compared to the 4 pole motor. With 5200kv you have the best of both worlds, torque and RPM.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
I thought the stock was 2 poles, but its not even that, its 1 and Chris was testing an unreleased 100A esc. If you go the tenshock route there is sensored and sensorless, so make sure you see details. You will need to upgrade to bigger amp esc like 120a and depending on motors you pick it will need to be either sensored, sensorless, or both. With a bigger motor you'll never need 3s with those. Btw, I forgot you asked about motor diameter. I'll try to get that later. Chris N has a few other posts about those tenshock motors, just search this forum for that motor name as I have asked him a few questions. I would love to upgrade to those motors but maybe next year.

Here you go TJ... (PAGE 204)
Thanks John, i just purchased a venom 4800kv & tenshock 5200kv on ebay from a seller here in Aust, there you go Chris if you want one & they are pretty cheap as well http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160837346...84.m1497.l2649 & i am going to get my pinions 5mm bore for the tenshock & 3.17 bore for the venom motor from here http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...on.html#.8-mod All i need to find now is a venom esc for the 4800kv & i have a 100amp esc i will try with the tenshock when i eventually get it up & running, hey Chris you have a 100 of these bikes lol do you have any spare venom esc's you want to sell.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:53 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,760 Posts
Depending on the tenshock motor you got, if its sensorless, you should be able to try the 100a and use it for all your motors, otherwise get a 120a that handles both sensored and sensorless and your set!

I just noticed that there are no more inexpensive VMX450 being sold on ebay, so that bulk stock that gonitrohobbies was selling has run out. If Atomik was waiting for those bikes to go away, its done, so they should start selling those egyro kits. :/
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Last edited by JohnnyMc; Oct 11, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,779 Posts
I got the sensorless tenshock he did not have the sensored version, the 100amp esc i have will do sensored or sensorless but i like how the venom esc is waterproof not that i am planning on running through water but for just in case i hit water by accident which i have sunk the arx in a big puddle before lucky it was nitro, i probably will just use the 100amp.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,337 Posts
To water/splash proof your ESC or any electronics buy a spray can of Conformal Silicone for electronics.
Take your case off and apply two coats to the circuit board per side and let it dry for a day. This is specially formulated for electronics and will protect them from moisture.

Do not use potting epoxy or similar because it shrinks and can damage the circuit board.

This silicone is what I used many times to test electronics around water and its been put into production by many ESC vendors.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,632 Posts
Quote:
Thanks John, i just purchased a venom 4800kv & tenshock 5200kv on ebay from a seller here in Aust, there you go Chris if you want one & they are pretty cheap as well http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160837346...84.m1497.l2649 & i am going to get my pinions 5mm bore for the tenshock & 3.17 bore for the venom motor from here http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...on.html#.8-mod All i need to find now is a venom esc for the 4800kv & i have a 100amp esc i will try with the tenshock when i eventually get it up & running, hey Chris you have a 100 of these bikes lol do you have any spare venom esc's you want to sell.
Thanks TJ, I noticed that they are 540 size. Obviously they went all right eh Chris? Yea just use the one speedo for everything.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:05 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,779 Posts
Quote:
To water/splash proof your ESC or any electronics buy a spray can of Conformal Silicone for electronics.
Take your case off and apply two coats to the circuit board per side and let it dry for a day. This is specially formulated for electronics and will protect them from moisture.

Do not use potting epoxy or similar because it shrinks and can damage the circuit board.

This silicone is what I used many times to test electronics around water and its been put into production by many ESC vendors.
Thanks for the tip Chris.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:12 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Thanks TJ, I noticed that they are 540 size. Obviously they went all right eh Chris? Yea just use the one speedo for everything.
They are bigger than 540 size mate they are 63mm long, the same guy sells the venom 4800kv for $30
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:42 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,632 Posts
Quote:
They are bigger than 540 size mate they are 63mm long, the same guy sells the venom 4800kv for $30
Cool thanks TJ. by the way what camera do you use for your vids?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:00 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Cool thanks TJ. by the way what camera do you use for your vids?
My camera is a panasonic HDC-TM10 it is full hd (1920x1080) it is a couple of years old now but any name brand full hd would be good, but just a tip mate you also need a fairly powerful pc to run the hd stuff, i got my camera & then found my old pc was not powerful enough to run it so i had to buy a new pc just to be able to do vids lol a good video editing program is good for more titles & effects & stuff as well, i do enjoy doing vids & trying to make them better all the time it is good fun.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Nice one Chris, I've been looking for a good alternative for waterproofing ever since RS stopped producing their electrical contact cleaner which was so waterproof it could withstand a direct nozzle blast from some serious jet washers!
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury