Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by taildragger1589
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
Build Log
HobbyKing's Stinson Reliant

This will be a slow build thread for an ARF due to the owner's limited time.
But it could probably be ready to fly in a couple of days if you hurry.

This ARF from HobbyKing is their 85" span Stinson reliant, recommended engine is 26 - 35cc.
We'll be using our faithful Super Tigre S2000 we've had since 1989, can't wear it out.

It came in a plain box, a *really big* plain box. and at the time the price was $225, but recently went up to $265 from the US East Coast warehouse.

Here are the pics out of the box and the owner putting it together with tape to see what she'll look like while faithful Scarlette looks on.
Regrettably, I left the cowl out of the first pic. It is a very thick fiberglass cowl, clean and well done.
the covering was tight and neat out of the box, it looks high quality and a few things have changed since it's release a few years back.
For one it comes with a PDF manual CD. also, the landing gear is a little more curved.

but for now here are the first set of pics:
taildragger1589 is online now Find More Posts by taildragger1589
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:58 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
Started out with a pack (+2) Dubro quarter scale hinges. the kit came with the CA type hinges and Rock wanted something stronger.
We had to deepen the hinge slots to take them, and had to cut a new slot in the middle of the ailerons, they were cut for four hinges and we only used three.

We coated the hinge pin section with vasoline and then put in the hinges with 30 minute epoxy.
After 40 minutes we scraped the excess epoxy off with an xacto and then leaned it all against the wall to fully cure.

Old Mar 15, 2015, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by ninja-rhyno
Joined Jan 2009
19 Posts
Wing strut holes

Hi great to see someone else building this beast. Have you found the wing strut fixings in the wing yet ??
ninja-rhyno is online now Find More Posts by ninja-rhyno
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:41 AM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
No, but we haven't looked yet.
Rock is a mechanic in a francise repair shop and often comes home too tired to work on it.

(and I'm supposed to let him do it.
Not too hard since I'm still building the 82" Stampe biplane I started back in August, we had one back in '89 when Rock was 12 and it had the Super Tigre on it.)
Here's the build thread on it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2228836

The fit and the finish of the kit is really good though.
Even though the price just jumped to $265, it's still way below most giant arfs!

What hooked me was the youtube vids of it flying, seems gentle yet responsive.

(and Rock's been dying to put the old super tigre back in action again)
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by ninja-rhyno
Joined Jan 2009
19 Posts
Sounds good. I finaly found them i'll get measurements for you if you struggle to find them
ninja-rhyno is online now Find More Posts by ninja-rhyno
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:14 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
Thanks, but I don't think I'll need it.
I found a build thread from a while back, the guy didn't finish the thread so I don't know if it flew or not, but there are some helpful pics.
One is of the aileron servo cutout.

http://www.teamflyingcircus.com/foru...ead.php?t=6797
Old Mar 20, 2015, 04:23 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
Rock pinned all of the hinges and I gathered all of control horns (the fancy threaded type) and sorted the screws since the rudder, elevator and ailerons have different length screws.
After mounting all of the horns, we put in the elevator servos and ran the 24" extensions down the upper rear fuselage.
I hooked them up and centered the servo arms and noticed that up elevator made the arms go in different directions, no problem, I plugged one into elevator and the other in the aux plugs of the rx then on the tx I mixed elevator into aux with the mix on all the time.

Then we mounted the engine using a ninety degree angle to mark the firewall centerline and drilled for the mounting bolts.
After mounting the engine to pull the blind nuts tight into the back side of the firewall, we drilled holes for the throttle pushrod, fuel line and overflow tubes.
Then I removed the engine and gave the firewall a nice coat of slow epoxy to fuel proof it and set the cowl mount blocks in position.

Now we'll let it all cure.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 03:14 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
This airplane was to be the first we've had with a detachable elevator/stab.
the mounting tabs can be seen beneath the stab. As luck would have it, when I was putting in the fourth screw, it went halfway in and stuck. Attempts to remove it made it snap off inside the blind nut.
I had two choices, cut out the opposite side of the fuselage and knock out the blind nut and replace it......... Nahhh! We just slathered the joiner rods with epoxy and slid it on to be a permanent fixture like all of our other ships. If it's not a good idea, the maiden video should be exciting!
Since we didn't want to unscrew the doors (4 screws each!) I mounted 4 magnets to hold them in place. works great.

Then I made a platform with foam rubber and Velcro straps for the 1100 mah life-po battery right inside the door for easy charging. Next I mounted the receiver and satellite on the roof of the cabin since 4 of the 6 servo wires were up there, then mounted the switch on the only place I could find to mount it... on the nose.

Finally I made the engine cut out and mounted the cowling and landing gear. Decided to leave off the pants for the first few trips to the field.
After mounting the cowl, I discovered I had miss measured the length of the S2000 by 1/2"... I had to remove the engine and get some 1/2" standoffs, hence the missing engine in the last pic.

Still looking good though, the elevator is the only real glitch we've had with the kit so far. (knock wood)

We're going to leave off the windows until the pants go on in case we have to do some fiddling in the cockpit. (still haven't put the windows in the Quarter Cub I built in '09)
So all that's left to do (if the standoffs work ok) is to glue and mount the wing struts and modify the engine cutout.

more later,
Nick
Old Mar 22, 2015, 03:36 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja-rhyno View Post
Sounds good. I finaly found them i'll get measurements for you if you struggle to find them
I found the strut holes in the fuselage, but not yet for the wings, measurements would be a big help.

BTW, I'll be using my new favorite brand in servos, the Solar brand from hobbyparts.
The D227 is a digital metal gear with 187 in/oz at 6volts, but it's pretty slow by today's standard at 1/4 second to full deflection. But since I started in '72 when all servos were pretty slow (even my kps 10s) these do fine for anything but 3D.
Not to mention they're only $9.88, They have faster ones for $15.
I've been using them in my Smith miniplane for a year with no probs, and that was after I took them out of my Taube when a brown out resulted in a 200' dive to earth. They're tough.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d227.html
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:55 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
the struts are glued and screwed
the engine standoffs worked fine and put the prop about 3/8" ahead of the cowl.
everything is trimmed and balanced.
CG is about 1/2" ahead of "ideal balance point" of 4.8" but will probably be ok.
had a little scare yesterday, the engine was on the test stand for a final test run before the big day and it was crackling and cutting out after making lots of weird noises and no matter how rich I made it, it ran badly and briefly.
After thinking it over, I leaned it out about 1 turn from where I started and it ran fine!
The big tigres are kinda weird.

So if the weather holds out, tomorrow we'll give it a go.

Nick
Old Mar 24, 2015, 06:39 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
We made the maiden flight today, and despite a couple of problems, it went rather well.
We assembled it at the field and it went together quickly and easily.
After getting the engine fine tuned we taxied it around a little then took to the sky.
A little trimming and it flew nice and smooth despite the wind.

the two problems?
On landing the axle broke right in the middle allowing the wheel to go free (freewheeling )
Later as we took it apart to go home, I noticed the strut screw into the bottom of the wing was missing (???) and after getting the wing off, I heard a rattling sound.
I shook the wing and the blind nut plate (last pic below) shook out.
There was no other damage to the wing and no stunts were done, just level flight.
So I have no idea how the screw came out and the plate came off, the screw was snugged down tight before takeoff.

Hope to get some covering material so I can cut out the bottom of the wing to put it back. (Maybe the other wing too)

Anyway here are the pics and video:
Stinson Maiden flight (2 min 22 sec)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by chyorn
Adam Stallcup
Forsyth Mo
Joined Jan 2008
95 Posts
looking forward to post flight results; I am thinking of getting one of these!

adam
chyorn is offline Find More Posts by chyorn
Old Mar 24, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by chyorn
Adam Stallcup
Forsyth Mo
Joined Jan 2008
95 Posts
question for you:

Is it hard to get to the wing bolts that hold the wing on? I have seen some high wing planes where the bolts are hard to get too, or you have to turn your hand upside down and twist it 180 degrees and feel where the bolt is.
chyorn is offline Find More Posts by chyorn
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:22 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
Rock says that the model flies a lot like his old Eflite Cub 25 (63") will stunt but not hot or twitchy. Also says that the engine is perfect for easy scale flight at 1/2 throttle and flies like a sport stunter at full. The Tigre turns the 16/8 prop at 8000 with a 2400 idle. The engine weighs around 3 lbs so just about any engine you want to use will work if the prop and rpm specs match.

Getting to the wing bolts is not too bad, the bolts are 1" behind the joiner tube which kind of gets in the way, but I had no trouble screwing it down when I put on the right wing by reaching in the left door across the cabin with the plane tilted on it's nose.

Nick

PS. I emailed HobbyKing about the strut plate and axle problem and am waiting for a reply.
We won't be able to fly again till we get parts to repair, and matching covering so I can cut a hole in the bottom of the wing to epoxy the plate back in.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 01:51 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,627 Posts
small update,
I was going to remove the big half of the axle from the landing gear and discovered that it has not broken. It is a two piece axle, the shaft that the wheel rides on screws into the large threaded part that mounts in the LG leg.
I just assumed it broke and never looked that close until this morning when I noticed it just unscrewed!
A little locktite aught to fix it.

Nick