HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Feb 2002
149 Posts
Question
axi 2814/12 Blue Line?

I just won this motor off ebay. I cannot find any info on it. It doesn't look like a Gold line axi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Willie B
William Bosco is offline Find More Posts by William Bosco
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:16 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,410 Posts
It looks more like this to me.
I found it here:
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-262.html
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:07 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,511 Posts
The thicknesses of the top and bottom blue "collars" look right for an AXI, and many of my older ones have a simple black case without the gold labelling that's on the ones in AXI's web site.

I've got a couple of Silver Line AXIs and many Gold Line, but I've never seen a Blue Line. My electric flight history doesn't go back that far, but AXI commercially produced their first motors in 2001; I wonder if they were that colour by default before they decided to market them as "Gold Line". Might be worth emailing them if nobody comes up with a definite answer.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:20 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,831 Posts
This goes back to the days when a company (whose initials are Hobby Lobby) cut out us small AXI importers (E Cubed RC, Radical RC, Esprit Models) and demanded the manufacturer not sell to any other US retailer. (the prices more than doubled by the way, my wholesale price from HL was more than I was selling them for originally) MS Composit had the Blue LIne "Twister" series of AXIs. Both companies are located in the Czech Republic. What HL didn't count on is that at the time MS Composit had a US presence so some of them made their way over here.

So, yes there was a Blue Axi, to my knowledge the only difference was the color.

The HiMaxx motors were cloned from AXI's sent to China, but that's a story for another day.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:51 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,410 Posts
Thanks so much for the history lesson Azarr. Good stuff to know and cram into what's left of the gray matter.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:20 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
How did Hobby Lobby cut out the small dealers? Did they they some how force Axi into a deal? Just curios, I enjoy history.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:17 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
How did Hobby Lobby cut out the small dealers? Did they they some how force Axi into a deal? Just curios, I enjoy history.
Lots of available cash, buying power and threats to cancel large orders unless the manufacturer complies normally works in business. It's a common practice in a lot of industries. Walmart is famous for it. HL offered all previous dealers the normal dealer discount vs the importer discounts we were getting originally from Model Motors. So, we could still sell the product if we wanted but the price margins were no longer there and the consumer suffered in the long run because as I said, the prices in this country almost doubled.

Interestingly, once HL got the base established with full color ads in the magazines they started pushing other brands and Axi sales suffered. Model Motors came back to Radical and I and said we would be "allowed" to purchase their motors again. We both told them to take their business elsewhere as a matter of principle.

About that time Tower Hobbies started selling AXI motors but they're no longer available there either.

All of this was before Hobby King came on the scene and changed the price structures considerably.

That being said, the quality of Axi motors can't be questioned. They are a great motor if you're willing to pay the price.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:39 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,511 Posts
Thanks for that insight, Azarr. Sounds similar to what happened in the UK a few years back when one of our internet suppliers -- who sold AXI and Mega motors almost to the exclusion of others -- stopped selling AXI.

AXI must have appointed a "manager" in charge of their business at that time, rather than an enthusiastic engineer or modeller
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:42 PM
Derby, UK
Joined Nov 2004
213 Posts
Sorry to bump a slightly old thread but I also have a 'blue' AXi 2820/12 like the first picture. Mine was 'won' from one of the UK mags for a letter I had published about the de Agostini Sptfire, which shows how long ago it was, probably RCM&E iirc. It's possible the magazine was sent it as a sample and decided to use it as a prize, but that's me sepculating.
I happened to be searching to find info on prop sizes and found this thread. My original box simply says 2820/12 and the data sheet was standard, so I presume it was simply a different colour as said above.
I have to differ on the quality aspect though - at least two of my axi's - this one and an early 2820/10 - have had magnets come loose. I don't abuse my motors so I dont believe it was overheating that caused it.
hth
Daddymonkey is offline Find More Posts by Daddymonkey