HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:18 PM
manahawkin, NJ
Joined Jan 2000
322 Posts
laser or soling 1m

I would be interested in starting sailing rc models.- I live at the end of a lagoon on Barnegat Bay new jersey-marine water.

I have noticed that the 42 inch laser is completely sealed and they claim it can easely be used in salt-water environment.

I like the looks of the Soling class boats..With the eel grass abunbance the keel configuration should sluff off the grass while the laser has the stalk/bulb configuration may hoard the grass causing frequent pull-outs.. The new mini-12 with the full keel rudder may be the best..

Please advise.

Jarvis
ahab is offline Find More Posts by ahab
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:27 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Jarvis,

I'd expect a simple wire running from the front of the keel bulb to the bow should prevent most of the grass getting caught.

(The complete sealing sounds like a bonus with salt water. RC subs are built this way.)

Enemy
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:50 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I built a Soling1m as my first RC boat about 5 years ago. It is not an easy to build kit. If you get one I recommend getting the factory built keel. You can make a real mess out of epoxy and leadshot on your first try. When you finish it is sails very nicely and can handle some chop okay.

You should look and see if there are any model boating clubs in your area and see what they are sailing.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:19 PM
manahawkin, NJ
Joined Jan 2000
322 Posts
Their is a "local" club in the area racing the CR914. They are about a half-hour drive north. The cr914 is a really nice sailer but I understand a "pup" to trim and an experianced (cr914)modler will be needed to help set it up. Don't know if I want the hassle.

If you havn't encountered eel grass you could not understand my wanting to have a hull shape that discourages it. The wire may help...but..

Eel grass in shaped like very thin linguine spaghetti.. The bay is shallow in many areas and the outboards seen to mow it at low tide creating matts and a lot of loose strands that seem to have built in magnets to attach to anything moving. You have to backflush outboards regularly..Wave runners stop frequently to pull the grass from the intake. The Soling 1m with its sloping keel is a good shape..a wire from the back of the geel to the rudder may work well. The new Mini 12 with a "alberg type" full keel attached rudder should be perfect. The Mini 12 is a 45 incher with the Soling 1m sailplan, a newish design coming out of canada. beam 9", draft 8.25" displacement 16lb a scaled down 1970 america cup 12m..ec12.. type...

Will have to give a lot of thought and effort to this project.

Jarvis
Last edited by ahab; Jan 16, 2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 08:04 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Any boat can be sailed fairly easily and will sail out of trim. For just sailing around you won't have any problems. The CR914 will be a lot easier for you to build then the Soling1m will.

You will also probably get bored sailing alone after a while and will desire to race. If you aren't sure someone at the club will probably be willing to let you sail their boat for a few races to see how you like it.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jan 17, 2004, 03:07 PM
manahawkin, NJ
Joined Jan 2000
322 Posts
Ryan..

Thanks for the advise.. I will have to contact the club and attend a meeting and go from there.

Jarvis