SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:24 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Hi All...

Well with all talk of failsafe. I thought I would share this.

Well, not sure what happened, but I lost radio control over my X650 and it auto landed itself. I will say I am proud of myself as I kept so calm. At about 2:35 mins in you will see I start to turn to come back and well, that was that. No more radio. I was also at a loss on why it auto landed and did not return to home... until later when I got home. (I did not know I lost the radio so I also tried a turn off so it would return home. The Failsafe mode for me is radio off or no reception.)

I am glad I was over a farmers bean filed so it was nice. (Vs being over tress or worse...water.)

After I got home I checked the Naza settings and their was nothing checked for the failsafe. I mean it was blank. So the default with nothing checked it seems is to just land. So, well, I guess I am glad it landed vs just doing nothing. I then reset all the options in the Naza to be sure. But this is the second time I had found weird settings in the Naza. One time the gains for Pitch and Roll had set to 35% and it almost crashed as it could not respond fast enough to a decent. I know I did not set 35%.

I was also testing my new Eagle Tree OSD vs the Hornet it came with as I needed better Altitude info and you can get that with Eagle Tree. In this video, the Altitude on the right with the line grid is from the GPS readings. On the bottom right is altitude from a standalone altitude barometric sensor. I wanted to see both as I wanted to show how big the difference can be with GPS vs Barometer.

I also had the DVR in the wrong resolution mode so it is not as clear as it normally would be.

If you do not want to watch it all...reminder, it happens at about 2:35 mins in. Again, I am so proud how clam I was. What could you do?

x650 - Lost Radio Control.AVI (4 min 1 sec)
David Bott is offline Find More Posts by David Bott
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:30 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Your batteries are likely done.
When Lipos get tired their capacity drops pretty quickly. I've got a pile of 2200 30C GA packs that last about 5 minutues on my Sniper (3D foamy). A new 30C SkyLipo goes a solid 9 minutes. The GA packs have somewhere between 150 and 200 cycles on them which for me is a pretty normal life. I balance charge 100% of the time and never above 1C. When they get this bad, I wire 4 or 5 five of them together in parallel and power my FPV base station.
I left those 2 GEN ACE fully charged for more than 6 months without using it during the winter season, would that be enough to kill it?
kryptoknight is offline Find More Posts by kryptoknight
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:36 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,836 Posts
Lipos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptoknight View Post
I left those 2 GEN ACE fully charged for more than 6 months without using it during the winter season, would that be enough to kill it?
They are supposed to have a finite lifetime.
Care in discharge/charge is supposed to extend that.
I've read that (like humans) a lipo starts dying the day it's born.
So, hording them on the shelf is foolish economy.
I've accidentally stored charged lipos over the winter with no easily recognized decrease in performance.
All mine are Turnigy...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Well, today is the day for my test flight! I only wish I was able to enjoy FPV!. The stroke I had has made my vision a nightmare!. I do like having all the toys anyway, all the lights flashing impresses the kids at the park. I will let ya know if this gets off the ground! Total weight is 3.5 pounds exactlyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRIz_...ature=youtu.be
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Last edited by goldsworthy; Aug 29, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
They are supposed to have a finite lifetime.
Care in discharge/charge is supposed to extend that.
I've read that (like humans) a lipo starts dying the day it's born.
So, hording them on the shelf is foolish economy.
I've accidentally stored charged lipos over the winter with no easily recognized decrease in performance.
All mine are Turnigy...
My K6 3700 mAh is slightly puffing but it can still last more than 10 mins. The only thing I didn't do is re callibrate the voltage settings on the dji software whenever I switch from my 3700mAh to GEN ACE 4000 mAh before flying again. I checked the voltage reading on my GEN ACE after it went on protection mode and its reading around 11.6V after 5 mins. Fully charged at 12.6 volts. My kypom 3700 mAH was reading 13V on Dji callibration fully charged. It was reading at 12.6V on my ACCUCEL balance charger when it was full. I set the first level protection to 10.6V and 2nd level protection at 10V. So if switching from 3700 mAh to 4000 mAh battery, should I re callibrate it again and set up the first and 2nd level protection in dji software before flying?
kryptoknight is offline Find More Posts by kryptoknight
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:09 AM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
320 Posts
ESC's for Naza and Bumble Bee FC's

