HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,046 Posts
Question
UMX Charger question(s)

I've just bought an E-Flite Micro SBach 342 BNF, but LiPo wasn't included. Ordered some Nano-Tech compatibles - awaiting their arrival.

This'll be my 1st excursion into 2s LiPo use. I've been all 3s until now, for which I use an Accucell-6 charger, which is 2s-capable (1s thru 6s) & has a 2s balance-port built in.

Questions relating to the li'l charger that came with the plane.
The supplied power input plug is terminated with a couple alligator clips for the power source. Apparently designed for charging from a 12V battery?

The power supply (input) for my Accucell puts out 15V minimum (variable, up thru 24V; it's sold for laptop powering). Simplest question I guess is, can the 2s charger take 15V input? That'd be the easiest conversion; just swap (or adapt) the alligator clips to the power supply's output plug.

Next alternative is to charge off the Accucel 6's output. Would require a couple of 4mm banana plugs cabled to a female E-Flite connector. Is this connector actually a 3-pin JST-XH connector, or is there something special about it that makes it uniquely 'E-Flite'? Else, where might I find a fem connector to kludge up a DIY adaptor??

Then there's the cell-balancing factor. How's this managed? Lack of a separate JST for the Accucel (or other) balance port seems to render balancing a moot point, or can that all (charging & balancing) possibly be done thru the balance port alone?

I'm really unsure of how these 2s things work! Or better said, what exactly is involved. If there's some already available ready-made solution I'm not seeing I'd sure welcome hearing about it!
Thanks for any good advice!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:07 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
The balancing is handled by the charger it comes with. Your 15V power supply is too much, at staples or radio shack or best buy you can get a 12V power supply, eflite sells one but it is expensive.
The plug is unique to eflites, it uses the three wires for discharge and balancing, therefore able to only use one plug,
If you need connectors, look at rcconnectors.com. If you cant find what you want Glenn(who operates the business) does special orders..
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
729 Posts
Here's the adapter you'll need to charge that battery on the Accucell:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLA700UM

If you want to parallel multiple Elite 2S batts on the Accucell you would need one of these:

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I personally wouldnt recomend parralell charging, however, if the batteries are very close in charge, like say, one tenth of a volt, paralell is good. Im just too lazy to pay that much attention to my batteries.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Since the cables are basically the same price, buying the parallel cable is a no brainer... even if you don't ever charge more than one battery at a time.

Charging a few batteries at once is super convenient, but like @airpower says... I try to charge batteries that are at about the same level of discharge. I think a few tenths of a volt difference is fine and I think you can just hook them up and leave them for a little bit to let them even themselves out, if you want.

The connectors themselves are actually standard connectors of some sort, you can find them on digikey for a few cents each. If you wanted to build your own charging harness, it'd only cost a few dollars.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog