SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:28 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Discussion
Aircraft vs. Vehicle/Ground servo

Ok I have to ask the obvious, I see some servos marketed for Aircraft use and what looks like am identical servo but marketed for vehicle use.

What's the difference? I can't think of anything that would make a difference, reason I ask is i'm shopping for servo's my latest aircraft and come across servo's with what look look like the perfect specs but then they state that they're a ground/vehicle servo.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Last edited by luke352; Jan 25, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:47 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,366 Posts
If the specs match what you want/need for your application I wouldn't worry about it too much. Highly doubt the servo knows in what it is.

The only thing that comes to mind why there would be a difference is possibly in there construction, the surface servo would be built to handle the ruff pounding of being run on uneven ground kinda like using a HARD CASE lipo isn't really need for Air use.

Not a servo expert, just my $0.02
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:26 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,225 Posts
IIRC the explanation I got from the Futaba support forum over on RCU a number of years back; air servos generally have tighter deadbands, less gear play and usually a higher resolution.

That may not be applicable today but I know I used some ground servos in a Funtana 90 when I put it together 'cause I couldn't afford the comparable air servos. They seem to work okay for that model where it's not flying very fast but those servos DO have some slop in 'em.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
I've been doing some more looking around and in one case the mounting lugs were at a different height and it mentions an overload protection on the surface servo (Spektrum A6030 vs. S6030) but in another example there is no mention of those differences so it may not be a normal difference.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352