SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2002, 07:13 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Aerobatics 2 - the Peking Eight

So called because its a cheap rip-off of the venerated Cuban Eight.

Needed - model that can fly through a big Cuban 8 like it's normal. Also needs to be able to snap clean from a relatively low speed, and pretty fast.

Method - fly the first partial inside loop as for a Cuban Eight, but stop a tad short of the usual 45 deg nose down line - 30 deg down works. Perform a positive snap and a half where the Cuban's half aileron roll happens.

Power up and into the second partial inside loop. Repeat the snap and a half on the 30 degree downline coming off that partial inside, exit in level flight as per the Cuban Eight.

Figure should be symmetrical, cross over in front of you, entry and exit at same height, same heading. Works about the same from an upwind or downwind entry.

Guaranteed to confuse wetties who think some electrics can actually climb a little
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2002, 09:17 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Should be easy for me Dereck as my snaps often end up as a snap and a half anyway.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Feb 19, 2002, 01:22 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Dereck

Can light floaty parky aerobats with thick, soft leading edge funfly airfoils do snaps, as my plane can loop it's wings off? My CG is somewhat rearward.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Feb 19, 2002, 07:38 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Looee
Easy way to find out. Get some insurance (about three mistakes high's worth ), wind up to full speed, pull full up hard and into full rudder. If you get nothing beyond aggressive looking barrel rolls, chances are it won't.

I've seen a Todd Long Tiny do some very interesting gyrations that almost certainly included a snap or two, so Parkies sure can do aeros. Shame about it hitting the wall just after, but it looked good for a while.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 19, 2002, 08:34 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,151 Posts
A good variation on the cuban 8/peking 8, assuming you've got enough speed/power to do it really BIG,.. is 1 and a quarter snaps to knife edge on the downline, slight pause, then one and a quarter snaps to upright, repeat on the other downline,.. also,.. you can do 2 points of a 4-point,.. then a full snap. There's LOTS of variations on the cuban. A really fun one,.. that taxes the brain is to do the cuban as basically two square loops (square cuban 8),.. Then add 1/2 roll on each of the 8 "sides",.. then vary it a bit more by making it 1 and a half snaps on each of the eight sides of the square cuban. That takes a lot of rudder work to re-establish the line after each snap, so it takes a while to get it right,.. lotsa fun to work on though.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT