HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:22 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,257 Posts
Driving To Work Rant (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!)

It just never ceases to amaze me - even with the signs that clearly indicate (this is somewhat accurate):

Quote:
Stay in the right lane except to pass
I drive a 20 mile four lane every morning - only one traffic light. Speed limit is 65 but folks routinely drive 80. There always seem to be two cars going the same speed, side-by-side, blocking anyone from passing.

Of course, I never try to let anyone know I'm irritated (I NEVER get too close, or flash my lights, or use "hand signals" - never). But I just don't get it - why do people block the left lane, not allowing others to get around?

Are the left lane blockers simply oblivious, or are they purposely trying to irritate folks like me who just wanna do the speed limit (+ 9 ). I've been driving to work now for only two weeks, but already I've seen lots of folks get really upset (speed up & get close, flash lights, use "hand signals"). I think that's even more stupid than driving slow in the left lane - perhaps that's because I'm a wimp, or maybe it's because I have a fear of "road rage". Either way, I might get upset, but I'm not irresponsible enough to vent while driving.

(big sigh)

Okay, I'm over it now - thanks,

Buzz
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:49 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
I believe that the "left lane blockers" do it on purpose, I know a few of them. They admit that they feel it's their job to help regulate the speed limit, in fact one said 65 is the speed LIMIT not the speed minimum

My solution is My 73 chevy 4x4. It's lifted 8 inches, has 35 inch tires, and is the ugliest thing you've ever seen. The police won't even pull me over in it for fear of getting tetanus(sp.?) from all the rust and jagged edges. Anyway my method for clearing these left hogs is I come up fast and close, to the point that I cant even see them anymore. They always move. Probably get me shot someday. Mayby I better quit. Nah!
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:01 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
What I hate just as much as that is people that stay in the left lane despite the fact that traffic is comming up from behind. I really think some people think the left lane is the slow lane.
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:21 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVenture
What I hate just as much as that is people that stay in the left lane despite the fact that traffic is comming up from behind.
I agree! I'd really like to have one of those dumpster trucks with the forks up front... just slide up behind, and lift the offending idiot out of the way!

These people really need to have an ad-rectal craniotomy - get their heads surgically removed from their (language deleted by moderator)

***This post contains a rule violation. A warning has been issued***
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Last edited by Karl Bē; Nov 30, 2004 at 06:50 PM. Reason: language
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:13 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Dis courtious drivers suck.. Ill admit If somone is a moron on the road and I can tell they are in a hurry, Ill stick them behind me like this.. but only if they are an idiot.. ie: they are swerving, varying speed or generally being a bad driver.. I love watchign their rage build in the rear view mirrow.

On the other hand when I get trapped behind somone blocking the left lane.. I calmly flash my lights... if that dosen twork ill honk a little and try to let them knwo I want by...

gotta love the road!
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:18 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
I'm glad that you are employed to the point that you gripe about the commute, Buzz!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:25 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
And buzz works in, what, traffic engineering?

Hmmmm...

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Nov 30, 2004, 04:46 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,784 Posts
Buzz out here I call it left lane formation driving. I drive a four lane one way highway to work. Without fail at least one day of the week the slowest guy on the road is in the far left lane and his friends are staggered echelon right off of him so that if you do try to pass where you're supposed to you get blocked in on the right.

And, I've now been told that what was taught to me as the universal please move over headlight flash is now rude and road rage.

Hrumph.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Nov 30, 2004, 07:23 PM
sANTA mONICA
Joined Nov 2004
76 Posts
A 9mm also works wonders, from what I hear, ahhem.
DANWAY is offline Find More Posts by DANWAY
Old Nov 30, 2004, 08:54 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You said it. Oblivious.

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 01, 2004, 11:33 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
My pet peeve!
Texas actually passed a new law to clarify this; now it is illegal to drive in the left lane unless you are passing... but I don't think that any tickets are being written because it is still a big problem.
Years ago, a wonderful state trooper around here would pull the left lane road hogs over, give them a ticket for obstruction, and when they complained that they were going faster than the speed limit he'd write them another for speeding!
lymon is online now Find More Posts by lymon
Old Dec 01, 2004, 03:58 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Yeah, that is really annoying. I will flash my lights at people, but I wont tailgate, too many stupid people who might just decide to stop and see what happens.

