Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by SportPlane
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2015
437 Posts
Discussion
Heavy duty gimble springs for Taranis radio

I have a Taranis Plus radio and would like a firmer gimble feel. I was told that Futaba heavy duty gimble springs will fit in the Taranis radio. I have searched the web and cannot find a store which has Futaba heavy duty gimble springs in stock. Anyone know where I can get a set of three Futaba heavy duty gimble springs?
SportPlane is offline Find More Posts by SportPlane
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2015, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,738 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXAEM7&P=8
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 10, 2015, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2015
437 Posts
Thanks for the link. I gave them my email address so they can notify me when they get more.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by DonA
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
907 Posts
If you go to heavy duty springs on the Taranis you might run into a problem with the spring lever arms bending/flexing and binding if you increase the tension very much. You can get aluminum arms from Aloft Hobbies to replace the plastic ones.

Don
DonA is offline Find More Posts by DonA
Old Feb 10, 2015, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by pecor
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2003
291 Posts
SportPlane sent you a PM
pecor is offline Find More Posts by pecor
Old Feb 15, 2015, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2015
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
If you go to heavy duty springs on the Taranis you might run into a problem with the spring lever arms bending/flexing and binding if you increase the tension very much. You can get aluminum arms from Aloft Hobbies to replace the plastic ones.

Don
Thanks thats good to know. I will ask about them.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2015
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecor View Post
SportPlane sent you a PM
Thanks pecor. I was told that these springs are a little firmer than the Futaba UHD's. I have a set and plan to install them today, but if an aluminum arm upgrade is necessary i will wait.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/tx_spring.htm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
9,555 Posts
b careful on HD springing -- The factory settings and the plastic arm ends etc., are not intended to handle drastically increased springs
I just checked a DX6 Spektrum which has default (factory )setting and medium length stick setting
note the balsa stick fitted over the stick end- -This allows me to lower the tx keeping stick vertially oriented , toward the scales and read pressure required to move the stick - in this case six ounces for full deflection. you can tilt tx sideways ,upside down - and get readings in all directions.
this loading is pretty normal for gimbal designs on JR/ Spektrum etc..
If you double or triple or further increase this load -the plastics could be overloaded
The shorter the stick- the higher the reading will be.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Last edited by richard hanson; Feb 15, 2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
The shorter the stick- the higher the reading will be.
Note that this doesn't mean a short stick puts more strain on the gimbals and springs. Just that your thumb needs to exert more force to move the stick against a given spring tension if the mechanical advantage is reduced.

Interesting to have actual numbers instead of just "I like stiffer springs."
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 15, 2015, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2015
437 Posts
If i can figure out how to shorten the sticks and fit a comfortable thumb knob i would. I think the stock sticks are too long.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 05:43 PM
KC
Find More Posts by KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,754 Posts
The Taranis sticks have two parts. The top and the bottom halves can be separated and the whole assembly can be moved up or down.

Have a look at the picture below. Just hold the bottom portion and twist the top half ccw till it separates.

As for the thumb knob, just google Futaba sticks. These are very common.

KC

Name: gimbal.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 65.0 KB
Description:
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Feb 15, 2015, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
9,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Note that this doesn't mean a short stick puts more strain on the gimbals and springs. Just that your thumb needs to exert more force to move the stick against a given spring tension if the mechanical advantage is reduced.

Interesting to have actual numbers instead of just "I like stiffer springs."
Of course- leverage changes make sticks feel stiffer -or lighter.
I thot the simple setup shown might help someone setting up a different tension
Feel is subjective but unless you have worked with hand controls - the actual pressures involve can be a real surprise.
In an earlier life the machinery I designed had to be operated constantly for a full day and the operator controls had to feel "correct' for any users .
these were simple push controls but triggering pressures had to be such that false starts were not initiated
But hand/finger fatigue was also an issue -- Manual typewriters set the standard for finger pressures over a hundred years ago
On our transmitters - I prefer light pressures- for rapid, small control inputs

simply my own preferrence. on small helies, I would not like high operating pressure
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Last edited by richard hanson; Feb 15, 2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:45 AM
Joined Jan 2015
437 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I did acquire a stronger set of springs from Radio South. Their springs are considerably stronger than the stock springs and give the sticks enough resistance that center is much more noticeable and so is the center along the vertical and horizontal axis. I did see what the concern is with regard to the plastic spring mount points. I think they are fine for the stock springs but could yield with too much pressure applied to them. I put just enough preload on the springs to remove any slop when the sticks are resting at center. Hopefully the extra spring tension will not cause any damage to the spring mount hooks. I would still like to shorten the sticks. Does anyone know if the threaded rod that the chrome knob screws onto can be removed from the gimbal without damaging it. The OEM stick does not have threads all of the way to its base and i would like to replace it with a shorter piece of all thread of the desired length. If i could shorten the stick by about 3/8" or the length of the nureled chrome cylindrical cap i feel this would leave about the right length stick. I do have large hands, but the pads of my hands are larger than my fingers are long and when i am holding the radio and moving the sticks i find that the throw of the sticks is too far in any direction to be comfortable for my reach. The height of the sticks also opens the palm of my hand where i would be gripping the radio giving me less hand contact with the radio. I think adding some friction tape in the right places will help with making the smooth plastic Taranis cabinet more grippable.
Last edited by SportPlane; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
3,408 Posts
I installed the Aloft Hobbies Alloy cross bars and I'm using the so called Futaba "heavy duty" springs. I have the spring tension adjusters adjusted up enough to provide home position tension so the gimbal centers well, but not too much tension at the extremes. This locates the tensioner down a few threads from full tension.

The stick force tension is a bit hard to measure, but the sick starts movement at about two and one half ounces and around six ounces at full. It is difficult to measure so my numbers could be off a bit. I have my gimbal stick extended to the longer length. This makes the stick length and force very close to my Futaba 12FG and 9C radio .

With the stock springs, the stick started to move at less than two ounces.

To strengthen the tension adjusters in the hook area for the stronger springs, I laid down a small piece of 3/4 ounce glass cloth (tight weave) on both sides of the complete hook area starting where it extends from the main body. I hit it with a drop or two of CA and made sure I had good contact. I then carefully trimmed away the cloth around the complete outer edge of the hook piece from the body out to the end making sure the hook slot was open.

After the CA was fully cured I coated the sides where the cloth was and the top and bottom with 30 minute epoxy. I also used silicone grease on both spring eye ends, the cross bar pivot points and where the gimbal pins contact the cross bars.

It looks pretty clean and I think I've added a good bit of strength to the adjuster. I guess I'll know for sure in a few months of use.

Kind of bizarre that with the $21 alloy cross bars, the $205 Taranis Plus has better gimbals than my $1,200 Futaba 12FG. It is a crazy world nowadays!

4/19/2015 Edit: Did some more testing on the stick force and updated the numbers.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Apr 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Hit my smoke....
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,313 Posts
where can I find the highest quality sticks for a "finger flyer"
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46