HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2013, 02:42 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
New Product
FPV / UAV Catapult Launcher

I have finally got this thing working up to the level of worth showing folks. Now to just fine tune it. This launcher packs into a duffle bag, Has a hand winch (not shown) to pull back, cock and load the carriage, safety device, is scalable for different plane size ranges. Professional grade materials, Simple and very adaptable to all different type of planes to launch. Wings, pushers, tractors, etc.
Will develop bolt on launch cradles for the different type aircraft that you want to launch with it. Most importantly......Affordable....
Asia Tech Drones is offline Find More Posts by Asia Tech Drones
Last edited by Asia Tech Drones; Jun 08, 2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Wrong area
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Pricing?
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
370 Posts
Is it foldable? (duffle bag... is it something for the cat? lol) How long is active length?
It could be great if you could post pictures of the part that holds a plane.
Did you measure maximum force that could be applied by rubber band before launch? From my observations it would be necessary to use at least 8 pcs (40cm long) blue HK rubber to launch 1700g wing with 2m long launcher.
Would your construction survive such force?
Regards
Michal
tty044 is offline Find More Posts by tty044
Last edited by tty044; Jun 10, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:27 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
861 Posts
Video.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
More information

You can see a very short video clip on the launcher here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asia-...13169978765502

This is a little more basic info I've put together so far. It's still a bit "fluid" and working through minor issues but firming up daily.

* This launcher is only a platform for launching most any type medium to large fixed wing plane.
* The actual plane cradle or sling (or what ever you prefer to call it) is up to you.
* Many types of wing configurations, sizes and weights are possible to be used with this platform.
* The cradle will attach to the top of the launcher carriage.
* I will be developing these various cradles along the way as well but they are not my immediate focus.
* This is a scalable platform that has been designed to launch (Cheaply) those size planes in the 3 to 10 lbs range.
* The launcher will disassemble and go into a duffle bag for carry.
* An option of a hand winch will be offered to pull carriage back and cock for plane load. Otherwise you can do this by hand. (not advised on the bigger load set ups)
* Fully customizable; launch rail length made to optimize for your actual application. * Standard set up is currently using (3) 1 meter long pieces of extrusion. You can use 2, 1 or 4...cut to your specific required length based on your needs.
* The extrusion is off the shelf stuff.
* I will offer kit options where you supply your own Extrusion and I can supply the rest. (save money on shipping too)
* Future revs will be using 1" x 2" wide aluminum extrusion as the launch rail. That will be able to handle a 25lb plane with ease. This 1st revision will handle most sized hobby planes.

I have been trying to keep the cost down but the machining and other custom parts has driven the cost up higher than was hoped for. I still have some alternatives up my sleeve to work that problem but it will take time to work through. Right now it is looking like the price will be around $600 USD for the works kit and down from that on lesser kits.

Stay tuned....
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:06 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
Around $600 for a launcher? Other systems made of PVC pipes and bungee cords that I've seen will work fine for our FPV models here. I think you might want to reach out to a different audience of people of higher-end, heavier and harder to hand launch FPV models. Sure, it will work for us but I don't think that it would be as practical as other methods of getting a plane in the air.
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:30 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,721 Posts
That Launcher is tOo big for us FPV'ers.....
THe heaviest FPV plane I currently is no more then 9 Lbs.

We are all trying to make compact GroundStations!
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
This offering is not a piece of plastic or PVC....In fact nothing of mine is plastic other than some part of a knob. It is a professional grade launcher.....You actually don't need a launcher if you have two guys and a long bungee cord.....thats the cheapest way possible. Mine is geared towards a few dozen launches a day and a plane upwards of 10 lbs and more. Not so much for a weekend sometime warrior gig.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
RCLab1....Me too on the GCS. Tough to do however and have a professional outcome of it.

As for my launcher; A big part of what I'm making it for is an answer to the $15,000 pneumatic launchers that Micropilot and UAV Factory offer.....Crazy expensive. Also my Cyclops plane when loaded is just too heavy to mess with hand launching too. Come'on 110" wingspan and 20,000 Mah of 6S batteries alone gets scary around a 13" swinging prop.....I value my plane and more importantly various parts of my body over "chancing" a hand launch. God forbid if you tripped or stumbled with it in hand during the toss.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:15 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,721 Posts
Yes,
becareful handlaunching PUSHER props....
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:24 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia Tech Drones View Post
This offering is not a piece of plastic or PVC....In fact nothing of mine is plastic other than some part of a knob. It is a professional grade launcher.....You actually don't need a launcher if you have two guys and a long bungee cord.....thats the cheapest way possible. Mine is geared towards a few dozen launches a day and a plane upwards of 10 lbs and more. Not so much for a weekend sometime warrior gig.
Yes, but does it do a better job than PVC and $15 length of bungee? Answer: probably not.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
For MY planes.... YES it does. No question there. For a EPO X8....Who cares....I guess??
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia Tech Drones View Post
It is a professional grade launcher

Mine is geared towards a few dozen launches a day and a plane upwards of 10 lbs and more.
Again - we cannot see if it will be professional or not right now. The photos and the film you posted depict first trials of slow stick launcher for 600 USD.

Please consider to give us results of real tests. Launching 4 kg fixed wing airplane will do the job. As I can see you are just a few paces from discovering some design flaws. My initial questions touch this matter.

Good luck
tty044 is offline Find More Posts by tty044
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
@tty044
You got it and you may be right...We'll have to test this puppy out to be sure. I'll try to launch a 10-15 lbs of bricks first to see how it stands up. The engineering behind it should hold true.
Next update will be with harder data, pics and video. The rubber bungee cord used for this is a far cry from anything HK has. It is the stuff used for Spear gun fishing and pretty heavy gauge (1/16" hole in the center of 1/2" tube, stretches 700% of original)
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:03 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,721 Posts
Theres always a market of very $expensive gear, but average FPV'er will not need this, its too big.....

Its like getting one of those $400 suitcase GroundStations for a simple FPV fly around....
not needed!