SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:47 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Cool
TechOne Sbach 342 EPP 900mm sold by Hobby King, Nitroplanes and others

Recently, I decided to try a TechOne Sbach 342 EPP 900mm. I bought my kit from the local Hobby King warehouse in Australia and had it a few days later. I was very impressed with the quality of the kit and the level of completion. I really do not enjoy building planes, as I would much rather just get out there and fly them! This was probably the quickest build I have ever done, so I had it ready to maiden a couple of days after receiving it. A fast builder could probably get it done in a long evening.

I know that there is a TechOne owners thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611780, but I didn't find much discussion of the 900mm Sbach on that thread. There is also a larger 1100mm version of this plane that Hobby King sell, but that can be discussed elsewhere, since I want this thread to focus on the 900mm version that I have and really enjoy flying.

Here are the specs and some photos and other things on the TechOne website: http://www.techonehobby.com/proinfo.php?kid=1&pid=77

Here is the plane on Hobby King's website: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_KIT_.html

Here is the plane on Nitroplanes' website:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-sbach342-900mm-arf.html

Here is my favourite video of the Sbach 900mm. This video really convinced me to get one!!!

2013 1/9  Techone Sbach 342 EPP モーター付き (1 min 5 sec)
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Dec 30, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:54 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Here's a Hobbyking team pilot video showing more all-round flying, but it doesn't show any upright harriers.

HobbyKing 3D - Michael Wargo flies the Sbach 342 EPP 3D Airplane (5 min 16 sec)

Nac and I got some video today of my Sbach, but it was quite windy. Even so, it shows what the plane is capable of. I made a particular point of doing some upright harriers, since I had looked at at least half a dozen videos before deciding to buy one and I hadn't seen anyone demonstrate upright harriers. I'll post the video when I have time.
Last edited by groovejet; Dec 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:53 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Dec 2013
302 Posts
Looks like a really nice plane! What setup did you go for? Battery, motor, prop etc. Might look into getting one.
russgt is online now Find More Posts by russgt
Old Dec 24, 2013, 02:31 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Well, I have seen it fly a few times now. Its super agile and seems to fly like a much bigger plane.

I have ordered one
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Dec 24, 2013, 04:21 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Hi russgt. It's a fantastic little plane. I'm having an absolute blast flying it! As nac mentioned, it is very agile and it does feel to me like a larger plane, despite it weighing around 600g.

I'm using the following gear:
- Scorpion S2 2215-1127kV motor
- GWS 10x6 prop
- Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
- Turnigy 113MG servos

I had a few spare 40A ESCs already soldered up ready for use, so I used one in this plane. I could've used a 25A or 30A ESC....... if I had one.

A few years ago I used to run Scorpion S1 2215-18 motors with GWS 10x6 props and they ran great. I assumed that the motor I am using in this plane was a direct replacement, so I used the same 10x6 prop. I just checked thrust charts and discovered that the S2 motor seems to be much higher in kV than the claimed kV, so the next time I flew my Sbach I will prop down to a GWS 9x5 prop. I will lose a small amount of thrust that I probably won't notice (since the 10x6 prop was driving the motor very hard), but it will reduce the motor temperature quite significantly, which I should notice.

Here's a video of my Sbach in windy conditions today. Nac did a great job filming the Sbach as it zoomed around the sky .

TechOne Sbach 342 EPP 900mm - Tearing up the sky on a windy day (2 min 50 sec)
Last edited by groovejet; Dec 27, 2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Added a link to Youtube and removed a link to Vimeo
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:02 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Aug 2007
68 Posts
Thanks for starting the new thread! I have one on my workbench that I purchased from Nitroplanes. I purchased the ARF with motor, esc, and servos. It will replace my old OMP Extra stiffy which is falling apart.

I opened the kit last night and I am impressed with the kit. I hope to work on it during the kids nap the next few days. It should not take longer than 3 hours to build.

Chris
qspilotcmh is online now Find More Posts by qspilotcmh
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:53 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Hi Chris. It's funny that you mentioned your Extra Stiffy. I used to have an Extra Stiffy loved it! The only reason I sold it is because I moved up to larger planes, but now I am buying a few smaller planes again.........

The TechOne Sbach reminds me of the Extra Stiffy in terms of the very fast rolls and the crisp and precise flight feel. The Sbach does feel less floaty though; similar weight but less wing area. That suits me fine personally.

I am confident that you will really enjoy this Sbach plane; I certainly do!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Dec 2013
302 Posts
Incredible flying!!! Amazing!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 03:06 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Thanks russgt.

