HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:36 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
When I get a "roun toit". I want to build an electric-powered scratch version of a Sterling Mambo, I know, it's been done. But how do you explain nostalgia for the things of your youth. My old Mambo had a single channel radio system with escapement powered rudder and no elevator, ailerons, or throttle.Power was a Torpedo .25 green head. It did have considerable down and right thrust. Models of this type had a lot of dihedral and were trimmed for constant climb straight ahead. I may incorporate ailerons, elevator and throttle but not use them when simulating olde tyme single channel flying including snap rolls, spiral dives and loops. It's fun to control climb with turns and to build up speed for loops with spiral dives. It's also fun to kill the motor and try for "dead stick" spot landings. When not showing off single channel skills, I'll trim for level flight and fly it like a low powered trainer with four channels.

I enjoyed my Dick's Dream a lot with the Ace Pulse Commander and Tee Dee .020 power. T'was easy to fly and quite stuntable.
The hobby shop employee who became my friend and taught me how to fly had a mini-Mambo. He really liked the style and how it flew. Great guy. I learned a lot from him. And he was also a private pilot as well and took me up in the hobby shop owner's Cherokee 140 and let me take the controls for awhile. Pretty neat.

Back in the early 70s when I was in college studying engineering, I wrote a letter to a modeling magazine about the posibilities in the future on those single channel birds and what they might be able to do someday. And here we are... 40+ years later and boy have times changed! My old single channel Dick's Dream trainer will now become a six channel sport aerobatic plane. Pretty cool stuff!

Besides nostalgia, one reason that I'm building this plane is because of the proliferation of identical foamies nowadays. They have their place, but it seems like that's all that I see. Building my own brings some uniqueness to the flying field.

This is my first scratch build in 35 years and my first build of any kind in over 30 years. I'd forgotten some of the basics but have gotten some great help here on RCG.

Today, I didn't get a doggoned thing done on the build other than going to Michaels and buying a single 1/2 x 1/4 balsa stick. But with that, I'll be able to get the entire wing built without having to set it aside waiting for balsa.

Oh! One thing that I keep forgetting to mention is that the orginal plans called for 2 degrees of positive incidence at the leading edge of the wing, but I removed that on this build. Not necessary with full house control.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:51 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
More progress tonight.

Ran out of 1/8 x 1/4 stick stock so will have to pick some up tomorrow before I can complete the basic assembly and add the flaps and ailerons.

Go ahead... ask me about the McDonalds straws.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:03 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Well, we're still working as time permits. Getting the aileron and flap linkages set up now. Meticulous stuff that my bride enjoys doing. I'm just around for the heavy lifting, like bending wire and such.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:52 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i was tossing around some numbers, i could probly fly this on the mosquito gear i have!
might give it a try.
my little one just sits there awaiting mor motors and tissue.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:40 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
i was tossing around some numbers, i could probly fly this on the mosquito gear i have!
might give it a try.
my little one just sits there awaiting mor motors and tissue.
Yeah, as I've been building, I've checked weight a few times and it's possible that the AUW for this plane will be between 10 - 12 ounces with radio gear, motor, battery/ESC and lights installed.

As I type, we're working on the left flap. Got the aileron hinges done on the left side. Only need to add the wingtip but will wait on that till the right wing is done.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:10 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Got the aileron and flap hinge and torque rod mechanics figured out. Will duplicate for the right wing panel tomorrow and glue everything up as appropriate.

Then it'll be time for carving the leading edge. Anyone know where I can get an X-acto spokeshave by itself?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:40 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
love the flaps!

whats the weight of the wing right now?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:34 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
love the flaps!

whats the weight of the wing right now?
Right now the left wing weighs just 18 grams, but that is with the leading edge UNCARVED and no sanding done.

And it is WITHOUT the control rod tubes or the 1/16" piano wire control rods.

Of course, once the wings are joined the center section will be sheeted and glassed too.

I dunno... maybe it'll be 45 - 50 grams for the completed and covered wing with all the mechanicals onboard but not including the LEDs.

Here are a couple more pix in the daylight this morning.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:22 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
The right wing panel is coming along. Both partially built panels mocked up for pic. With any luck, the right side flap will be completed tomorrow and I can pick up the pace a little.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:37 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Both flaps and ailerons now completed. Work continues...
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:31 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Think those flaps will slow this thing down?

Okay, enough with the scotch tape and mockups... time to get back to work!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:26 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Carved and sanded the leading edge and the basic wing panels tonight.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:29 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Getting down to brass tacks now. Finished the shear webbing and carving and sanding the leading edge. Glued in the hinge mounting blocks to both the ailerons and the wing, then slotted them for the hinges. Drilled holes for the toothpick hinge locking pins and mounted everything up.

The ailerons are completed but not fully glued into place yet. That will happen after I've covered them. But the hinge locking pins in the ailerons themselves are glued. The hinge locking pins in the wing are not glued yet. That will wait until some covering has been done.

Just now mocked up the nav/landing lights and routed them through the McDonalds straw wiring tube. By spacing them out and tying them together with a wire tie, I was able to push them through quite easily. I'd prefer to have the landing lights at bay #4 instead of where they're showing currently in bay #5, but the straws have already been cut. I suppose I could go up to McD's and get a couple more drinks though. Heh.

Am now trying to determine the best way to fit the lights to the wing. The wingtip lights will be relatively simple to fair into the wing, but the landing light requires careful consideration. Don't want to just hang it in the breeze underneath the covering, nor do I want to weaken the leading edge. On another project I'm planning to have retractable lights but this plane really doesn't need them.

Also might have to use 2 servos for the ailerons. I'd planned on using just one in the standard configuration but am a little concerned about adverse yaw. Using 2 servos helps with that but makes mounting a little more difficult and sucks up another channel from my FS-CT6B... which I'd planned on using to turn the lights on and off. And that means adding a receiver style switch to the LEDs... a less than elegant solution.

Anyway, I've been working away and being cautious as I move forward. Don't want to bend torque rods and install them too early. Once in place, they won't be easy to remove. Will have to fit and test, fit and test, then cover a little and do final fitting and securing.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:30 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,348 Posts
Lighting test.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:48 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012