Old Sep 05, 2014, 03:57 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,551 Posts
Question
Shipping cost

Hey All,

I need to ship a Ziroli F4U fiberglass fuse and some goodies to Australia. The box would be 52"x18"x15" and weigh in at around 10 pounds.

Fedex and UPS want around $900 USD. USPS say's it's to big.

Whats the best and cheapest method?

Regards
Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2014, 04:51 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,803 Posts
Call Soaring USA,they will be able to advise
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Sep 05, 2014, 05:20 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Call Soaring USA,they will be able to advise
Hi Larry, ...

Thanks for the response, ... I called, ... with their discount, ... they want $539.00

Whit these import shipping cost for Australians, ... you would think they would have every business know to man kind going to eliminate the need for ANY and ALL imports, ... or the Australian public would DEMAND for it's current cost to change.

Regards
Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Sep 05, 2014, 07:03 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,816 Posts
I sent a 2xAAA flashlight back to China for warranty repairs (a $70 light) and UPS and FedEx wanted over $90 to ship. USPS ended up a bit over $6 for a 1 x 9" cardboard tube.

If that same volume was multiplied to fill the space of your F4U, that'd be a lot of flashlights filling up that huge box!

Out of curiosity, what IS the biggest and/or heaviest that USPS will ship?
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Sep 05, 2014, 07:46 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors View Post
you would think they would have every business know to man kind going to eliminate the need for ANY and ALL imports
I'd imagine getting things in a container are probably more economical on a per item basis.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:25 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,478 Posts
Not sure if TNT can help you or not. Give them a call and see. They are worldwide but I believe they are HQ'd out of Australia.

http://www.tnt.com/express/en_us/site/home.html
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2014, 11:09 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Hi Larry, ...

Thanks for the response, ... I called, ... with their discount, ... they want $539.00

Whit these import shipping cost for Australians, ... you would think they would have every business know to man kind going to eliminate the need for ANY and ALL imports, ... or the Australian public would DEMAND for it's current cost to change.

Regards
Bill
That's not bad. 10 years ago I was paying $560 to ship an A-10 kit, ( 24"X24"X72" and 35 pounds) to Perth via Emory Air Freight.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Sep 05, 2014, 11:36 PM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
92 Posts
Have you tried calling Qantas freight? I spoke to them earlier this year and was quoted just under $200 to ship a slightly larger package than yours (glider) to Australia (Sydney), however, was then told they would only take take packages from the general public at their LAX office. If LA airport is not too inconvenient for you, it could be worth a phone call to check?
os2 is online now Find More Posts by os2
Old Sep 06, 2014, 01:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
272 Posts
That is absolutely phenomenal!

I didn't realise it costs so much to ship things? And yet most of the products you buy will have been shipped from half way round the world already
Stu L is offline Find More Posts by Stu L
Old Sep 06, 2014, 02:50 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
533 Posts
I would think airfreight is always expensive. By sea would be cheaper but of course much slower- you make a choice and pay for that choice.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:50 AM
United States, NJ, Woodstown
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
I've heard of people that are having cars shipped from the US to Australia will sometimes also load up the cars with packages to save on the individual shipping charges.

Might contact a reputable overseas car shipping company and see if this is a possibility.
valkrider is offline Find More Posts by valkrider
Old Sep 06, 2014, 09:51 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu L View Post
That is absolutely phenomenal!

I didn't realise it costs so much to ship things? And yet most of the products you buy will have been shipped from half way round the world already
The thing is, all frequent/big shippers have accounts with companies such as FX and UPS, and receive deep discounts because of their volume. It's then left to the individual shipper to pay the exorbitant "published" rates.

The Qantas idea is one I never considered. Certainly worth a look.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 06, 2014, 09:59 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
I sent a 2xAAA flashlight back to China for warranty repairs (a $70 light) and UPS and FedEx wanted over $90 to ship. USPS ended up a bit over $6 for a 1 x 9" cardboard tube.

If that same volume was multiplied to fill the space of your F4U, that'd be a lot of flashlights filling up that huge box!

Out of curiosity, what IS the biggest and/or heaviest that USPS will ship?
Depends on its destination. A few years ago, I sold a sailplane kit to a guy in Korea. Turns out it was just a shade oversize for what they would ship to Korea (not sure whether its USPS rules, or Korean rules), and the only other option was FX or UPS at several hundred dollars. Had to refund the guy's money, and sold it to a domestic buyer. There was no issue shipping it domestically by USPS.

Rates vary wildly depending on destination as well. I sold a kit to a guy in Slovenia. Not a big kit either, box was under 30" long, around 10 wide and 2 high, and less than 5 lbs. Shipping was over 50 bucks. The same box, if shipped to Sweden, would have cost about 18 bucks.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 07, 2014, 07:54 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
770 Posts
Shipping from US & UK has always been pretty nasty for Australians. Once you get over 40" long the shipping costs go through the roof as it becomes oversize freight & you pay through the nose.

The flip side is shipping from China & Hongkong is peanuts here & fairly fast so long as it doesn't come by Singpost (add 30-40 days).
As for manufacturing in Australia, our illustrious leaders have managed to all but wipe it out with fair trade deals with Asia meaning local business can't compete.

If you go the shipping container route, make sure you pack it well. I have friends in the car import business & lets just say not all containers spend the whole trip the right way up.

Try businesses that ship cars overseas. They are constantly sending stuff to Australia. They may piggyback your package for a smaller fee.
Good luck

Al

Quote:
Hi Larry, ...

Regards
Bill
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Sep 07, 2014, 08:07 AM
United States, NJ, Woodstown
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkrider View Post
I've heard of people that are having cars shipped from the US to Australia will sometimes also load up the cars with packages to save on the individual shipping charges.

Might contact a reputable overseas car shipping company and see if this is a possibility.
Wish I had thought of that...
valkrider is offline Find More Posts by valkrider