HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 07:09 PM
Not A Crash Until It Breaks
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
114 Posts
what's the best beginner glider?
jgriz is offline Find More Posts by jgriz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thermals?!
Plantation, FL
Joined Apr 2008
385 Posts
How does everyone manage all the tension on your launching arm before you launch with the 20-25lbs you need to launch a 3.3 moldie?

Andy
AndyTheLegend is offline Find More Posts by AndyTheLegend
Old Nov 29, 2009, 04:22 AM
Joined Feb 2009
208 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1142032&page=2
mikey100 is offline Find More Posts by mikey100
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTheLegend View Post
How does everyone manage all the tension on your launching arm before you launch with the 20-25lbs you need to launch a 3.3 moldie?

Andy
I launch my Supra, flying alone, with a hosemonster "4-m" highstart. It is certainly in the 20 to 25 lb tension range. I hook up the high start to the plane before I stretch out the bungee. (JT taught me that.) Hold with your stronger arm just behind the wing, transmitter in the other, and walk backward to stretch out the rubber.
I bend my elbow so my hand is close to my sholder, elbow forward.
The wing is always ahead of you in this arrangement and you have maximum strength. This way, if you tire and slip the grip accidently the wing will not hit you. I am not very strong, so I can not hold the plane much above my head, but when releasing the Supra jumps into a steep climb right away even though by necessity I am releasing towards the horizon. I get very nice launches and flights this way and it is reasonably safe. Having a friend launch the plane with two hands is even better.
jpherit is offline Find More Posts by jpherit
Last edited by jpherit; Nov 29, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTheLegend View Post

Andy
First of all you don't need 20-25 pounds of pull to launch a 3.3 moldie. As stated in the first article, you need 3-5 times the weight of the plane.

So, for example, my Supra weighs 4 pounds, so that would be 12-20 pounds. The fact that I launch it at 25 ( based on 4M hi-start) is a matter of personal choice. The average 3M hi-start tops out at around 16 pounds, I think.

I use a radio neck strap. That is important as it keeps my hands free. I have the plane on before I hook up the hi-start.

I hook up the hi-start, then face away from the stake and walk. I have the plane facing me, fuse under one arm and wing across my chest. When I get to about 250 feet I turn around, using BOTH hands ( remember the radio neck strap?) and get the plane in a solid grip. The Pylon wing design of the Supra and the AVA give you a great grip area. The thermal dancer is a little bit tougher. I hold that one just behind the wing at the pod/boom joint.

Then I walk backwards for the last 20 to 50 feet, if i choose to go back that far.

Get the radio in my left hand, wiggle the stick to be sure all is working, make sure my thumb is on the rudder stick, then tip the nose up about 20-45 degrees and give it a toss.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 29, 2009, 04:44 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriz View Post
what's the best beginner glider?
Multiplex Easy Glider or Easy Glider Pro.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:44 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Jun 19, 2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Input not needed
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:44 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I never cared for the behind the wing grip, but from what I've read, it seems to work fine for most folks....I'm alwats worried about the tail hitting my head.

I like the F3B style launch, gripping ahead of the wing, and throwing in an overhand motion. That way, I know that the wing and the tail can't hit my head, and it's the same motion I use for a winch launch.

T
A lot of competition pilots use that grip. However my two main competition planes are nose cone based and I would be concerned about pulling the nose cone off.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I never cared for the behind the wing grip, but from what I've read, it seems to work fine for most folks....I'm alwats worried about the tail hitting my head.

I like the F3B style launch, gripping ahead of the wing, and throwing in an overhand motion. That way, I know that the wing and the tail can't hit my head, and it's the same motion I use for a winch launch.

T
I too use that approach on a winch launch, but it is not physically possible for me to hold off 25 lbs of a strong highstart in that manner. I do lean my head away from the plane on release and have never hit it. Again, this is only with the highstart. Winch is as you describe.
jpherit is offline Find More Posts by jpherit
Last edited by jpherit; Nov 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Jun 19, 2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Input not needed
Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:12 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
How about cold weather conditions. Winter has come upon the Northern part of the US.

I typically don't use a hi-start below about 45 degrees as I am concerned the rubber will start to get brittle and be damaged.

How about you?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 06:19 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,405 Posts
I don't know yet if I will set up a winch or a highstart for the New Year Woody Postal.

I may opt for the highstart because it is easier to set up......but, we'll see.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Dec 18, 2009, 07:52 PM
RLW
Joined Dec 2009
40 Posts
If you want to know the best method for holding tension on a high start, just look at what the f3b/f3j pros do.

-Grip plane under wing directly in front of towhook, with the tow line (normally a parachute at that point) gripped with the fues.

-Keep your arm strait, elbow locked, 90 degrees to the ground and some angle back from strait out to the side. (shoulder forward, arm back)

-Now the key, guide the line down your arm and across your exposed shoulder, and across your chest.

Wrapping the line across the front of your body takes away a huge amount of force. Turning away from the tow direction will take more force, when your ready to launch you simply pivot towards the tow to unweight the line from your body. This allows you to keep a more relaxed and strong grip, and allows you to walk in the direction you need to.

Now with the nose aimed high (assuming your plane is set up right), you squat down and then throw the plane nearly strait up, using your whole body to get extension.

You can easily do this while holding the Tx in your other hand, no neck strap needed (or advised).

At first it sounds odd or difficult but once you learn this method, you'll be able to pull your highstart or bungee back further than anyone, and be using way less energy and hand strength. And this will directly relate to competition launches, especially anything with stretchy line like F3b/j, where you need to hold a lot of tension to get a high fast launch.

F3J launch (0 min 16 sec)
RLW is offline Find More Posts by RLW
Last edited by RLW; Dec 18, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added video
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2009
208 Posts
Untitled (0 min 25 sec)

Pike Superior, standard xhd bungee rubber + 150m line, 25lbs pull (on a fish scale), Launch ht = 600+ft (best over 800ft), me mid-50s, 70kg.
I feel safest and most in-control gripping in front of wing, thumb n pointer on wings to control in wind, radio in left hand.
mikey100 is offline Find More Posts by mikey100
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:23 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Nice example of a hi-start launch Mickey.

RLW, those look like two many tow launches, not hi-start launches.
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 19, 2009 at 01:56 AM.