May 03, 2015, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
Idea

This forum needs less posts per thread (Diagram included)

Hi guys, obnoxious new user here... THIS FORUM REALLY NEEDS LESS POSTS PER THREAD.

Why do you say that, Xenharmonic, you ask? Well it's because when a single product thread has 1000 pages it becomes incredibly difficult to search for specifics, or to have a coherent discussion about specifics.
I would like to introduce a concept called Centralization or Decentralization, or COD for short.
See the bottom of the post for a helpful diagram.

Now while these statistics may not be 100% correct, I believe that the current centralized nature of this forum's posting is becoming a problem. When you have new threads all the time, the forum has a sense of vibrancy. Your relationships with other posters are a lot more intimate, truly awesome content its chance to shine (instead of being buried in a sea of pages), and the discussions are a lot more focused.
If you've ever read page 300 of a thread, been interested with what someone was saying and then realised that they might be long dead by now as the latest page is 1200 you know what I mean.

In summary, don't be afraid to take action now!
If we can only make new, active threads, the forum will become a lot more fun and educational.
Join me brothers and sisters, on my quest for the proliferation of data and the rise of forum interactivity. You won't regret it.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2015, 07:44 AM
Kamikaze Ace
Sorry but you can't sell an idea without proof of concept. Suggest you take your idea, create your own site, and prove the concept first.

You are about to find out we are a bunch of hard heads who are quite happy with the forum here, and the way it is.
May 03, 2015, 07:58 AM
Hard heads ?

Hey!, don't forget us angry soft heads, or I will have to write a letter.
May 03, 2015, 08:14 AM
Kamikaze Ace
Ray, #1 we all know they took away your crayons at the home.

And #2, see you've already added to this thread with a post. Now causing me to have to waste my time searching out relevant information about the subject (after I figure out what it was)
May 03, 2015, 08:23 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
I think that the OP is dead right to be honest.
Massive threads are generally a waste of time in terms of actually producing anything constructive or even remotely interesting. Anything that is of any use at all just gets submerged without trace in an endless torrent of chit chat, pointless debate and argument.
May 03, 2015, 08:38 AM
Massive threads (we have a few of them for Spektrum products in the Radios forum) are very helpful. There's this magical feature that appears on the top right corner of the screen named "Search this thread." With a click there, and one or two terms, you are magically transported to the portion of this thread which harbors the answer to your questions.

And if you don't find the answer, then simply typing in a new question will ensure that the next guy can search the same manner and find a reply which answers him.

Just be sure you don't quote trolls.

Andy
May 03, 2015, 09:47 AM
I'll second the search thing. Also, ask the question you can't find the answer to and the same guy who answered it 40 pages back will likely came back and answer for you.

Gord.
May 03, 2015, 10:10 AM
What a waste of a thread here.

The guy just joined & thinks he has already re-invented the wheel

His Mommy should hide the Paper & Crayons
Last edited by Clive66; May 03, 2015 at 11:44 AM.
May 03, 2015, 10:42 AM
No I'm sure he's right. If you want information about a particular subject it shouldn't be gathered in one thread for you to find. It should scattered all over the place in loads of newly created threads.

That way instead of just looking for the information you need you can ask a new question and wait for someone to type all the information out for the umpteenth time just for you. Now isn't that much more entertaining ? At least for the newbies who can't be bothered to search...not necessarily for those who might be answering the questions.

Steve
May 03, 2015, 11:37 AM
I wonder if he's related to Electromagnetic.
May 03, 2015, 02:15 PM
AMA 537620
Most threads are only a handful of posts... The really long ones started 10 years ago are not that many in number.
May 03, 2015, 03:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
Most threads are only a handful of posts... The really long ones started 10 years ago are not that many in number.
Not exactly true. There are huge threads on some fairly new models and on many of the newer radios, like the Spektrum threads Andy mentioned.

However , I agree that search takes care of finding stuff.

Some members are overly militant that all posts about a model or product simply must all be in the main thread.

I think there is no need to be pushy about it, no matter if you prefer lots of smaller threads or one huge thread.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
May 03, 2015, 03:16 PM
characters welcome!
Moving to Site Suggestions/Complaints in 3...2...1...

mw
May 03, 2015, 05:11 PM
Lou
Lou
Wow ... 9 posts and is now uniquely qualified to comment about what is wrong with RCGroups?
May 03, 2015, 05:16 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Anyone interested in a treadmill?

- Roger

Quick Reply