Another story from the school parking lot, yesterday I was about to pull out. A lady in a Lexus SUV saw me get in my pickup, but was parked directly behind me, but when I first got in she couldnt pull up any. Anyways, I see that the car in front of her has pulled up more than enough so that she could pull up and let me by, so I slowly start backing up, looking in my rearview mirrors. This lady preteds she doesnt see me. I catch a glipmse of her in my mirror, and she is looking at me, but then I roll down my window to ask if she could pull up and she pretends to be reading her book and ignores me! She acts like I am not even there! I keep inching back, and even the lady behind her has backed up some to help me out, but this lady will not move, even though there is room for 2 cars in front of her! I finally get too close for comfort for me (2500 rear bumper vs. Lexus does sound fun though) and honk my horn twice, no reaction. I get out and walk up to the car and wave politely and point to the huge pickup 12 inches away from her passenger door, and she acts like she had never seen me before and finally pulls up ! I dont understand people.
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Dec 01, 2004, 06:07 PM
Southern MA. USA
Joined Jan 2003
623 Posts
The major problem nowadays is that most people sitting behind the stearing wheel on the roadways are not "driving", actual driving requires that person be aware of his speed, direction of travel, the condition of their vehicle as in, monitoring the oil pressure, engine temp., battery charge rate, they should be listening to the sounds of the auto and be aware of any changes, and als be aware of the feel of the wheel for vibrations or soft handling due to low tire presure, all this should be second nature to all who operate a motor vehicle, like breathing in and breathing out.

But it doesn't stop there, the above should be subconsiously, but the "driver should be consiously aware of weather conditions that could affect the cars operation, a wet road can cause a vehicle to hydroplane at 30 mph, that means your car is not in contact with the pavement, snow and ice means stopping power and stearing as hampered,
How close you are following the car in front of yours, what's going on around you is important.

Now that all the above has been accomplished, a driver must know the rules of the road, who has the right of way and when, these should be in your states drivers manual.
Most people don't know the law when it comes to operating on the highways, the speed limit is usually posted as well as signs cautioning about breakdown lane use, but just as important is lane use on divided highways, when on a two lane road the right lane is to be used as the regular travel lane, the left lane should only be used for passing, it is called the overtaking lane and doubles as an emergency lane for police and fire/rescue vehicles, one a three lane road, the right lane is again the regular travel lane, the middle lane is a high speed lane for traffic going faster than the posted speed, the third or left lane is again only to be used as an overtaking/emergency lane, heavy trucks cannot use the extreem left lane, fines run from $200.00 to $500.00 depending on the states law.
On four lane divided highways the above applies except that the two rightmost lane are considered the regular travel lanes for traffic going the posted speed limit.

With all that said, I can tell you that after many years as a police officer and now heavy truck driver that most people on the highways today don't do any of the things I've stated above, rather, their thinking of their jobs, picking up the kids at school, whats for supper, I've seen people fly by me at 80 mph reading briefs, eating cereal out of a bowl on their laps, women putting on lipstick, plucking eye lashes, and brushing their hair all the while with their eyes glued to the rear view mirror.

MM
Moe M. is offline Find More Posts by Moe M.
Old Dec 01, 2004, 06:53 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,257 Posts
Quote:
A lady in a Lexus SUV . . .
Okay, there's the end of that story - no longer necessary to go any further. (ha)

Quote:
I've seen people fly by me at 80 mph reading briefs . . .
I can't understand why anyone would wanna read the tags on their underwear while driving, let alone how they accomlish such a task - probably a displaced Californian just got lost in MA.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Dec 01, 2004, 07:23 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
I drive a 10 mile stretch of 6-lane interstate (3 lanes each direction) during my commute, which has a 65 mph limit. There are signs saying "Slower Traffic Keep Right," yet at least half the traffic parks firmly in the center lane, usually at or just under the limit. There are only 4 interchanges in this stretch, and they aren't overly congested.

Are people still taught to keep right except to pass? If I pass slower traffic and forget to move back over, all it takes is one person passing on the right to grab my attention. I think it's time to get the 12 volt P.A. system mounted under the hood so that I can offer driving critiques of those requiring "re-education." With the large non-English-speaking population in this area (there is NO english requirement to receive a license, and the license test is offered is no less than 10 languages), I'd probably need some prerecorded phrases to cover all drivers.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē