SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:31 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Build Log
My 70" twin 90 F-23A

Been hesitating on posting this thread, as I'm such a slow builder, so might put you all to sleep. Please bear with me.

I was hoping to get some advice/suggestion along the build, so that's may main incentive.

I was following the YF-23 thread Unclecrash (u/c) had been updating; but it has been dormant of late. I understand life & other interest may have got in its way.
Hope he resumes his effort.

Phil Lin
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:45 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Why F-23A

The F-23A was to have been the production version of the YF-23, had Northrop/McDonnell-Douglas been awarded a contract in ATF entry against the F-22 Raptor. As in such a hotly contested project, there's still some controversy as to the merit of the F-22 win; but we'll put that aside for the moment.

The hot=wired foam segment of model building had me interested, as I don't have the skill nor talent to carve from foam blocks as falcon5, CN & others have demonstrated.

I wanted to improve my meager 3D CAD skill; and the timing was such as Wisconsin winter had forced me to stop my other project, so this project jumped my queue & now would not let go.

The hot-wired foam segment method of building, as u/c, D_fast & others have shown, seem to promise a fast building & lighter weight model.

I purchased the F-23A 4-view downloaded from www.up-ship.com, & thought I can have a rarely built model project
Last edited by PhilLin; Aug 19, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:51 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
F-23A vs YF-23 Differences

For those who have not had the chance to pore over their drawings, there are noticeable differences between the prototype YF-23 & the F-23A intended for serial production, as was the case with the F-22, . There may be others, but to me, these mainly are in 2 areas:-
1) The rounded air intakes of the F version vs. the trapezoidal intake of the YF. This also carries true for the fuselage contour lines; e.g. engine pods.
2) Less pronounced chines on the Fs compared to the more SR-71 (F-12) look on the YF.
Last edited by PhilLin; Aug 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: corrected plane referenced
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:02 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Okay, I might be boring you all. So I thought I'd attach a printout from my 2.5 mos of CAD work, from which I put together the template laser cut file. There were a few trials & tribulation but finally persevered enuf

Hope its the correct file

Phil Lin
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:20 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Hi Phil,
interesting project, definetly not boring. Have you made a decision yet on which 90mm fans you'll be using?

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:37 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Thx, Dan! Glad you're interested.

Yes, I had decided on 2 x JetFan 90's. Don't know if they're v1 or v2? They were my X'mas presents (from me ). I have one located in the plane! Will attach a pix of it later.

Phil
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:52 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,863 Posts
OK, now that you have our attention how about some numbers?
WS-L-, what Kv on the motors , 6s or bigger?
Inquiring minds need to know.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:03 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Glad you asked, Cooler.

I'm building to the scale of 1 inch = 1 foot (or 1/12 scale). So the WS is about 45", fuselage length about 70.5".

I'm hoping AUW wud come to about 15-lbs; but its a long way to go yet....
So I can only finalize the kv depending on the final AUW. I'm expecting maybe 10s packs (12s if req'd), & wud avoid pushing the motor too much. The already cut main fuse foam segments are so light, its encouraging

But this thing has over 930 sq-in wing area (per classic calc.)

Phil
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:22 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
cont'd.

Some of you CAD whiz can see from attached in post #4 that my CAD software has limited capability.

Some of the problems I ran into at the start, e.g. a tendency for necking in between known x-sections, or starved cow look. Luckily, we have D_Fast on the forum. He is very knowledgeable with CADs; & he suggested using the old lofting technique. It was a way out for my s/w pkg.

The downloaded 4-views already gave more sections than most dwgs (16 known sections). But for use with the foam segment build method, I needed about 34 sections for the 70" fuse (not counting the nose & exhaust cones.

Early on, I decided to use as many of the original fuselage x-sections from the downloaded dwg in order to preserve scale fidelity. I was able to use 14 of the 16, but this also meant I could not always maintain constant 2-inch spacing, the thickness of the stock foam sheet.

Phil
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:33 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,863 Posts
That's big boy! Your build will make addition to this forum--and I'll be following along.

By the time I get my Scorpion done, no paint--it will be way too cold up here for that, I'll start back on my 1/7th scale Sabre. Wing area is about the same as yours. Mine is WS=65.5" ( the 6-3 wing) L = 63" approx 14-15lb. In fact I just got the retract units (mains) today. Got to buy the stuff when I can!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:48 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,161 Posts
my understanding of the F-23a was that the valley between the motor pods was going to be filled in . i have a friend that was a eng. on it i'll see what he knows.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:22 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
I'm taking a break from working on the main gear retract mounting. I had a version worked out, but did not account for the electric actuator. So am on a 2nd version Things can go a bit quicker if I did not have to repeat some parts.

@Cooler, you seem to have a very full plate. Keep on building. I have been following your progress.

A/S, that is interesting to know; as the downloaded drawings shows the original design. And I only have a few pixies from the rear of the YF to show that part. Read from an F-23 blog that they completed a mock up for radar cross section testing. Its really quite amazing how much tooling changes they would have needed, from those used for the YF, in order to produce the F-23A version.

Phil
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
ps: Just wanted to say that the 4-views downloaded from Scott Lowther site is of very high quality, & very inexpensive. I paid for it so there is no doubt about whose intellectual properties I can use.

Phil
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:43 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
I'm having a lot of e-mail drop off with my service at this time. Perhaps I should come back in the evening when it is not so busy?

Phil
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:46 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
My Templates

So you can see from attachment in post#4 where I extracted the required intermediate x-sections from. The outside outlines for the templates were extracted off the 3D CAD drawing. After that, there were quite a bit of decisions to make before the insides of the templates can be done; e.g. position of the gears, fans & possible area & range of movement the packs will have to allow C of G adjustment.

The attached shows the first 20+ templates I compiled & sent out for laser cutting, as Im avoiding hand cutting these templates. But still I needed to hand cut 5 cardboard templates; mostly due to changing my mind to flange mount the fans, instead of beam mounting, as some of the templates in the pix wud indicate.

Phil