I have a DJI f450 with Naza and GPS. I have attached a Gopro and just got it set-up for FPV but not taken out yet. The Naza is great and I just recently picked up a Bumble Bee FC which I understand is a Naza OME. I want to put it into a DJI 330 frame I currently have that is using Gaui 330 electronics. Does anyone know if the Gaui esc's will work or Turnigy plush 12A. If not any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Birdman4498 is offline Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:28 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,836 Posts
Quote:
My K6 3700 mAh is slightly puffing but it can still last more than 10 mins. The only thing I didn't do is re callibrate the voltage settings on the dji software whenever I switch from my 3700mAh to GEN ACE 4000 mAh before flying again. I checked the voltage reading on my GEN ACE after it went on protection mode and its reading around 11.6V after 5 mins. Fully charged at 12.6 volts. My kypom 3700 mAH was reading 13V on Dji callibration fully charged. It was reading at 12.6V on my ACCUCEL balance charger when it was full. I set the first level protection to 10.6V and 2nd level protection at 10V. So if switching from 3700 mAh to 4000 mAh battery, should I re callibrate it again and set up the first and 2nd level protection in dji software before flying?
I've been swapping between 3300mAh and 3600mAh with no noticeable effect.
No recalibration.
Got scolded some pages back for this, but everyone's lazy at times...
The small weight difference was taken in stride.
As far as compensating for weight increases, the guy taking the rope airborne was impressive.
Every additional foot he lifted added to the AUW, and the Naza/F450 just kept on hoisting.
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Aug 29, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, NV, Nye
Joined Jun 2012
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
I may be wrong but I think the confusion is between ppm and cppm. The Frsky rx puts out ppm for each individual channel and that works with Naza. I think the firmware update we're waiting for will support cppm where all the channels are encoded onto 1 wire. My Frsky rx also supports cppm. I can jumper ch 3-4 on my D8r and I get ch1-8 cppm on ch1 output, rssi on channel 2, and still have ch5-8 for any other auxillary uses.

@Pajonate: I use a Hitec Aurora 9. I would say go for the DHT-U if you're going to go Frsky. The audible alarms are great

Man this thread moves so quick i can barely keep up!

Edit: I may be wrong now that I'm thinking about it, the Frsky rx may be outputting pwm on the individual channels. I don't remember, I would have to put it on the scope and check again. But either way, it works with naza.
2nd edit: Frsky site says ppm so I think I was right the first time
CPPM I am guessing this is what they call the PPM SUM and yes that is what I am waiting for.
STORMYWEATHER is offline Find More Posts by STORMYWEATHER
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Everything you wanted to know about the care of lipo batteries:
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Short answer: leaving a battery at full charge for an extended amount of time is not good for the battery.

Edit: Also from what I understand the best way to monitor the condition of your batteries is measuring the Internal Resistance (IR) of the battery. Better chargers can do this. Mine does and I write down the IR of each battery on the battery the day I get them and I will now check that to determine how my batteries are doing.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMYWEATHER View Post
CPPM I am guessing this is what they call the PPM SUM and yes that is what I am waiting for.
ya same thing cppm=ppm sum

I think the C stands for cumulative
Cervanchez is offline Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
israel
Joined Jun 2003
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
ya same thing cppm=ppm sum

I think the C stands for cumulative
C means.... combined
moti is offline Find More Posts by moti
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
Everything you wanted to know about the care of lipo batteries:
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Short answer: leaving a battery at full charge for an extended amount of time is not good for the battery.

Edit: Also from what I understand the best way to monitor the condition of your batteries is measuring the Internal Resistance (IR) of the battery. Better chargers can do this. Mine does and I write down the IR of each battery on the battery the day I get them and I will now check that to determine how my batteries are doing.
The way I do it is just buy a new battery each month and toss the old one in the trash .I am not that good with math so its easyer for me to handle the battery problems this way.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
another unlucky day......

after cleaning and reassembling the f450 (after my 1st unlucky flight day) and setting up the naza again.....I try to flew it this evening...upon take off, my bird just flip over to the right (back) of it...I tried the 2nd time...same result but fortunately no damages to the bird. Going to do some csi tonite.....shisss .......oo...one question guys.....can the Naza be mounted at a 90 deg angle (perpendicular) to the front of the f450, meaning not parallel to the horizon?........I mount mine like that after reassembling.
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Last edited by CPMBOY; Aug 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Well, today is the day for my test flight! I only wish I was able to enjoy FPV!. The stroke I had has made my vision a nightmare!. I do like having all the toys anyway, all the lights flashing impresses the kids at the park. I will let ya know if this gets off the ground! Total weight is 3.5 pounds exactlyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRIz_...ature=youtu.be
Well, the test flight went perfect not 1 glitch! I guess it pays to buy the best equipment!. The EZOSD acquired the satellites with no problem. the flight went good all motors stayed cool. Now I can put this stuff back on the closet shelf where it belongs.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
after cleaning and reassembling the f450 (after my 1st unlucky flight day) and setting up the naza again.....I try to flew it this evening...upon take off, my bird just flip over to the right (back) of it...I tried the 2nd time...same result but fortunately no damages to the bird. Going to do some csi tonite.....shisss ...
This is because the props are on the wrong arms!