HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Discussion
Mini Spad

A few of us have done these in the past typically used as Christmas ornaments.
Here is this years offering. A Mini Mig.

1" = 1' scale

The third pic sitting next to the full scale Mig complete with battle scars.
Mig Man is offline Find More Posts by Mig Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:39 AM
France, PCh, Puy-du-Lac
Joined Mar 2010
105 Posts
So cool
Spaderman is offline Find More Posts by Spaderman
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
I like it! I notice you have enlarged the tip cord on the large Mig. I'm assuming this reduces the nasty tip stall? Was thinking of doing a Hurricane for the same reason.
robw_london is offline Find More Posts by robw_london
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:39 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
The Big one was made for the SSC class combat which required 400" wing surface area minimum. It flew so well I also used it for the open class combat. Here is a quick video showing the performance I am able to get from a well setup "Cartoon Scale" Mig 3. (in the middle of the video it actually hit the ground, flipped, or cartwheeled back into the air and continued to fly.)

what you can do with a mig ( awesome performance ) (4 min 13 sec)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:04 PM
Brno, Czech republic
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
Coro Mig is awesome! I suppose fuselage is the same as with shorter wingspan, just wing has changed. Can the plan be downloaded anywhere? I made some classic spad planes from coro, now I want to try something "nicer".
bighugo is offline Find More Posts by bighugo
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:56 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Yes it is. Modified directly from the Dave West Mig-7 but with a modified wing and a few tweeks to the tail fin profiles which follow the pattern more closely to the Mig-3 it turns out.

Glad you asked about the download. Here you go.

This is for the .15 size engine but if you want the 25 size engine move the firewall back 3/4". (That's what is in the video.) This zip file has three template sets. Each set is eight standard sheets (.pdf file) taped together to make one large template set. Included are a set of basic instructions. (.rtf file) Somewhere one of the guys put together a set of plans with pictures included which helped. I'll add them if I can locate them.

Found it!...
The illustrated instruction manual shows bulkheads made of birch ply along with other bits (tank standoff blocks etc) which were all part of the build party kits I assembled for the local build parties. (Not avalable elsewhere) I had the privilege of access to a laser cutter which dosen't care what material it cuts through so we went with 7 ply birch. Two sheets of 1/16 balsa sheet glued at 90 degree cross grain works well if you are going to cut them out by hand.
Last edited by Mig Man; Dec 29, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Thanks! printed off stright away! As the fuse is holding up well I'll make a new wing to your plan. I'm using an Enya 25 so there's enough power but take-off and landing speeds are a bit high with the smaller wing - plane has undercarriage fitted as it is used for fun flying but our flying site is very bumpy. (why is it still bumpy is another story...)
robw_london is offline Find More Posts by robw_london
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:04 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Actually, the F2 former sits back farther on the modified Mig-3 since it has a shorter wing chord. You will need to make a new fuse. Besides, notice the difference in the tail fins. It needed the larger vertical fin area too. It has about 3/4" extra length and height. And the more rounded shape looks better with the modified wing.