SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jairoblaster View Post
As to the point of weather its cheating or not, I say if thats the case go ahead and send back your fancy radios with the premixed channels, and endpoint adjustments, and expo, and dual rates. Its all cheating to that end, I remember when we had none of it, And I cherish the day that I was able to purchase my first computerized radio, holy cow what a day. I have a feeling that, what you are seing here will be the same thing.
After you fly your buddys you will go Ive got to have one of those it feels right. Dont just pass it off as a cheaters patch to 3D Use it as a tool to make your flights more fun and get more out of your models. Besides Ive seen alot of you fly and your never going to be 3D pilots with out it. LOL LOL .........
I am, just with a bigger plane. The more I hear, the more I agree. But all those other "cheats" are things real airplanes have, albeit mechanically. In fact, all those things you mention MUST be designed and adjusted very carefully. Gyro stabilization is something else. But full scale craft do use it, and more, to make the new designs flyable. So... if we're going to hold full scale aircraft up as a metric of what's cheating or not... that doesn't make a case against AC3X either. So... I say, enjoy it! I'll be getting one for sure!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:43 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jairoblaster View Post
All I can say to that is wait till you need some service on your futaba radio, then you will understand why we all use spektrum, and JR radios. It made a beliver out of me. Now when I drop a G for a radio I know my radio is covered for the actual time of the warrenty and and a few cases much longer. There Service is Holy cow good. MY 2 Cents
What A Load Of CRAP !!!
Over here it's exactly the OPPOSITE !, i broke the aerial ball on my FX-30, 10 days (with the French 'Snail post' included ) and 60 later the radio was repaired, JR 'Forget it' it's got a new importer 'wait and see' (Ex Graupner)
Spectrum, with all of the 'call backs' they seem to put their gear on the market even though it doesn't work !!!
So you can see why i don't fly with a 'Quote' 2 cents radio,,,,,
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:06 AM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
I too was in the same boat; kept adding the original beast to my cart and not buying at the last second. Something told me to hang on and I'm glad I listened to my gut.

Will be picking up one of these for the indoor season.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
are they offering pre- orders?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Sort of surprised no one else has mentioned flying the gyro beast on Realflight

The fellow who did the realflight beast with gyros, Silverexpress, PMed me with the following:

" Note: With the anouncement of the E-Flite AS3X rx's please keep in mind the following:

1. This simulation IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE of that system at this time.
2. This simulation represents 3 seperate Heli gyros being applied to the three control surfaces of an airplane.
- They work independently of each other, and so there is no mixing or master program that ties all three in influencing the flying of this plane.
4. This is a very crude form of stabilization.
5. All parameters where adjusted to my flying style. So there is a good possibility that it may not fit yours - faster roll, slower roll, more pitch...etc..."

Thanks, Silverexpress.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Can we keep the Beast posts in one thread? I'm not keeping up with this one, just poking in from time to time. There is enough chatter over on teh main Beast thread.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:49 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,515 Posts
Thanks for the info WSEN. I wonder if that implies the as3x has coupled feedback? Ardupilot Mega has offered coupled PID controls for a while, and quad guys have other lighter feedback control systems at their disposal. The potential with a coupled PID control system is enormous... soon we may see many previously impossible true to scale models... including parkflyer B2's with functional split ruddervaterons!!!

Now they just need to repackage this for DIY, with USB programmable constants... and the world of controls engineering will keep hobbyists in shock for years to come!

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined Jul 2006
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I bet the Sbach guys wouldn't buy a second Sbach.. but the Beast guys buy like 3 or 4
Because they try to hover the Beast in a very low altitude or in the living room.
But good opportunity to test the Beast 3D electronics in the Sbach
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:14 PM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

I won't know how I feel about the gyro until I try it out. It sort-of feels like cheating to me but I don't think I can really develop an opinion until I fly it. It was, afterall, designed around the gyro and if I believe the marketing (call me cautiously optimistic at this point) it was designed to make the smaller plane fly much bigger than it really is. I'm guessing this will make rollers and hovers much easier. The V1 Beast is almost too twitchy to confidently pull off maneuvers like those.

I'll definitely be buying one.

I really like the direction they are going though. It's a great time to be in this hobby!
I don't look at it as cheating, I look at it as leveling the playing field and adding more enjoyment to the hobby. Ultra micros are affected by the wind so much they become a handful to fly. They are also very twitchy and is why I dial in quite a bit of expo. Tone able to fly a UMX Beast that handles like a 100 cc Beast... in my front yard... in wind? I'm all for it! And I won't be ashamed to tell anyone about it either. Just my 2 cents worth.
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74 View Post
So, my wife and daughters just left for a weekend with Grandma so I have a few minutes before it got dark. Popped a fresh 180 in my older UMX Beast and I swear it knows I'm thinking of getting this new Beast 3D. It flew so well, it made me look good. Couldn't pull a hover but, it was so smooth up there!!

Little does my wee Beastie know that I'm not replacing her, I'm just getting it a sister.
According to Kevin Kimball, you would actually be getting "him" a "brother"
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
According to Wikipedia, Cheating refers to the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process. Cheating can refer specifically to marital infidelity. Someone who is known for cheating is referred to as a cheat in British English, and a cheater in American English.

You can use the new system-I can use the new system. It's not cheating.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:33 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
According to Wikipedia, Cheating refers to the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process. Cheating can refer specifically to marital infidelity. Someone who is known for cheating is referred to as a cheat in British English, and a cheater in American English.

You can use the new system-I can use the new system. It's not cheating.
Guys like you are called "comedians" or "funny guys" depending...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Guys like you are called "comedians" or "funny guys" depending...
My wife calls me a wise man (guy)
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:00 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Can we keep the Beast posts in one thread? I'm not keeping up with this one, just poking in from time to time. There is enough chatter over on teh main Beast thread.
The "main" Beast thread is for the non 3D Beast. This is for the New and Different one.

Then don't keep up with this one. Have fun sifting between old Beast and new Beast stuff... Just saying. At least here, it's all related to the new 3D Beast.

When I started the F-27Q Stryker thread, there were guys complaining not to start a new thread when the F-27C thread was already created. Again, the F-27Q and F-27C are two different planes.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:39 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
The "main" Beast thread is for the non 3D Beast. This is for the New and Different one.

Then don't keep up with this one. Have fun sifting between old Beast and new Beast stuff... Just saying. At least here, it's all related to the new 3D Beast.

When I started the F-27Q Stryker thread, there were guys complaining not to start a new thread when the F-27C thread was already created. Again, the F-27Q and F-27C are two different planes.
I agree.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97