HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:58 PM
Registered User
Brazil, São Paulo, Campinas
Joined Apr 2010
62 Posts
Discussion
Powerlab 8 V2: System Softstart

Hi guys,

I have bought a brand new PL8 to a friend of mine and in the first test, after 10 seconds of charge, the charger stopped and showed the message: #15 System Softstart

So far I have setup more than 10 PL8 - I own 2 myself - and know how to do it..

I tested the same power supply and battery with other PL8 and it worked fine.. Actually I transferred all the configs/preset from the working one to the faulty one and nothing, same issue.

Anything I could try before return??

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline Find More Posts by SkyRaptor
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,220 Posts
I would double check the connections to power supply, especially if it does not repro and low current settings. Also if you are sharing the power supply with another charger, try running it by itself.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:56 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRaptor View Post
Hi guys,

I have bought a brand new PL8 to a friend of mine and in the first test, after 10 seconds of charge, the charger stopped and showed the message: #15 System Softstart

So far I have setup more than 10 PL8 - I own 2 myself - and know how to do it..

I tested the same power supply and battery with other PL8 and it worked fine.. Actually I transferred all the configs/preset from the working one to the faulty one and nothing, same issue.

Anything I could try before return??

Alex.
Hi:

What are you using to connect the PL8 to the power supply? Meaning what connectors, wires, etc?

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:16 AM
Registered User
Brazil, São Paulo, Campinas
Joined Apr 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
I would double check the connections to power supply, especially if it does not repro and low current settings. Also if you are sharing the power supply with another charger, try running it by itself.
Thanks Gregor, the issue happens even charging at low current and running alone in the power supply. I tested charging a single 6S battery at 10A and the issue is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:
What are you using to connect the PL8 to the power supply? Meaning what connectors, wires, etc?
Hi Tim, I have replaced the stock EC5 for a better 4mm bullet (4.0mm "Super Bullet" Solid Gold Connectors). I'm electrical engineer and ran some tests to check how good this connector performs. They have a resistance of about 0.25 mOhms, I mean, a voltage drop of 15mV for 60A.

Running at full power (60A), you have less than 1W of losses per connection - they don't even get hot. All PL8 I've got for my friends (10+ units) I replaced the stock for this 4mm and all performing great. I even suggest Revolectrix to run some tests and think about this connector because almost all power supplies in the market have 4mm output.

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline Find More Posts by SkyRaptor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:37 AM
Registered User
Brazil, São Paulo, Campinas
Joined Apr 2010
62 Posts
By the way, when I powered it on for the first time, there was an error logged: "Cell No Add Up".. looks like the charged was used before.. Does Revolectrix run End of Line tests ?? This SoftStart error shows up after about 10 seconds of charge.
SkyRaptor is offline Find More Posts by SkyRaptor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:37 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRaptor View Post
By the way, when I powered it on for the first time, there was an error logged: "Cell No Add Up".. looks like the charged was used before.. Does Revolectrix run End of Line tests ?? This SoftStart error shows up after about 10 seconds of charge.
Hi:

Yes, the last test run at the factory is to hook up a battery and charge it for a few minutes. It is not unusual for a Safety Code to get logged during Factory testing.

But it sounds like you need to get an RMA started for that unit. Please contact Howard Matos (howard@fmadirect.com) to get the ball rolling.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:39 PM
Registered User
Brazil, São Paulo, Campinas
Joined Apr 2010
62 Posts
Thanks Tim, I have sent him an email.

I just wanna note this is the only unit I have got with problems - So far I have bought 23 units for my friends - we are all replacing the competitor's chargers by PL8 - and all units are performing really great.

Such great and fast support is what we expect from companies like FMA/Revolectrix.

Best Regards

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline Find More Posts by SkyRaptor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:06 PM
Registered User
Brazil, São Paulo, Campinas
Joined Apr 2010
62 Posts
Hi Tim,

I have sent an email to Mr. Matos on Sunday and to Support yesterday and so far no answer at all.

Could you please help me again.

Alex.
SkyRaptor is offline Find More Posts by SkyRaptor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Howard Matos's Avatar
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRaptor View Post
Hi Tim,

I have sent an email to Mr. Matos on Sunday and to Support yesterday and so far no answer at all.

Could you please help me again.

Alex.
Hi,

Sorry, no emails received. Please try again:

howard@fmadirect.com
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:11 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

Sorry, no emails received. Please try again:

howard@fmadirect.com
Hi:

You can also cc my email tim@fmadirect.com If something comes through, I can forward it on to Howie.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Cell Pro Powerlab 8 Charger V2 with acc $200.00 shipped fltekdiver Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Aug 22, 2012 10:11 PM
Question iChargers 3010B vs PowerLab 8 v2 paphman Batteries and Chargers 15 Jun 16, 2012 09:21 PM
Sold Powerlab 8 V2 Combo 1 With Mpa Balance Board newheliguy81 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Jun 12, 2012 08:01 PM
Wanted Powerlab 8 v2 ChrisMH Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 May 17, 2012 04:33 PM
Wanted PowerLab 6 or PowerLab 8 v2 Charger JC Spohr Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 May 08, 2012 09:54 AM