Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,369 Posts
PhilLin,
Scroll down the page to All flying stabilizers part 1

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/f...ols-on-rc-jets
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Oct 13, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
CTBL, thanks for the link. It looks like it has a spreadsheet for convenient calc of air load. I'll check it out at a later date.

I did a rough calc on the tail plane load. Each tail plane is ca. 107 sq-in. At 120 mph & a max CL of 1.0, each panel would give ca. 27.5 lbs.

Assuming air load CP @30% chord & pivot spindle at 13%, I can expect about 60 oz-in of torque. So 100 oz-in max?

I posted my episode of a tail spindle slipping on my JHH F-4; the test I did to proof the fix, where I static loaded the tail plane to ca. 150 ozs-in w/out fail. I think I can safely use a similar pivot brg design & servo link. It is a fairly simple & inexpensive route (thank you, Larry Wolfe).

Phil
PhilLin is online now Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Oct 13, 2013, 03:33 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I think P901 did some calc's in my blog. I am going to use I believe they are 1501 turnigy servo's They are strong around a couple hundred inch oz. I have a set on my FW190 but have not maiden it yet. Maybe in 2014 as I took a year off from the club. I was playing a round holding the servo trying to force it back the other way was impossible it just sat there quite as could be never even buzzed.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:37 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
@unclecrash, IMHO 200 oz-ins is a sensible servo w/ a positive margin. Current servos are designed & built stronger; but I have a couple of these older servos I can use.

You should hav seen the amount of distortion I put on the tail plane while static testing them to ca. 150 oz-ins. Too bad I did not take photos.

Phil
Old Oct 13, 2013, 08:49 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
are they standard size or the old 1/4 scale one's
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:46 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
U/C, they're std size digital.

You realize I'm out of sync with the build/fly seasons right now
Weather in WI has been good since end of Jun. Hope you got some flying in.

Phil
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:49 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
Looks like the tail post is at max camber of root airfoil.
man those planes have some sexy lines ...i got to work on that one for a day ...well both of them .they were awsome builds for prototypes just a crying shame they never got picked.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:28 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
I'm envious of your involvement with the prototypes. Yeah, the prototype looks sleek from certain angles, A/S. It did prove to be faster & more sleek than the F-22!. But there are angles where it does not look as nice. Perhaps the F-23A version will correct that. I might drop in & look at the one at W-P again.

Gone are the days when they would build both F-23 & F-22. Else might have kept the F-22 in better cost control.

I've been off my project for a few days trying to get ready for the seasonal migration. I'm dreading it in a way, as I don't have a drill press, scroll saw & many accessories I have up north. Was thinking if some one will let me use theirs for pay down there? Saves from having 2 of things I need.

Phil
Old Oct 22, 2013, 05:21 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,748 Posts
where are you nesting for the winter?
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 26, 2013, 05:21 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
A/S, I'll be setting up south of SRQ. I my be not far from Invermast, but I may be mistaken.

Phil
Old Dec 20, 2013, 08:57 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2008
325 Posts
The YF-23 Lives! Enjoy!

Banana Hobby / LX Models YF-23 ATF FLIGHT DEMO Part 3 of 3 in HD By: RCINFORMER (10 min 25 sec)
jetpilotrich is offline Find More Posts by jetpilotrich
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2013, 02:32 AM
Isaiah 40:31
United Kingdom, England, Hamble-le-Rice
Joined Sep 2012
728 Posts
Hey Phil! How's your bird progressing?
Clickety is offline Find More Posts by Clickety
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:09 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
Sorry for no updates.

I've been in FL for month+. Been occupied with acquiring 5k+ additional furniture, TV, furnishing into almost empty dwelling after $4k already; & still more needed (plus X'mas) in prep of a surge of visitors for x'mas & soon after new year.

Have not had much time to get a drill press & saw, plus work bench. Also left some stuff in rush to start trip (f/g, tubings...), so will need to reorder those.

Hope to get some CAD work in early Jan.

Weather has been in mid 70s to 80 mid day w/ no rain for last 3 weeks. Caught a pix of 3+ft alligator stalking a snakebird below my window, a white morphed blue heron pecking at lizards in the shrubs a couple of doors down; & got involved with trying to rescue a young sandhill crane with a broken leg at the knee the other day. Too much distraction.

Pls keep posting your own F-23, clickety. What are your dimensions & weight (of the EDF version)?

Phil
Old Dec 24, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
728 Posts
Sounds like a lot of things keeping you busy! I'm impressed for your dr Doolittle work well done! My edf yf23 needs painting but it is exactly the same dimensions as my pusher version. It's quite a bit smaller than yours at 1110mm long. I'll upload pics and spec after Christmas when I return home. Have a great Christmas, Craig.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 05:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
728 Posts
Hi Phil,

Haven't heard from you for a while, how is the build going on?

Just wanted to let you know that I've got my YF-23 Parkjet to a place where I am happy with it's handling etc. I had made some wrong assumptions on the CG position, that stopped me taking it aft, but once I tried it, the bird came alive.

I've now built 3 YF-23 models now, the original proto, grey ghost pusher and black widow EDF. The Grey ghost Pusher flew beautifully on its maiden :-

YF-23 Grey Ghost Parkjet (4 min 15 sec)

My EDF version, had a technical problem (EDF exploded on tests), so I've just ordered two Wicked Wemotec EDF units which I'm hoping will give it a real zip!

I'm playing with the Prototype with Gyro's to try and push its manoeverability to the limits.

I don't know what you could learn from my endeavours, but if they are any help I've uploaded a full set of plans, video, guides etc. - they are all on my blog - just click on 'Clickety' on the right and on my blog homepage click 'Continue reading' which will reveal all my plans.

I look forward to seeing your progress

Cheers

Craig