SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:12 AM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
239 Posts
Discussion
Dremel tools

I need a new Dremel tool. I want a corded Dremel with variable speed. I can't tell from the advertising what is the difference between the Dremel 3000 and the Dremel 4000. Can anyone help out?
edbu1 is online now Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:19 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,574 Posts
Based on specs, I saw a little difference in rpm but not enough to matter. The 3000 was cheaper on my searches. I would go with the cheaper one. My most used tool is the Dremel.

I did a little more searching and saw that the 4000 has an electronic feed back for motor control. I wouldnt consider that important enough to pay extra for it.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:40 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Actually the electronic feedback for speed control sounds like it would be well worth the money.

The problem with an open ended speed control as usually found on Dremels is that at the lower speeds it takes VERY little load to stall or seriously slow down the tool.

I've always got around this issue by using a foot operated speed control so I can add power or take it away as needed without shifting my grip. But a feedback system in the tool itself COULD perhaps take away the advantage of the foot pedal.

On second thought I think I'll stick with my foot control. It allows me to reach into a tight spot without the tool turning and then bring it up to speed. In tight spots this greatly reduces the risk of accidental cuts where I don't want them.

So based on this I'd say buy the 3000 and just leave the speed dial at max. Then plug it into something like one of these two foot operated speed controls;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3E96B578GRWBGB

http://www.amazon.com/Wecheer-Foot-O.../dp/B0032Z1CB6
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:56 AM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
I agree with Bruce a foot peddle is the way to go. A lot more control.
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:51 AM
What, Me Worry?
Joined Feb 2007
239 Posts
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,574 Posts
I've never used a foot peddle. That might be a good idea. With it on the floor, does saw dust and dirt ever become a problem? I've got a lot of that.
Edwin
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:40 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,402 Posts
If you can manage it, a knee operated pedal (as in sewing machines) works fantastically well.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:13 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
The two I've got get taken apart and vacuumed out about once ever 10 years. I did it once about 10 years back in a fit of enthusiasm over cleaning...

No, the dust and regular floor dirt doesn't seem to bother them. And I simply kick them a little under the bench when not needed. In fact I don't even turn off the switch on the actual tool. The foot pedal speed control IS the switch as far as I'm concerned. The two pedals I've got have tolerated this nonsense for well over 30 years now.

Les, I'm not sure about the knee idea since that implies a fixed point for operation. I often pull the foot pedal out and move it here or there so it's at the work instead of bringing the work to the Dremel and pedal. So unless I'm missing a key point about the knee pedal idea I'd have to say that the floor located option is more flexible.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:17 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,574 Posts
So you just leave the speed all the way up and dial in what you need? This could be handy. I never really considered it until now. Good info.
Edwin
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:21 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Yep.

The speed dial on my Dremel has been on "10" for so long now that I don't even know if it'll move anymore...

The tool hangs up under the front edge on a cup hook so it's always right there. The odd time my foot goes in under the bench a touch too far and I clip the edge of the foot pedal and hear the tool go ZING! But the tool is far enough in out of the way so no harm has ever come of it.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:32 AM
What, Me Worry?
Joined Feb 2007
239 Posts
Other Rotary Tool brands

Then I don't really need to pay extra to get the variable speed Dremel, if I get a foot pedal. I can save money and get the lower end Dremel and use the savings to get a foot pedal for speed control, right?

How about other brands of rotary tools? Any that you recommend or recommend to stay away from? There are Proxxus, Wen, Gyros, Dura-Built, Craftsman, etc, etc. Will they all be able to use the commonly available Dremel accessories? Or wiould I be stuck with whatever came with the tool? Is Dremel the best for longevity?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:19 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,574 Posts
I had a craftsman once that my dad gave me. Not near the quality and didnt last very long, probably why he gave it to me. I use dremel at home and at work and have worn out about 6 over the last 20 years or so. Dremel holds up and you can replace the brushes if you need to. I'll also take the armature out from time to time and clean it to get more life out of it. Its my most used tool in the home shop. Sold on Dremel.
Edwin
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:30 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,402 Posts
"Les, I'm not sure about the knee idea since that implies a fixed point for operation."

That is true. When I need any kind of accuracy, and cannot afford to slip, I work at the bench, and it is fixed.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:46 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
On the face of it yes, it suggests that you can get away with a cheaper non speed control version. But the issue would be if the cheaper version cuts other corners as well in terms of the internal motor details and bearing quality. And the time I had my 3000 open some 10 years back to replace the brushes and try to slip a little oil into the bearings I noticed that the speed control is built right into the brush holder and bearing end bell casting. So all in all I'd have to assume that a non speed control model likely has a lighter duty and cheaper motor.

I've got one of the offshore made rotary tools and it sounds like a cement mixer compared to the smooth high pitch singing from the Dremel. If you need to use a rotary tool a lot then it pays to pay once and smile every time it turns over rather than tolerate something which fights you all the time. So all in all if it were me and it wan't going to force me to eat Kraft Dinner for more than a week to pay for it I'd say go with the better quality Dremel. And even then get one of the known better models even in the Dremel lineup.

Besides, there is the odd time you may want to take the tool out somewhere and the built in ESC would be all you need for that sort of thing.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:03 AM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
438 Posts
I had the XRP 400 and that series had a heat problem after a few minutes of use. It would get so hot that I could not hold on to it. It worked for almost three years and finally burned up. I waited almost another two years then called dremal tech support to see if I could get replacement parts and got it replaced with the 4000. It turns out it had a 5 year warrenty.

The 4000 is an excellant tool and as far as i am concerned I suggest it over the 3000 model.

The 3000 has a 4 year warrenty vs a 5 year for the 4000 which is another reason for getting the 4000.

I also have the Dremal Stylus which is the bomb. It's great for detail work it has a
7.2 volt lithium ion battery with 5000-25000 rpms.

I just visited the Dremal website and they have a new version of the Model 4000 out. The new model is 4200 and has the EZ-Change chuck system. No more wrench to tighen up the chuck.

It's probably more expensive than the 4000 but if you can purchase the Keyless Adjustable Chuck and use it as a sort of quick changer. I have it and it works well for changing bits fast . Every now and then I will need the wrench to loosen.

If you want to use the foot pedal I would get the Model 100. No sense in paying the extra money for a 3000 or 4000 if your going to use a foot pedal. The model 100 runs at 35000 rpm so I wouldn't think it would be less quality than 3000 or 4000 as far as workmanship. It does have a 2 year warrenty vs the 4 and 5 year warrenties of thier higher end models.
Roguedog is online now Find More Posts by Roguedog
Last edited by Roguedog; Jan 07, 2013 at 02:41 AM.