Guys,
I am currently changing from using Vimeo to host my videos to using Youtube instead. I reworked the video in a few subtle ways and uploaded it to Youtube. The link in one of my previous posts now points to Youtube. I will now remove the Vimeo version of this video.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:58 AM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Sep 2012
172 Posts
yay i finaly got the cg cloce for nutral flight inverted and not. best cg is 125mm from the leading edge of the wing. surprising that i had to cut the batt an inch into the wing and move the esc way back out of the slot to balance the 70g motor. there is still a bit of pitch coupling on knife edge so it is not perfect but....

edited 125mm not 115
mattnat is online now Find More Posts by mattnat
Last edited by mattnat; Dec 28, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:26 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
mattnat, it sounds like you are enjoying this plane more. I flew mine today and had an absolute blast! my mate nac and I were giggling like schoolgirls at some of the aggressive tricks this plane can do. Currently my Sbach is just slightly nose-heavy and I am really happy with how it flies. The motor mount came loose on one side of the fuselage after a heavy landing that broke a prop. I noticed that something was wrong when the plane suddenly had a lot of left yaw and eventually I noticed that the motor mount was loose on the right-hand side and therefore the mtor could move to the left under high power. I've secured it with some epoxy, so I will now be slightly more nose-heavy. I'll see how it flies and consider adjusting my CoG if it seems too nose-heavy.

Here are some pics from today.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:00 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Dec 2013
302 Posts
Which of those planes do you think is best to learn 3d on? Great pics btw! Like your car too!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russgt View Post
Which of those planes do you think is best to learn 3d on? Great pics btw! Like your car too!
Thanks russgt .

I think that the Sbach is less user-friendly for 3D, so is better-suited to more experienced 3D pilots. I think the Sbach would be fine for aerobatic pilots with good skills that were starting to explore 3D at higher altitudes to give sufficient room to recover. Having said that, it is likely to be very durable and easy to repair, so don't rule it out for learning 3D. There are some comments on the product at Hobby King that say some people have used it successfully to learn 3D.

I find that the WM MX2 is easier to fly and is easier to manage at low flying speeds (the Sbach is relatively heavy for its wing area and so the Sbach prefers to do things with more speed). The WM MX2 is almost entirely made of solid EPP foam (it also has some wood and Depron in some areas), so if you break it, it should be very easy to fix it.

The Future Model Yak provides more flexibility to get the correct CoG using gear of different weights; in general with the WM MX2 you need to use heavier gear or do some mods). The Future Model Yak is a really nice flyer with a stiffer airframe than the WM MX2, but that stiffness comes from the use of more wood and an EPS core under the EPP skin of the fuselage and main wing. If you broke it, it may be trickier to repair. The Future Model Yak is perhaps a bit more refined in flight characteristics than the WM MX2, but it currently is more difficult to obtain.

All 3 of these planes have pros and cons. The mostly all-EPP construction of the WM MX2 means that repairs should be easy, but it is also the heaviest. The simplicity of repairing the TechOne Sbach 900mm probably isn't far behind and its lighter weight will help reduce damage when it is crashed. The Future Model Yak is a good alternative but will cost more than the somewhat similar WM MX2 due to needing to source the Yak from overseas. I'll leave it up to you to weigh up the pros and cons that I have mentioned to apply them to your current level of flying experience.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:38 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Aug 2007
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Hi Chris. It's funny that you mentioned your Extra Stiffy. I used to have an Extra Stiffy loved it! The only reason I sold it is because I moved up to larger planes, but now I am buying a few smaller planes again.........

The TechOne Sbach reminds me of the Extra Stiffy in terms of the very fast rolls and the crisp and precise flight feel. The Sbach does feel less floaty though; similar weight but less wing area. That suits me fine personally.

I am confident that you will really enjoy this Sbach plane; I certainly do!
Yes I love my extra! It's a shame the entire airframe laminate is separating. . I still fly it but it's getting pretty sloppy.

The Sbach has much less wing area than the stiffy. I hope to have mine flying this weekend.
qspilotcmh is online now Find More Posts by qspilotcmh
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:40 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
517 Posts
Groovejet's vid pretty much sold me on this plane

Ive just pulled the trigger & bought one from HobbyKing.
I fly the HK Reaktor when I can, a fantstic plane, but is just too light & flimsy to fly in wind. Its usually windy here, so needed something good in wind & perhaps less floaty.
Im very crashy so the EPP Sbach will hopefully be crash resistant (please)

Any build hints ? Strengthening needed? Recommended servos? all 9g HXT900 or should I use a 5g in the tail to keep tail weight down ? Are Metal Gear servos needed or just additional weight ?
Should I put a ply brace on the motor mount, my past profile EPP's seemed to break the motor mount away quite easily.
Recommended motor power KV & weight ?? I'll see if I allready have something suitable. Im trying to avoid those orange Turnigy HKing motors, the shafts seem to bend too easily.

Cheers
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101