HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2004
221 Posts
Discussion
How many flights do you expect in a TD contest?

Most of us might agree there are too many variables to come up with any sort of agreement on this topic. Assuming the weather and equipment are all OK and there are a reasonable number of pilots in the event, in general,
How many flights do you expect to make in a thermal duration contest?
Riserflier is offline Find More Posts by Riserflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:54 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,633 Posts
1 day at least 5. 2 days at least 6 and 4 for a total of 10.
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:22 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,824 Posts
At least 3. Any more would be nice but minimum 3.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 22, 2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
619 Posts
Absolute minimum of three , four would be more fun but I can't remember the last time that happened .
The reason is say four is that it just seems a bit more competitive given the option of throwing out your lowest score and keeping the other three is just more sporting , especially if the results come down to the last flight of the day .
Sunset launch anyone ?
jetmaven is online now Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:39 PM
NWSS_Les
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Wow! In the northwest, we usually would typically get 5-7 rounds the first day, 4-6 the second. A 3 round day would be considered a disaster of a day! Of course, we didn't have 100+ flyers either! (typically about 13-20+, with about half flying multiple classes)
Les Grammer is offline Find More Posts by Les Grammer
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:22 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,824 Posts
Most contests I attend are 5-7 rounds per day but 3 is what I consider minimum.

Ryan
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:04 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,929 Posts
I would really like at least 4, but have to settle for 3 in this area. Of the three round events, I would like at least 30 minutes of flight time in the contest.

Mike l.
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2003
886 Posts
My answer is as much as possible - especially if I am travelling to an event.

I am happy with whatever works out based on the attendance, weather and other factors, but I don't care for events that plan 4 or less rounds a day. I know at the J events I organize I want a minimum of 7 rounds day 1 and 4 the second if we do flyoffs. I always shoot for more...

Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:48 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
I would really like at least 4, but have to settle for 3 in this area. Of the three round events, I would like at least 30 minutes of flight time in the contest.

Mike l.
As would a LOT of the rest of us.
Properly run, the local contests should start and finish at the same time and have 4 rounds in them. Tom Watson and I co-miserate all the time about the 3 rounders here.
If we stick to 3 rounds, a MoM format would be nice, IMO.
To be fair to the local contest, they try to be wrapped up by 1230 (for those that are not in our local area). But, after driving an hour and a half to the contest location (or even an hour one way) 3 rounds is a bit of a let down to me.
R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Aug 23, 2014, 05:04 PM
jjc
Joined Sep 2002
277 Posts
6 rounds, anything less doesn't seem like a fair test. John
jjc is online now Find More Posts by jjc
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:12 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,133 Posts
Our local club typically has to be off the field by 12:30 - 1:00. We ran open winch rounds for years and barely got 3 rounds in. This year we switched to MOM and get 4 rounds easily, and would have had 5 in last contest if we had better up time on the winches.

Bruce
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Aug 23, 2014, 09:53 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,330 Posts
How many contest flights at a TD Contest?

That depends on if it is a club contest or a major event hosted at our field.

I prefer club contests to be 4 rounds, then we have open flying the rest of the day.

If we are hosting, or if I am attending an Eastern Soaring League contest with 20 to 40 pilots, typically 6-8 per day at a TD contest.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 24, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 09:12 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,435 Posts
I don't fly TD, but have flown a lot of F3K and been a CD at an F3J contest. The F3J contest, we arranged for MoM scoring, and flew 4 flight groups through eight rounds a piece the first day, flew three more rounds the second day, and did 4 flights for a fly-off to determine final winners. '

I'd be seriously disappointed if I went to a contest, and only got to fly three times.

I have been approached about competing at next year's SWC in Phoenix. If I only get to fly three flights, I probably won't bother.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 29, 2014, 09:41 AM
Joined Jan 2003
886 Posts
Greg - the usual at SWC TD is 4 or 5 the first day and 3-4 the second day. Exceptions happen due to weather, but usually that is what is accomplished.

Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Old Aug 29, 2014, 09:48 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
I have been approached about competing at next year's SWC in Phoenix. If I only get to fly three flights, I probably won't bother.
Via the magic of the interweb you can make an informed decision.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=118
http://www.rmsadenver.com/SWC2014.htm

You can look at recent prior score sheets and see the # of rounds flown. Last year looks like there was 10 rounds of RES, Woody, 2m, Ales, and Unlimited.

Ryan