HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:09 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,599 Posts
Discussion
Don Dewey's New Era III

I wanted to post some pictures from my Airtronics New Era III kit build. Several years ago someone posted pictures here in the Electric Sport Forum and I ordered some plans from RC Modeler...Many months passed with other projects on the bench and I happened to mention to a friend that said he had a number of kits he would be bringing to our Midwest RC swap shop...I asked if he had a New Era III kit and he said yes! Needless to say that kit didn't make it to the swap shop.

The new Era II was a plans article in RC Modeler back in the 70's and the III is a .19-.25 sized model with a 44.6" wing span and 400 square inches of wing area. As I now fly only electric I planned on doing an electric conversion but keep the build as stock as possible to see how it will turn out.

Fuse: The wood in the kit was pretty good but I ended up replacing the 3/8" x 3" top fuse block and also changed a couple of other items on the fuse. I added a top hatch and also moved the firewall back about 3/8" and fabricated a removable cowl. I also wanted to build it with trike gear. I am using a Heads Up Hobby Speed 25 motor and spaced the motor's x-mount off the firewall with 1/2" x 3/8" hardwood blocks. These are also going to serve as the bearings for the steerable nose gear. I mounted Hitec HS-81's for rudder and elevator behind the wing and also plan on using a 12gr power-Up metal gear servo for nose wheel steering.

Wing: I swapped out the 1/4" Spruce spars for 1/4" hard balsa and also swapped out all the 3/32 wing sheeting for lighter wood. I also deviated from the kit/plans and will use two JR Sport SM-22 servos for ailerons.

The original article in RCM quoted finished weights of 48-56oz for a wing loading of around 18oz/sq ft. With all the parts and pieces my New Era III currently weighs 2 lbs 11oz with all servos, receiver, motor, esc and a 3S3800 lipoly. The top hatch will allow easy access for battery swap outs between flights.

Anyway I wanted to post some pictures of my progress and will post more when covered and finished. I plan on duplicating the original covering scheme with Ultracote. I am sure that Dewey, Cunningham and Willard would love where the hobby has gone with electric, indoor RC, etc....
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:11 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,599 Posts
Here's a few pictures of my New Era III covered. I tried to duplicate the original scheme on the fuse and modified the wing a little. The white, red, and chrome is Ultracote and the black is Monocote.

I sill have to paint the pilot and glue on the canopy and all up weight is 3lbs 2 oz (50oz) This is with a 3S3800 battery. The wing loading works out to 18oz/sq ft and a wing cube load of 10.8.

It looks like a 9X6 OR 9X7.5 APC prop will work, otherwise I will use an 8x8. Need to check the input power once I get the canopy glued on....

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 01:15 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
505 Posts
Great job! I built one back in the early '80s with and OS Max 25 in it. I flew it for 10 years and then retired it. About 6 years ago I gave it to a newbie and I believe it is still flying 30+ years later.

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck
Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:47 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
876 Posts
Nice looking airplane.

I scratch-built a New Era II in the 1970s when I lived in north Ontario. Built it from RCM Plan # 450. Wing span 52 inch. Great little sport model. Powered by a K&B 40. How`s that for memory lane?

New Era III is RCM Plan # 601. Never built that one.

I still have both red&white spiral bound illustrated catalogs, original and supplemental.

Too bad RCM is MIA. They had a great plans service.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Mar 15, 2014, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,599 Posts
Bruce,

I thought this might stir a few memories from the older generations...

Bill,

I actually ordered (and eventually received) RCM's plans about a year and a half back, then my Buddy said he had a new in box kit....

Nice simple designs from RCM that always flew nice too....

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:33 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner View Post
Bruce,

I thought this might stir a few memories from the older generations...

Denny
It sure does. I remember seeing the build article in the June 1975 RCM magazine. Fabulous job on the build Dennis. I'd love to see some flight video of it sometime.

dawg
r/cdawg is online now Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:36 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,599 Posts
Dawg,

I see you also live in Michigan so you will understand that it may still be a while before flying season opens.....I know the road back to our field is usually closed until the end of April and not sure if all the snow might make that worse.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2014, 07:17 AM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner View Post
. . .

Wing: I swapped out the 1/4" Spruce spars for 1/4" hard balsa and also swapped out all the 3/32 wing sheeting for lighter wood. I also deviated from the kit/plans and will use two JR Sport SM-22 servos for ailerons.

. . .
I am wondering if you compared the weight of the balsa vs spruce. It seems to me you gave up a lot of wing strength for little or no weight savings.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Mar 22, 2014, 07:38 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,599 Posts
Mike,

Yes I did weigh the spruce vs the balsa, I can't remember the exact weight but the balsa was half the weight.

The 1/4 hard balsa spars will be fine for this size airplane. With the 3/32 sheeting and 3/32 shear webs ,this is a pretty strong airplane.

I have built a number of plans and self designed electric models at this size and use either 3/16 or 1/4 balsa spars with 1/16 sheeted wings.

I wasn't trying to really cut a lot of weight but tried to trim where able. The top fuse block was super heavy....I am happy to end up at the same weight as original glow model with a 3S3800 battery.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2014, 07:46 AM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
810 Posts
OK, I just took a look at the pictures too, and I see it is almost completely sheeted in balsa, so no worries on strength there. I like this size of plane. If I get the plans I ordered from RCM plans service almost a year ago, I will hazard another small sum of money and get these plans too.

BTW, if they ever catch up to you for breaking Ohm's law, plead "not guilty"; they will never be able to prove you did it.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Mar 22, 2014, 07:56 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,599 Posts
BTW, if they ever catch up to you for breaking Ohm's law, plead "not guilty"; they will never be able to prove you did it. [/QUOTE]

Mike,

I can also claim insanity or loose nut on the transmitter......
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2014, 02:27 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,599 Posts
Well it finally quit raining and the wind stop blowing and I was able to "commit aviation" with my New Era III this morning.

Don Dewey would be proud of the electric conversion of this 70's design. With an APC 9 x 7 1/2 prop I am getting 437 watts in and about 140 watts/pound. I am using a 3S3300 Lipoly.

It boggies along pretty sporty at full throttle. The vertical performance is great and it flies like on rails! If you have one of these old kits or plans laying about...build it you'll like it!

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2014, 04:55 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,410 Posts
Ah, here's the answer to the question I asked in my email.

Congratulations on the maiden.

Sorry I couldn't get out this morning. Had PT at 11. Hope to be joining you soon.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old May 08, 2014, 10:58 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
346 Posts
Very nice build! You should post this in the classic pattern forum as well. I think those guys would enjoy this.
bpink43 is offline Find More Posts by bpink43
Old May 09, 2014, 06:35 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpink43 View Post
Very nice build! You should post this in the classic pattern forum as well. I think those guys would enjoy this.
Thanks for the suggestion, I just created a new thread in classic pattern with a link to this thread.
RCG Plus Member