SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:00 PM
USA, TX, Cypress
Joined Aug 2008
54 Posts
Way back when I was discussing doing a "Texas Theme for the covering, I think it came out damn fine.

I balanced it at the half way point between the CG marks.

The maiden day went so-so. the winds were 10 with gusts to 20. I just couldn't wait any longer. BUT The plane flew perfectly. What didn't go perfectly was the operator..... I grabbed the plane behind the wing, and as I was releasing from a Olympic style javelin launch; all HELL broke loose. The canopy flew off, the plane popped off the high start at 60 feet up, and was responding weirdly.

Seems the rear rubber band dowel didn't want to be where it was, and pulled completely thru the upper longerons and split the sheeting and basically tried to tear the plane in half.

When I got it home, easy fix with 5 minute epoxy and new covering... I also added a couple of small 1/16 ply reinforcements to the outside of the fuse for the dowel..

The most interesting thing of the event: THIS WING IS STRONG. When it came in to land from the broken fuse... it caught a wing tip and spun around. No harm no foul.... till the next morning when I discovered the steel wing rod was bend 5 degrees. No damage to the wood, but it did give an interesting polyhedral on one side.
thefishhunter is offline Find More Posts by thefishhunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:13 PM
USA, TX, Cypress
Joined Aug 2008
54 Posts
Today, I had the best day of flying in forever.

When I showed up at the field there were 50+ buzzards hanging around. the wing was dead still, and the thermals were BOOMING.

After a couple more trim flights, I taped a quarter just infront of the tail, and the Marauder seemed to really come into its own. Flew a couple more times and then the Buzzards ALL got up at once. It was fantastic flying with them in the same thermal. UNTIL

I'm guessing one of them had had enough... Took the Balsa B52 outta the air.

Not too bad at the end. just one busted rib and a couple of scrapes/tears in the covering.

Will say one thing... the Marauder coming down from speck height straight at the ground makes a whistle you can hear across a 100 acre pasture....took me a couple of seconds to come to my sences and pull the spoilers but it all worked out in the end.

I'm going flying again tomorrow morning.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:16 PM
USA, TX, Cypress
Joined Aug 2008
54 Posts
Most important

Most important to all this...

Thanks to you all! The information on here was absolutely critical in getting her finished.

And thanks Merrill for a great plane. It's moved to the front of the list for flying. It's just plane fantastic.
(pun intended.)

Chris
Old Aug 01, 2013, 07:22 AM
risoaringclub.org
United States, RI, Providence
Joined Sep 2005
17 Posts
Nice looking bird there, Chris
next time i visit daughter out there, will have to bring the marauder too
'havent had the pleasure of flying with buzzards...yet

yes, the wing is super strong, built per plan, even w/o adding carbon tow
i'm looking forward to getting it onto a winch

i'm still fiddling with spoiler setup; 'switched to a 54 in-oz servo vs the mini originally used
k8zfj is offline Find More Posts by k8zfj
Old Aug 01, 2013, 08:35 AM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,605 Posts
Nice!

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:11 PM
RISC - SCRCC - AMA member
United States, RI, Warwick
Joined Apr 2010
151 Posts
Merrill it would be really great for you to make up an ARF kit, electrified at that. For those of us that would rather fly than build. First thing I'm going to do to my kit when I get to the nose is chop it off. I'm disabled and can't walk out a high start or winch. Motors let me fly the gliders that I love. EBot flew well with a 4 s 2200 lipo, just have to remember how far to push in the battery. Last flight it went up tail heavy and that was all she wrote.....it's still in intensive care.
bluzjamer is offline Find More Posts by bluzjamer
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:41 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
just have to remember how far to push in the battery. Last flight it went up tail heavy and that was all she wrote.....it's still in intensive care.
I have found that you need to put a stop in not to hold the battery in place but to give you something to force you to recognize you have the battery where it needs to be every time.

I use Velcro on My battery's to hold them in place but on the same strip inside the fuselage I have a 1/2" x 1/4" balsa stick with Velcro on it so I can move it as needed to adjust the CG. then all I need to do is put the battery against the stop and press the battery into the correct spot every time.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:14 PM
RISC - SCRCC - AMA member
United States, RI, Warwick
Joined Apr 2010
151 Posts
What do they say about hindsight? I usually put a mark in the bat bay once I get it where I want it. I hadn't flown it since the previous year and should have done a hand toss..... my fault. shouldawouldacoulda..........just glad no one got hurt. This stuff don't happen during the week when I fly alone.
bluzjamer is offline Find More Posts by bluzjamer
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:49 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Nice thread...
ArmCom is offline Find More Posts by ArmCom
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:10 AM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmCom View Post
Nice thread...
If you say so.
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Old Jan 01, 2014, 08:19 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,605 Posts
Took the Marauder Stars & Stripes put today. I haven't flown it in almost 2 years. Just like flying a old friend. Had a blast flying the New Years Day Postal contest. The best I could do was 30:07 min. Just not a boomer day here in CA.

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL